Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flatwing Streamer Video

SBS 
4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris Johnson 
#1 ·
#3 ·
He didn't say "remove the waste" :D

I've learned the advantage of buck tail over the synthetics and other hair is that the buck tail does not shrink when wet so you maintain a larger profile. I was very disappointed to find that the Icelandic Sheep hair shrinks up like marabou when wet... same with some of the synthetics.

A Fish Skull would work quite well with that pattern.

Nice video.

#4 ·
A Fish Skull would work quite well with that pattern.
Heresy, I say! Flatwings, as tied by Ray Bondorew, Ken Abrams, and Joe Cordeiro, etc., are unweighted imitations of larger bait fish and squid designed for long rods with floating lines. Abrams adapted the greased line techniques of A.E.H. Wood to the saltwater where the fly is presented without tension. Part of their effectiveness comes from dead drifting in the current seams off the beach and tidal rivers where the fly moves as a living creature near the surface.

Of course, you are welcome to fish anyway you wish but adding weight to a beautiful flatwing style seems counterproductive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.