Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Your favorite rod.

15K views 145 replies 102 participants last post by  Paul Potter 
#1 ·
Though it would be fun to start a thread where we name our one and only favorite rod. The one that made you fall in love. The rod that you can not live without. Crack a beer and lets bs about our favorite stick.

#31 ·
Talking trout rods, my first "nice" rod was a Fenwick Feralite that I used for many years. Then in the early 80's I got my first graphite rod, a 5wt Sage GFL, and that became my new favorite. I fished that rod so much I had to have it refinished. Then in the early 90's I picked up a Sage 7' 11" 4wt LL, and a 9' 5wt LL, and they became my new favorites. A few years later a friend let me fish with his 5wt Sage SP, and I loved it, so I picked one up and the 5wt LL saw less use. Then sometime in the 2000's Winston introduced the Biix rods, and my girlfriend had one in a 6wt, and when I cast it it was buttery smooth. She got me one for my birthday that year (she is now my wife for good reason), and it became my new favorite. Then a couple of years ago Hardy came out with the Zenith Sintrix rods, and I picked up a 5wt. It is an amazing rod. Powerful, delicate, light, strong. Definitely my new favorite. I don't imagine anything can be better. I still use almost all my rods now and again, but the 2 that stand out as all time favorites are the 7'11" LL and the Hardy. And yes, the first step is admitting you have a problem.....

#38 ·
9' 6" 6 wt 3 pc orvis osprey superfine from 1981. I built one of these in 81 and caught everything from trout to steelhead. a little to light for big steel over 10 pounds so had to start using a 8 wt. for that use.I broke the rod I built while light line steelheading with a spinning reel on it in about 86, than it got stolen. I just had orvis build me one on the hydro's saltwater reel-seat and components and now use it most for indi fishing.

The rod is a noodle that flex's to the handle on most larger trout so is very forgiving on tippets. I have tried to like newer rods and gone through buying and testing a bunch but always seem to go back to the original superfines of the 80's. like my friend says, he can get a bombing sage fast rod and we can cast side by side and how he says it is, that I can take a limp noodle and out cast him LMAO! CASTING RODS ARE CASTING RODS AND FISHING RODS ARE FISHING RODS TO ME, and I like fishing rods!

We down lined an older 8' 1/2" 6 wt. HMG with a GPX 5 wt. line a couple years ago and it was a dream to cast. I guess I'm just stuck in the 80's although I did just purchase a 9' 6" 6 wt. RPL in like new condition that I have not fished yet, I figure it will be my bomber for lake trout, but after test casting in the park I already know it will never fight fish like the Osprey does! TO EACH HIS OWN!

#39 ·
I have only one rod. Dawia 7#, 7'. bought it in 1973. it's all I use and have caught a lot of different fish on it. yes, I would like too have some different ones but I can't afford em. so I will stick with what I got. I do look around for older use ones but haven't found one I like. I am thinking about re doing this one and putting on new guides with some nice thread and reel holder. great thread. tight lines

Outlaw

#45 ·
I have three Fenwicks. Each of a different vintage & each of different materials, and they are all "6 wts." Each one is a 2 pc, but a completely different animal from the others. 8' glass ferralite (circa 1965, my first flyrod), a 9' boron that I picked up "used," and a 9'9" graphite "Iron Feather" that I also bought "used."
I like these rods, and probably won't sell 'em.
The Iron Feather would be much improved if I replaced the handle with a new one that has fighting butt.

However,the rod I use the most is my 9' TFO 4 wt, 4-pc Jim Teeny model. Strong lower half and fairly fast action...is a decent nymphing and streamer rod. It feels more like a 5 wt, and casts most 4 wt and 5 wt lines with ease. It feels well-matched to battle with a 15" or 16" cutthroat, or a 20" Satsop Springs stocker 'bow. A 10" or 12" trout can still put a good bend in it, but I think I could handle a summer steelhead with this rod no problem.
If I had to use only one of my current rods for all-round trout fishing and river fishing, this would be it. It has typical TFO lousy cork for the handle, so I don't have to worry about it.
I don't have a reel that I really like that is matched with this rod. I've been using 3 different reels on it, and the reel I use on it most often has 3 spools, each loaded with a 5 wt line (has decent disk drag, but no clicker...silent running...I'd take this reel to BC for lake fishing, to help avoid Loons). The other reels have 4 wt lines. I even fished it with my Medalist 1594 loaded with a 6 wt Cortland 333+ full sink, and was able to cast that line a good 40' +, and I am the worst of the worst casters on this forum.:D

#46 ·
I'm kind of stuck on older rods. A few I fish all the time and they are likely the first to come out of the tubes.
A few of my favorites.
Sage 490-4 RPL
Loomis 1086-4 GLX
Loomis 1146-2 IM6
Redington 9664S CPS
Sage 697-4 XP
As you can see, I have a thing for 6 wts.....so I broke my 6 wt addiction and bought a old school 796 RPL+ yesterday.
SF

#50 ·
I`m not 100% sure it`s my favorite , but it`s the most versatile , and unique rod I own , as it`s two rods in one .
What "it" is , is a Gary Anderson rod that is a 12 foot 3 weight spey rod , and with an extra butt section , becomes a 9 foot 4 weight single hander .
I really like it in either configuration , but I prefer setting it up as a double-hander .

Reactions: 2kayaker
#51 ·
That's a tough one, I've got a few I really enjoy. But I think my favorite rod is my 5wt Beulah Platinum trout spey. It's responsive, powerful and a 12in trout will put a bend in it and fight real nice. It really is a true trout spey. I have a lot of fun bombing sculpins on it. I've put it to the test as well with a few bows and browns over 5lbs from the Truckee river.

#57 ·
For trout as of late I like to use my blue halo fiberglass, great slow action. I was lucky enough to get a Sage gen III blank so when that is done and steelhead starts I am sure I will put that as my favorite for that was the rod that started my 2 handed casting......Full circle kind of thing.

#59 ·
I suppose my favorite rod is my 10ft. 7 weight Sage ONE paired with a blue Tibor Signature 7/8 I use for streamer fishing. Its a sweet setup and we've had some very memorable times together. I have another ONE a 9ft. 4 weight paired with a Ross F1 I use for almost all my trout fishing that is a close second.

I have a couple of those Cabelas Glass Rods I really, really like. the 5'9" 3 weight as others have mentioned are a great small stream stick.

#62 ·
I've got a few TFO's, a nice sage, beulah switch that is really nice, echo 5 wt switch that I like alot too...but I find myself using a Lamiglass "honey" 6'6" 3wt ,2 pc rod for most of my oregon coast summer creekin' trips, so i'd say at the moment that's been my favorite since last summer. It's my first and only glass rod, and it's just perfect for the type of fishing I do in my local area on small brushy creeks, and a 12" cutt feels like a steelhead on that thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.