Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Useless fishing report.

860 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
I haven't done one of these in a while now so I thought I would do one today. I went out on the Beaverhead at Pipe Organ FAS. I already had my nymph set up on my 5wt so I got it out and went to casting my two fly set up around. Well today the wind was blowing at a good clip out of the South, which was at my back. It played hob with my casting and I ended up with a nice birds nest. I was using a pink SJW and a pink emerger(this worked last year). No luck. I then tied up again but nothing doing in the fishing department.

I then put my 5wt away and pulled out my 6wt with the WB on it. I had to retie it up as my rods were together with the lanes tangled. In my hurry to thread the line I got my line wrapped around my rod and I had to cut my fly off and restring my rod. Stupid mistake. Got it all strung and tie on a Olive Zonker. Threw it out there and let it swing and began stripping it in. Had a good hit so I stripped it in a cast it out again. No love. So I reeled it in and found out my fly was gone. I trudged back to my truck and retired up another one. No love from that one. I gave up after that because the wind was blowing at a pretty good clip.

A useless report from the world's worst fly fisher.

Jim

See less See more
#6 ·
So were there any midges hatching? This time of year the fish sometimes lock in on the one consistent food source.This can really simplify things.I tend to focus on nymphs unless the fish are taking emergers on the surface,or adults.My go to sink-tip fly is a Clouser crayfish(see pics in the "First fish of 2014 thread).I swing this fly with short strips,the fish will chase it hard.But obviously you need a local population of crayfish.Sure fire options for the Madison,Missouri,where i fish the most this time of year.

#12 ·
Dude you are out fishing, enjoy it.

Knew this would include the wind blowing, a double nymph rig and a birdsnest with some bitching thrown in for good measure.

You don't know how good you've got it Old Man, relax and enjoy the ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.