Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puffy Jackets and Flat brimmed hats

22K views 191 replies 77 participants last post by  Old Man 
#1 ·
Well, this is what our forum has devolved to? I have read several threads in the past few days, all with the same rant. So what is with the "puffy jacket" and "flat brimmed hat"? It all feels like thinly veiled attacks at young "hip" fishermen. I really don't care what people wear on the river. I remember someone giving me crap several years ago for wearing a backpack instead of a vest. Who cares.

I'm not from Montana, I'm from Yelm, and I wear a puffy jacket from time to time. I don't wear a flat brimmed hat but don't give a shit if you do. The only thing I ask is that whatever you are wearing, do not step in below me. If I'm standing on the side of the river changing out flies, ask if you can fish the run. And if you are rowing down the river don't float right over the run if you can avoid it. You do those things and you can wear a thong with a pink unicorn glued to your beard.

#5 ·
I think the reason for the hate of the flat brim and puffy jackets is the same as the rock era of the 60's and 70's when parents related this to devil worship... It's totally false, but the stigma that us "whippersnappers" put out may be off-putting to the eddie bauer, tweed-wearing, purist. Fishing is cool, and if you fail to realize that, you are only part of the problem. I'm gonna keep listening to Metal and rap, wear my 59/50's, and outfishing most of the haters... (btw, puff jackets are highly metrosexual, and I refuse to wear one.)

Fish on Ladies,

Connor H

#10 ·
My puffy jacket is probably the most comfortable and versatile item in my entire wardrobe. I don't care what anyone thinks about it, I'm wearing it and thoroughly enjoying it. I never understood why people talk smack about other people's wardrobe. Makes me think those people need to channel an insecurity of their own somewhere and that's where it lands. As for the flat brimmed hat, I don't mind the look, but I like a little bend in the bill for comfort; although that gets in the way of my shades sometimes.

#15 ·
I know a few guys who wear their issued Puff jackets by Patagonia on a regular basis when fishing with me (well, until the Army wants them back LOL). They're far from metrosexual and FAR from hipsters. But they're all about quality. Plus, I'm not going to be the one to call them metro (I love my life, or shall I say I love living ROFL).

I think it's just plainly different styles clashing. You just don't think of hipsters being outdoorsmen. Just doesn't seem "right". Probably because all the ones I personally know (as in, I'm around on a regular basis) would have a coronary if they had to use anything other then a bathroom to take a leak. Let alone if they had to take a crap. So of course, anyone who looks like that get funneled into that group. It's not the first time in history it happened, won't be the last. Hell, I remember if you wore 501's you were the poor kids when I was in elementary and middle school, by time I got into high school you were "cool" if you were wearing them. Hell, I remember when grunge hit the scene. Having spent time growing up in Montesano, Aberdeen, etc I watched the prices of logging gear go through the roof (couldn't buy my favorite flannels at the Dennis Co at a decent price) after grunge hit the scene. I was automatically labeled in grunge because I had helped my uncle and was wearing similar stuff Nirvana and the likes were wearing. Ummmm, no, I was out cutting down trees for our firewood this year. ;)

Reactions: Bob Triggs
#20 ·
What's next? Will it acceptable if you wear boxers or briefs? In high school my kids are under peer pressure to wear a certain style. I'd like to think that grown adults who are into fishing (and not into watching American Idol) would have evolved beyond that type of mentality. Any day that I can get out to fish is a gift from God. I don't care wtf other flyfishers are wearing.

#24 ·
Puffy jackets and wide brimmed hats look ridiculous together. Everyone who is anyone knows you only wear fedoras with puffy jackets while flyfishing.

#27 ·
Well, this is what our forum has devolved to? I have read several threads in the past few days, all with the same rant. So what is with the "puffy jacket" and "flat brimmed hat"? It all feels like thinly veiled attacks at young "hip" fishermen. I really don't care what people wear on the river. I remember someone giving me crap several years ago for wearing a backpack instead of a vest. Who cares.
Apparently I missed those threads. But seriously? I'm far from being young or hip, but during cold, rainy conditions I wear a flat-brimmed Filson tin-cloth Bush hat and a modern Sierra Designs DriDown Gnar puffy jacket (i.e., the down insulation is treated so it is water repellent -- makes if work like synthetic fill when wet, while still retaining the light and compactible characteristics of down).

Screw "Young and Hip" -- I go for "functional and warm" whenever possible!

Reactions: Mumbles
#28 ·
I've got a down vest that is pretty puffy I found at the REI garage sale for $17 and a knockoff patagucci jacket that isn't nearly as puffy. Both keep me warm, which is my main goal and reason for wearing them.

The only reason I don't own any flat brim hats is because my wife thinks I look like silly in them. Given that "silly" outfits don't really end up with me getting laid, I tend to listen to her opinions on the subject.

#34 ·
Shit, I've seen so many styles come and go and I don't really give a shit who wears what. I wear what I put on in the morning and it has no puffy coat or a flat brimmed hat to it.

And I did get out today. Three casts and a lost set-up to the bottom. I said to hell with it and went for a drive instead. I lost 4 bucks in flies. Sob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.