Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reel Suggestion for 3 weight glass rod

Classic Reels 
9K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Jeff Dodd 
#1 ·
I just committed to buying a 6'6" 2/3 weight glass blank and will start building it up soon in anticipation for this summer's skinny water season. I'm still tossing some of the details around in my head and waiting to see the blank in person to see the exact color of it. I'd like to put a classic reel on it rather than buying a modern reel. I know nothing about old reels, so can you guys offer up some suggestions of models I should look for that will be appropriate for that size rod and won't cost a ton of money?

#2 ·
One suggestion: go "old school", with a Pfleuger (1774?) Progress. You can find them on the big shopping auction site, occasionaly in brass cage/aluminum spool. Just a beautiful old small capacity click and pawl that usually can be had for $30 in good shape. Light weight, classic looks, small diameter, sturdy enough to last another 50 years. I have several on "crick" rods and lighter bamboo rods.
Greg

Reactions: 4357
#3 ·
Greg Holt makes a good suggestion. If you wanted to go a little "older" old school, any of the light weight raised pillar "skeleton' reels would work well for not a lot of expense. Shakespeare, Winchester, Union Hardware (as well as the earlier version Pflueger Progress made in the skeleton style ) made these little reels that would suit a 3 wt. nicely.
Another nice reel that might work and is not quite as old (although a little heavier than the skeletons) is the Pflueger "Gem".
Or go contemporary and look for a Reddington CT (discontinued, but a really nice little click/pawl) or the new Orvis click/pawl that was mentioned in another thread here recently.
Have fun!

#6 ·
Or go contemporary and look for a Reddington CT (discontinued, but a really nice little click/pawl)
or the reel that replaced it, the mid-arbor & machined Drift. I have the 5/6 size that I use for my lighter rods (the 5/6 is still only 3.9 oz. empty). I use it on my 6'6" 4wt glass and it balances it out really well. I like it better than the CT (although, I liked that as well). I also have an old Pflueger Supreme 3/4 (the gold machined one) that works really really well.

#7 ·
They're basic no frills, click pawls but I would highly recommend any of these three......Edwards Manufacturing Co. #30, Horrocks-Ibbotson Sportcraft 60 and Wards Hawthorne #60-6447

Rim Circle Automotive wheel system Composite material Fashion accessory
Audio equipment Gas Machine Auto part Fashion accessory
60 or Wards Hawthorne 60-6447
Brown Amber Orange Wood Gold
Brown Wood Font Metal Fashion accessory
View attachment 26477 View attachment 26478

#8 ·
As long as we're making a "valentines list" of old favorites (and you all have mentioned some dandies), let's include the Martins, the model 61 for instance. Does anyone know if Martin built the Wards reels for a time? The 60 sure looks "Marinesque", especially the backside and the spool mounting screw.

#9 ·
Does anyone know if Martin built the Wards reels for a time? The 60 sure looks "Marinesque", especially the backside and the spool mounting screw.
They did. Martin also made reels for Western Auto Stores and even a model for Abercrombie & Fitch.
Audio equipment Circle Rim Auto part Metal
Tableware Dishware Serveware Rim Automotive tire
Manhole cover Automotive tire Manhole Road surface Grille
Bicycle part Rim Gas Audio equipment Machine
Rim Flower Bicycle part Auto part Carbon
Pink Gas Lock Magenta Petal

Reactions: Patrick Gould
#11 ·
But wait, there's more!
The Martin 61 was a ported spool clicker too, looked virtually identical (to my eye anyway) to the A&F "Yellowstone" pictured above. Offered usually in black body/silver trim.
Later on, Martin made an updated clicker model with palming rim, too (model 63SS), same light weight.

All of these were plenty light weight enough for a 2/3 glass rod, spoken in honor of the thread...

#17 ·
But wait, there's more!
The Martin 19 was a ported spool clicker too, looked virtually identical (to my eye anyway) to the A&F "Yellowstone" pictured above. Offered usually in black body/silver trim.
Later on, Martin made an updated clicker model with palming rim, too (model 63SS), same light weight.

All of these were plenty light weight enough for a 2/3 glass rod, spoken in honor of the thread...
I'm not familiar with the Martin 19. Do you have a pic by chance? I have a Martin 7 and I've seen a Martin 11 that looks like the first Hawthorne 60-6447 pic I posted.(pic attached)
Window Wood Door Gas Dead bolt
Wood Gas Wrist Auto part Electric blue

#19 ·
That is going to be a very light rod, so don't over-weight the reel. I put reels around 3.5 ounces on my glass rods that are similar. Suggestions: Abel tr light, Forbes Avon 2.5, orvis reel mentioned above, redington drift or ct 2/3, orvis cfo I or 123, lamson lp1 light, ross Colorado 1...off the top of this gear whore's head.

#20 ·
I have both Forbes Avon and Forbes Sandstone 3" reels that I use on short (less than 7') light cane rods. They balance well but your glass rod will likely be a bit lighter. The Avon is ported the Sandstone is not. TC

#22 ·
This is indeed a great thread. As a caution though before pulling the trigger on a classic reel, you may wish to consider whether or not you might want to add an additional line to your setup at a future date that will require an extra spool. While extra spools are readily available for Pfleuger Medalists, I'm unclear whether they are for some of the more obscure reels mentioned above. I seem to remember a thread a while back from a guy who ended up looking for an extra spool for an uncommon reel for over 2 years before he finally found one.

K

#23 ·
Thanks for the input Kent. I figure if I want to throw a second line on it, I might as well just buy a second reel! Not much more work and not much more space needed. Plus, it means I could have another cool classic reel in my collection.

#24 ·
Thanks for the input Kent. I figure if I want to throw a second line on it, I might as well just buy a second reel! Not much more work and not much more space needed. Plus, it means I could have another cool classic reel in my collection.
"Another cool reel" in your collection? Sounds like you're on your way to becoming a gear whore like me. Careful - it's a slippery slope!

K

#27 ·
the 1492's are neat little reals. also the Redington CT 3/4 and the Lamson LP1 (or 1.5) lite are sweet - the latter being harder to find, but worth it.
the hardy featherlight clones from berkley, diawa, heddon, etc are fairly easy to come by and very functional. i've got a few and really like them!

#30 ·
I second the three inch Beaudex idea but I'm not sure you can find one for $30.

You might be able to get a more 'experienced' American reel - many names to them but they look something like this:

And you might get a decent Airex for $30:

If you were to expand your budget...well, that would be a different conversation! :)

#31 ·
I second the three inch Beaudex idea but I'm not sure you can find one for $30.

You might be able to get a more 'experienced' American reel - many names to them but they look something like this:

Me like's the 7169 too but it's going to be too heavy for his rod. Mine balances well with a 7.5ft, 6wt South Bend White Knight. That's a cool box by the way.
Calipers Automotive tire Saw Fishing reel Clock
Organism Grass Fish Fisherman Fishing

#32 ·
Thanks guys! I think my favorite of all are the Hardy featherweight clones( daiwa 700, heddon 300, Berkeley 530, etc) , but I haven't been able to find one for sale yet. If I can't find one, I think I'll look into picking up a Martin 61 or similar.

So many great options, I just want to start collecting them. Some of my mom's friends are really into garage/estate sales, I think I'll tell them to start buying old fly reels for me if they are the right price!

#33 ·
"So many great options, I just want to start collecting them. Some of my mom's friends are really into garage/estate sales, I think I'll tell them to start buying old fly reels for me if they are the right price!"

great idea! nice old classic reels can be found that cost very little and are as functional as they are cool to look at! i keep mine on my office wall and rotate them as i see fit. it's my all-time-favorite wall art! though mostly American-made blue collar reels, a few Youngs and a DAM Quick made the last cut. here's mine today.

Shelving Shelf Houseplant Plant Circle

#34 ·
Mike, that is awesome! I agree, incredible wall art and a fantastic conversation piece. There is so much to look at with a single reel that 25 of them in one place can really keep the eyes and mind occupied for a while.

What is #23?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.