Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A rookies log.

65K views 930 replies 65 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
So I think I have finally figured out that the reason I have not caught a Steelhead yet in the past 3 years I have been trying is due to my lack of commitment.
I am now going to log and document everything I learn here on this thread and maybe perhaps someone who needs help one day can look here. So here we go.

I live in Monroe. Therefore, my home water is the Sky. Today I decided to spend the day driving up and down between Monroe and Reiter to look for good access points and good runs to fish. When I finally got to the river here in Monroe I found that the river was REALLY high. So looking around for details in the water was right out the window. I still managed to look hard for obvious pull outs and stuff where I can park my car. Perhaps studying GPS would help in finding hidden access points too? I brought my 11 year old daughter along with me also because if I can not be a successful angler I may as well give this new generation a chance. Her and I went all the way up to Reiter and found some steelhead in the ladders. Her and I got so excited and pumped.
I have also started reading some steelhead books. The current book I am reading is called " A steelheader's way", by Lani Waller. This book is really amazing and is very well written, and am looking forward to my next book purchase.
Well there you go fellas. I am sorry if this is a boring thread but I think this would be a fun experience and I would also like to make some friends here. Putting myself out there I guess you could say.

See less See more
#45 ·
I know some of you guys are thinking. "buy what you really want and what feels good". The problem is I have no idea what is best for me as far as fly rods. I will definately listen to you guys than the cabelas guys. It is alot like the expereince I had when I went to best buy to buy hometheater equipment. I figured out that I had to either know all the info myself or have a trusted outside source to help me. This appears to be a similar situation. Laugh all you want guys. This is actually kinda fun. My wife is pissed though.

#49 ·
One thing to note that I have learned from a rookies perspective is that feeling a rod there in the store does not tell you anything. I have found that a rod feels completely different once the reel and line are on. This brings another point also why benefits to go to a local fly shop who will let you actually cast before you buy.

#53 ·
Daniel.

Most fly fishermen are crazy, so don't worry. You're in good company altho your wife may disagree. I think the place you need to begin is with an 8 wt rod that you like to cast. If you don't know how to fly cast, then whatever 8 wt a casting instructor says isn't a POS will do fine for starters. I'm not familiar with your specific rod, but I can't imagine that the TFO Pro won't serve you well.

What I meant by products and services that will up your game is things like instead of buying a $400 rod, buy a $100 rod and $300 worth of casting lessons. Same cost, but the latter will put you many miles ahead. An expensive rod is a lousy investment for a person who can't cast worth shit. And good rods don't make newbs into good casters. Most any ole rod and instruction and practice to develop good technique is what makes a good caster.

Now that you've got a rod, you need a line. Unlike fly rods, the cheapest fly lines are unwise investments. The good news is that you don't need the most expensive line either. My rule of thumb is to avoid lines of lesser quality than SA Air Cell Supreme (which may be discontinued, so whatever replaced it) and Cortland 444 Peach floating lines are high quality, durable, have slick finishes that cast well.

The cheapest reel that I know of and will vouch as steelhead serviceable is the Pflueger Medalist. Size 1495 will hold 100 yd of 20# dacron backing and a WF8F line. I have 3 Pfluegers, but confess to not using them. I've spent untold dollars on reels that put a smile on my face, but they don't play and land steelhead any better.

When you get a reel, get a spare spool. You could buy a multi-tip fly line and have one reel with one spool, but life is more fun with a floating line that doesn't have the tip section looped on. The second spool should have a floating line, either cut and looped for multiple tip sections or make your own. DIY is what I've been doing for decades, so I don't own any store bought multi-tip lines except a Spey line I won in a raffle. I like an SA Air Cell Supreme cut back 15' from the tip and looped. There are numerous ways to do this. My way is simple and works well. Dip the line in acetone (nail polish remover) and strip about 2 1/2" of PVC finish off. Fry 1/2" of the nylon line core to separate the fibers. Wind and whip finish 1/2 to 5/8" with fly tying thread to form a loop. The wound part is stiff, and the loop is droopy and limp. Coat the whole shebang with Pliobond cement, let dry, then add a second coat. Now the loop is pliable but stiff enough to not hinge when casting. Make a floating tip with the section you cut off. Make, or just buy some 15' RIO sink tips in Type III, VI, and VIII. Add 4' of 10# Maxima leader material, knot a fly to the tippet, and you're set to fish.

Sg

#55 ·
all the above is a great idea, but you might see if your local fly shop offers that service, watch closely and next time you can diy. likely they will do it for a minimal cost, especially if you boy a line and some tips there. tell them you are done with cabelas, and you will both be smiling.

#56 ·
Yeah I would say that I really am done with Cabelas. Honestly there selection is not very good over there. I asked about the RIO multi tip line set in 8 wt and he did not even know they existed. Just to get everyone else caught up I have all the other gear I need like line and a reel and stuff. NOW I do not know if the reel I have is "good" or not. It is about 3 years old and is an Okuma SLV. If you guys say not to run this reel then I wont.

#61 ·
never too early for a good chuckle :D amy hazel says wear a big sombrero, that analogy really helped me inn the beginning. for a single handed casting, a peter pan hat would probably be better. make sure your reelis black,because black goes with everything.

#65 ·
Unnecessary, but if you're gonn'a have one, make it 5" long. The 2" ones are practically a waste of space.

After a gratifying 5 fish day with no fighting butt, I was complaining about how my elbow tendonitis was giving me a fit. My friend strongly suggested I stop complaining about something that "hurt so good."

Sg

#66 ·
Unnecessary, but if you're gonn'a have one, make it 5" long. The 2" ones are practically a waste of space.

After a gratifying 5 fish day with no fighting butt, I was complaining about how my elbow tendonitis was giving me a fit. My friend strongly suggested I stop complaining about something that "hurt so good."

Sg
Okay cause I actually have a ww grigg 8 wt that I have had for 3 years and was my first. I actually really like the rod but the fighting butt broke on it. I was thinking about taking this TFO back and putting that 100 bucks towards a good set of wading boots. So if people can survive without the fighting butt perhaps I may still keep running my old 8 weight for this season.

#79 ·
Daniel,

People report great satisfaction with Simm's Guide boots. I looked at them and think they're god-awful heavy. I've been wearing Patagonias for several years. Very light and comfortable, but they just don't last. So I recently bought the Simm's Headwaters, their lightest weight model. A couple friends report that they are comfortable and durable. I haven't used them yet. I'm thinking about installing studs first. They're available either in felt or vibram sole.

In the interests of entertainment I recommend reading the books others have mentioned. But if you want to learn how to fish for steelhead, I recommend reading "How to fish good for steelhead" by Salmo g. Except it isn't finished or available, except for the parts included in this thread and others over the years on the WFF board. You should get together with Francis and see if some of your sense of humor rubs off on him. He's a bit sensitive to my assholish insults when all I was trying to do was help him out, well, and keep this site entertaining.

Sg

#80 ·
Daniel,

People report great satisfaction with Simm's Guide boots. I looked at them and think they're god-awful heavy. I've been wearing Patagonias for several years. Very light and comfortable, but they just don't last. So I recently bought the Simm's Headwaters, their lightest weight model. A couple friends report that they are comfortable and durable. I haven't used them yet. I'm thinking about installing studs first. They're available either in felt or vibram sole.

In the interests of entertainment I recommend reading the books others have mentioned. But if you want to learn how to fish for steelhead, I recommend reading "How to fish good for steelhead" by Salmo g. Except it isn't finished or available, except for the parts included in this thread and others over the years on the WFF board. You should get together with Francis and see if some of your sense of humor rubs off on him. He's a bit sensitive to my assholish insults when all I was trying to do was help him out, well, and keep this site entertaining.

Sg
Thats funny shit. But, who the hell is Francis? If you are working on a book I think that is the coolest thing. As far as my sense of humor rubbing off on other people I can do my best but sometimes it just does not work.

#81 ·
So here is the deal. I need to know if my Okuma SLV reel is going to be reliable WHEN I finally hook one this year. I am at the point that I am so determined to hook a steelhead this year. I had a horrible dream that I finally hooked a big steelhead and my reel started smoking and gave in, and lost the fish. LOL So if you guys think I should ditch the Okuma I will because if the Okuma does not have a good reputation for being reliable then I need to get another reel. If you guys do think I need another reel can you help me keep in around 150 bucks or less?

#86 ·
At this point the gear (rod/reel/flies) you have will catch (and land) a steelhead. You can continue to change up the components if it makes you happy but it's not going to put you on a fish any sooner. If you want to shorten the curve stop spending money on new gear and save it for a trip with a knowledgeable guide or try to make friends with a successful steelheader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.