Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Force Fin question

6K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  SHigSpeed 
#1 ·
I've seen the Force Fin sizing chart, but it seems a bit "off" to me. I realize the wording is clear on suggested sizes, but was hoping someone here can confirm the size reference.

If I have a boot size 11 (and plan on wearing my boots), do I really need fins in XXXL?

#6 ·
I've seen the Force Fin sizing chart, but it seems a bit "off" to me. I realize the wording is clear on suggested sizes, but was hoping someone here can confirm the size reference.

If I have a boot size 11 (and plan on wearing my boots), do I really need fins in XXXL?
What about the adjustable ones?

#14 ·
Huh? They are the same blade, just the upper is different, I thought.
Okay, I may have to rethink the adjustable type. Great info guys, thank you.

Jerry, that's the kind of info I was looking for. However, I'm starting to wonder if I want to even wear boots after those last few posts...? :confused:

#10 ·
As usual, I'm a weird duck. I bought a pair of Force Fins and hated them. They were the adjustable style and from what I've been told by those who love the things, they work just as well as the non-adjustable style and are... well, adjustable to fit your feet.

Over the last couple of decades, 90% of my flyfishing is done on stillwaters. I've tried a number of fins and am still sold on the full-foot scuba style. I don't wear wading boots while fishing stillwaters because I don't need the extra weight on my feet.

The problem I had with the Force Fins isn't really logical. They fit fine and all that and they did work but not as well as I expected. The problem I had is they gave me leg cramps.
I have no idea why.

I found that when I used my full foot scuba type fins my legs did not cramp. When I used the Force Fins they did. So I sold them.

Like I said, it isn't logical but for me, it was a fact.

However, a lot of folks love the product and I can't see where the adjustable style would be any less effective at propelling you through the water than the non-adjustable style. If you don't think you can live without Force Fins, buy the adjustable style.

#11 ·
Dave
For size 11 to 13 or so I'd suggest xxl FFs and xxl rubber soles dive booties over stocking foot waders. Very comfortable, and clean (no snag) in the water. Wearing boots while finning a lake seems clunky and uncomfortable IMO.
The dive booties are somewhat sacrificial but will last a long time. I get them here (Seattle) at Underwater Sports. If you'd like help getting a pair let me know.

#12 ·
http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_onlinestore/fins/aqualung_rocket_fins.htm

Check these out. I used these fins when I was a rescue swimmer in the Navy. Stiff and powerful, they're made to be used with a straight leg kick with no bending of the knees. I never used them with a pontoon or float tube, but I always thought they'd work well because of the power. I've seen some guys using fins that were ridiculiously wimpy for pushing around a pontoon or float tube. The Rocket fins would definitely be more power than the Force fins but the one issue may be leg strength. You do need to work a little harder to push fins that are as stiff as the Rockets. The tradeoff is you have a lot more power at your disposal when you need it, like finning against the wind.

Reactions: FinLuver
#15 ·
I have the adjustable as well. They are a pain to get on and off and you get less force. You need them if you wear real wading boots or boot foot waders. I got them for winter fishing with the boot foot waders.

The Glacier glove booties are like dive boots, they have some protection on the soles. You wouldn't hike in them but they are good to get between the truck and the lake in most conditions. Anything like that works fine and provides a little warmth.

I think you want something over the wader booties to prevent wear. I use a polyester sock (very large size) then booties and have had no wear issues. A friend who doesn't has the issue.

#16 ·
I have the adjustable as well. They are a pain to get on and off and you get less force. You need them if you wear real wading boots or boot foot waders. I got them for winter fishing with the boot foot waders.

The Glacier glove booties are like dive boots, they have some protection on the soles. You wouldn't hike in them but they are good to get between the truck and the lake in most conditions. Anything like that works fine and provides a little warmth.

I think you want something over the wader booties to prevent wear. I use a polyester sock (very large size) then booties and have had no wear issues. A friend who doesn't has the issue.
You bring up a great point. WEAR on boot or shoes. I used the adjustable for about 10 years (still in great shape). I like the idea of Neoprene next to my Simms boot. No wear at all. Not sure what you mean by pain, put foot in and clip top. I NOW use Omega fins and actually trying to get that rubber heel strap over my boots in a seat position is more taxing.
One thing I did notice about Force Fins, I were s size 8 or a mans 7 so I had a lot of the fin and they worked great although weighing a lot. My hubby wears a size 12 and there was very little fin showing after sticking his boot in.
Omega's have won me over hands down. I love the longer scuba style fin. You can actually move on the up and the down stroke. Can't do that with FF. You barely have to move your feet with Scuba Fins. BUT, if you love Force Fins you would definitely have to try Scuba for a couple of days as it takes that long to learn you don't have to power the fin, just slightly move your foot.

#17 ·
Ive used FF for years and have both.My feet would get sore and tired in the non-adjusts, so I bought adjustables and have loved them for years.My son wears the old ones now and put some miles on them at Chopaka last weekend with no prob.He is a sz 9, xl fins, and just aqua sox for booties.I have the same dive booties ive used for years. Id like to know why the price of non-adjustables has gone through the roof and not for the others?? I put tethers on for my boy incase they came off his feet. Never know with a 12 year old.....my 2cents

#18 ·
Supply and Demand... That's why the adjustable ones are more $$$. People really want them so they can charge more because folks are willing to pay more.

#20 ·
You are right! I'm not sure I was looking at the right thing before.

I stand corrected, thank you! I went back and looked at my searches, and I think I may have been comparing the original scuba ones... not sure...:confused:

Thanks for clarifying that for me (us). :)

#21 ·
:)Hands down the best set of fins in the world-Frankenfins! You are looking at the only pair in existance, about $35 plus the cost of two quick release straps. On or off in less than 5 seconds and no looseness or wiggle ever. Powerful yet with soft tips that are easy on the legs. The 10 year old boots (about 30% Aquaseal by now) will be upgraded next month. Ya just can't buy stuff this good over the counter.
Glove Sleeve Yellow Grass Outdoor recreation

#23 ·
:)Hands down the best set of fins in the world-Frankenfins! You are looking at the only pair in existance, about $35 plus the cost of two quick release straps. On or off in less than 5 seconds and no looseness or wiggle ever. Powerful yet with soft tips that are easy on the legs. The 10 year old boots (about 30% Aquaseal by now) will be upgraded next month. Ya just can't buy stuff this good over the counter. View attachment 27991
I see Caddis fins (the green tips - I have owned a couple pair and they work great) but what are the black parts, Outcast?

Very cool!

_SHig

#22 ·
Ive-even thought they are good, you have to put up with the the grief your friends give you every time you pull them out of the truck!;) BTW-I really like my adjustable force fins. I use boots with them most of the time, because I fish rivers a lot and take the fins off to wade fish sections of the river. But for cold water in a lake I use neoprene booties and you can use either one with the adjustable ff's. Rick

#24 ·
The black part is Watermaster(cheap black stiff plasticized rubber) and the Caddis fins are the old ones made of perhaps silicone rubber. More expensive but far more flexible. As good as the Caddis fins were they had several weaknesses. The expensive material(they were eventually molded out of the same cheap crap everybody else uses), a lace up design that required a lot of pull to tighten and small grommets set in soft material that had to absorb all of that pull. They were difficult to put on and get just right but once they were on they were the Cadillac of fin power.

Then Force Fins came along and everyone jumped on that bandwagon. The problem with FF is that they have never really improved or morphed into something better. They are what-a 40 year old design by now that is still being sold at premium prices but with no significant upgrades. After using FF and my cobbled up Frankenfins I can tell you for sure that there is room for improvement on FF. I would compare them to the 8-track player in my '69 Volvo-great at the time but time has passed it by. The only reason people are so gung ho about
Force Fins is that they have never used anything better. We would still love our 8-tracks too if cassettes, CD's and MP3 players hadn't come along.

I can envision a much cleaner method of ingress/egress along with more power. One area that needs to be investigated is the use of multiple durometer materials ranging from stiff to soft for different zones on the fin. What works at the heel is not necessarily the tight material for the tip of the fin. The materials are readily available and molding machines that do this have been around for years. If Force Fins would spend some money on R&D instead of just squirting rubber in the same old mold and pocketing the profit you guys would see some fins that are truly worthy of your raves. If you are charging $200 for a set of fins just saying my 8-track is better than your AM radio is not enough.

Ive

#25 ·
From a fellow Caddis fan, here is what I'm left with...

Funny story, I went into a favorite lake a few years back and was sad to lose one of my black fins on the trail coming out. Not long after, a friend of mine mentioned that he still had a pair of fins that I had loaned him twenty odd years ago! A pair of green Caddis fins! :)

So I hike back up to the same lake with my "new" green fins, and wouldn't you know one falls off my foot and it sinks! I could have SWORN these float, but maybe the extra hardware tilted it the wrong way?

So I have one black, one green.

You can see the mod I made on the green pair - using some poly tubing to set the pocket width I used zipties to bind the sides together. Also, in place of the ladder lock strap I added a simple bungee so no adjustment necessary.

That said, I do use non-adjustable FF for my drive-up lake fishing. Though I can't propel forward with the FF like I can with the Caddis, they are very comfy and efficient for me if a bit (lot!) on the heavy side.

As for variable stiffnesses/durometer, I agree. For my ultralight backpacking fins that I'm building, the main spars for the blade of the fin are doubled up to about half length, then single for a "fast action". The platforms also flex to a certain degree to push more than churn and it's a simple slip in / bungee heel affair.

Check out http://washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/custom-ultra-light-float-tube.74396/page-6 for more details on the fins (and my tube).

_SHig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.