Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Her Ladyship's first moving water float!

849 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Jake Dixon 
#1 ·
Giving credit, (and not a few praiseworthy strokes to ensure "domestic tranquility") where it's due, I have the honor to report that at the deft and gracious hands of Freestone, Lady Tandy completed her very first "moving water" float in her Watermaster, dominating the raging Methow River yesterday. We floated from Winthrop to Twisp, which was a huge distance, especially for a first time-out trip. It's 11 road miles between the two towns I think, and the river's definitely further than that!

Her Ladyship quickly grasped the concepts of shuttling away from problems, setting up for a run in fast water, and working eddies, and proceeded to have a blast on her first float! I began to realize that i could trust the lines she picked through the skinny water and the rock gardens, so quickly and thoroughly did she grasp the fundamentals!

Great thanks to Freestone for taking us on this trip, even though we're both trashed this morning (my arms are shredded), and for turning us onto the bakery in Twisp! Unfortunately, as is my usual practice, the doofus left the stupid camera in the truck... I've just never been a shutterbug! We caught some nice fish, learned a great stretch of river, even saw a mule deer doe with 3 fawns that couldn't have been over two weeks old. Triplets isn't something you see often in the mule deer world.

See less See more
#9 ·
That's great Alex! I'm heading over tomorrow and may do that same float with Patty, although in a two man Scadden. That is a nice stretch of river! (and the rolls at Cinnamon Twisp are definitely worth a trip!) Rick
Rick, there's so much fantastic water there, you really don't want to pass it up! I need to put the trailer at Riverbend in Twisp, and if I can pry myself away from the bakery, the "dawn patrol" should happen!

#3 ·
Alex, that's great that your wife quickly learned the basics of rowing on moving water and is up to giving it a try. Good going Freestone... might be a few others of us needing your ability to connect and ease the apprehension of husbands trying to teach our better half how to drive on liquid roads!

#4 ·
Great stretch of river for a first float. A watermaster probably made it funner. Good on freestone for guiding you guys.

#5 ·
I had a blast with Alex and Tandy! She was a natural who needed very little coaching. The Winthrop-Twisp stretch is much tougher than the Yak canyon but she handled it like a champ. I used my fins all day and used the oars as little as possible so I could fish on the go. After 11 miles of finning, my legs were like rubber!

I have to thank Alex for letting me borrow a pontoon for the trip. It is ironic that someone with double digit boats had to borrow one, LOL! But I was already up there when we planned the trip so Alex was gracious enough to bring one up for me.

And Rick, I think we have two new converts to the Cinnamon Twisp! Tandy said it was one of the best things she'd ever eaten - and I have to agree!

Here's a shot of Alex having fun:

Water Sky Boat Plant community Vehicle

#14 ·
I'd love to join you guys some time but I don't do cinnamon rolls at artisan bakeries. Let me know when you "man up" and have bacon, eggs, hash browns, sausage gravy and a shot of whiskey, then I might get interested! :D

Oh...good job Tandy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.