Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

tippets whats best??

4K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  10incher 
#1 ·
So I was wondering every ones take on this. I am sure this seems a little odd but I ask because I believe some are better than others. I have been using some cheap cortland stuff you can get at walmart and it works ok but I notice that it will twist up and I figure that is because its not top of the line. So I figured that I could get ppl's opinion on what the feel is the best, that way when I go to change I can make sure I get something that is not bunching up. Hate when my hoppers are next to a nice little wad of line but I swear that the fish try to take it to sometimes.

#4 ·
Most folks will have their favorites, whether it is based on any particular evidence or not.

If you are getting twisting on your tippet, it may not be the fault of the tippet. You may be using a fly that is too large for the tippet, or the way the hackle is tied may be causing it to propeller (or a combination of these two); both can cause tippet to twist up.

I only think it matters much at the very small diameter when fishing for trout. I carry Maxima ultragreen in the larger sizes and a couple of different brands at 6X.

D

#5 ·
Most folks will have their favorites, whether it is based on any particular evidence or not.

If you are getting twisting on your tippet, it may not be the fault of the tippet. You may be using a fly that is too large for the tippet, or the way the hackle is tied may be causing it to propeller (or a combination of these two); both can cause tippet to twist up.

I only think it matters much at the very small diameter when fishing for trout. I carry Maxima ultragreen in the larger sizes and a couple of different brands at 6X.

D
So what do you recommend to get this to stop happening. I mean some times you need 6 or 7 x and a bigger fly?

#32 ·
Sounds to me like your twisting problem might be a combination of casting mechanics and using too-small tippet on too-large fly patterns. Even on Stillwater, where fish can be notoriously leader-shy, I rarely fish anything smaller than 5x, and then only with dries or small nymphs at say size 12 or smaller.

When I fish larger dries, say size 10 or bigger, the smallest I'll use is 4x. With streamers or heavily-weighted nymphs, I prefer 3x. With large streamers on a sinking line, I use a shorter furled leader with 3x or 2x tippet.

Unlike Richard (with whom I've fished a lot), I almost never use 6x. When I do it's only for very small (size 18 or smaller) dries.

K

#13 ·
One of the old ways of determining proper tippet size was to divide the size of the fly by 3. So if you are throwing a size 10 hopper then a 3x tippet would be proper.

It sounds like you are trying to throw hoppers on a big hook on 6x or 7x. With that you will always get twist because the tippet is too small in diameter to turn over the fly.

#15 ·
I have been throwing hoppers on 6x. Size 8,10 so that is what I have been doing wrong thanks foe the help. Don't I have to worry about the fishing getting spooked by using bigger tippets? I thought that was the point in using the smaller ones?

#17 ·
The smallest tippet I carry is 5x, and I usually use 4x or larger for trout. I know there are places where 6x or 7x are commonly used, but have found that a good presentation is usually what matters. Except in really technical situations - hoppers not being one - you can get away with the bigger tippet diameter, and you can land and release them faster so less stress on the fish.

#21 ·
Hoppers and other large flies can spin resulting in a twisted line. It usually happens at the end of the drift when the fly is dragging in the downstream current. If it happens more than once, I change flies. It seems some flies are tied so as to be unbalanced resulting in spinning under pressure.

I use 5x and 6x for trout and have been using Orvis tippet - mostly because I live close to their store and its convenient to stick with one brand so the spools connect to each other.

#22 ·
Good point on sticking with one brand Steve. I use Rio and Orvis but the new Orvis nesting and free wheeling spools are the easiest to use that I have ever experienced. They simplify the often messy process of stripping off a new length of tippit without somehow making a rats nest of the adjoining sizes. Once the Rio is gone I'll use the Orvis Mirage and Super Strong exclusively.

Ive

#24 ·
Good point on sticking with one brand Steve. I use Rio and Orvis but the new Orvis nesting and free wheeling spools are the easiest to use that I have ever experienced. They simplify the often messy process of stripping off a new length of tippit without somehow making a rats nest of the adjoining sizes. Once the Rio is gone I'll use the Orvis Mirage and Super Strong exclusively.

Ive
Orvis also sells the leader/tippet combo backs with 2 leaders and a spool of tippet for a real good price so I have been sticking with them exclusively...good stuff and save a few bucks.

#26 ·
Monofilaments are chemical compounds made with different formulations. Some, like Gladyl from the 1960's and Nylorfi from the 1970's were very kink-prone, and once they developed those little pigtails, I could never straighten them out. Maxima Ultragreen and Chamelion have minimal tendency to kink.

#27 ·
If you really like the 5x 6x tippet and you are going to be fishing 10 and bigger hooks then Orvis Super Strong cannot be beat for this application.It will not twist up on you no matter how ugly the fly is tied and if you let your backcast stretch right out then you are in a land of perfection on presentation.

#30 ·
I do think tippet-to-size ratio is underlooked by most anglers. That said, I try to never go beyond 4x unless I have to. I find that the 4x/5x difference to be really big as far as kinks, knots (mostly getting knots out when they happen), turnover, etc. That isn't to say I that I don't use 5x and 6x. But only when I think I really have to. Some things would be easier on 3x, but I often just stick with 4x.

Big fan of Seaguar for fluorocarbon. Caught my share of spring creek fish on 6x seaguar fluoro. I'm a believer. For mono/nylon I've always had good luck with Umpqua. I almost always tie my own leaders and for most of the larger sections ( >.010) I use Maxima clear.

#31 ·
I buy the small spools of "leader" material in mono. Much better value. Usually Stren original or Trilene XL in clear. I'm not great with knots so I use a back to back double grinner for line to line connections and fluorocarbon is too brittle for this knot. I can tie the other knots (surgeons and blood) and I test, non scientifically, different materials with different knots. So, it's mostly because of my knot MO that I use mono. I love fluorocarbons thin diameter, low stretch and low visibility. It's finicky with certain knots though.

#34 ·
I prefer the monofilament over the flourocarbon simply because it seems to hold my knots best. 5x and 6x just because it makes me feel like more of an angler if I can land the bigger fish on smaller tippet :)
Huh?!? And I've been using 5x and 6x tippets because the small flies I tie on for little brushy creeks act like they're tied to a stick if I use anything bigger. Isn't playing bigger fish longer on light tippets on purpose sort of irresponsible since it increases post release mortality? I'm not a raving hater or anything, just offering it for consideration.

Reactions: JayH
#37 ·
I've never found a need to go smaller than 4x, even on spring creeks where regulars swear you can't catch fish on anything bigger than5x.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.