Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Echo 3 opinions? Other 4wt recommendations?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  greenomics 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a 8'6" 4wt to add to my quiver. I already have an 8' 3wt to throw dry flies on small streams and a 9' 5wt as an all-arounder and guest rod. Both are Redington CTs.

I mostly fish small and medium sized streams. I'd like this rod to throw dry flies and also hopper/dropper and smaller dual nymph setups. I've seen some good deals on the Echo 3 recently, but there is a paucity of reviews for it.

I'm also open to recommendations for medium-fast and fast action rods in the $200 price range.

Thanks.

#4 ·
While 8'6" 4wt logically seems like halfway between 8' 3wt and 9' 5wt, I think a 9' 4wt does all the small stream stuff an 8' 6" does, and casts dries for distance, mends, and nymphs better. A few more low-mid range rods to try if you get a chance: Loop Xact, Greys XF2 Streamflex, Winston VSL/Passport, Sage Flight etc.

#7 ·
Thanks for the responses. While I do like my CTs, I was looking for something a tad faster.

The Echo 3 caught my eye because it is on discount right now and scored well in the 4 weight shootout. Admittedly that was the 7'10" model and there were complaints of it being too stiff for short casts.

#13 ·
In my opinion the Sage Z-Axis 4wt is the best fly rod ever made. I've had mine since they were brand new and fish it whenever I possibly can. It's got good backbone for when you need it, but has a sensitive feel so even small fish are fun. I'm actually thinking about trying to find another one as a backup because I dig it so much. Not sure you can find one to fit your price range, but it'd be worth searching. Let me know what you find ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.