Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Heavy weather

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Greg Price 
#1 ·
Statement as of 10:38 AM PDT on September 14, 2013

... A vigorous low pressure system will bring showers and scattered
thunderstorms to western Washington Sunday into Sunday night...

A big change to the western Washington weather pattern will unfold
Sunday. Low pressure off the Oregon coast Sunday morning will lift
northward bringing a change to unsettled weather across western
Washington. A strong marine push is expected ahead of this system
around late morning or midday Sunday producing a burst of breezy
southwesterly winds. Securing loose items like garbage cans and
patio furniture is recommended. Those on the water in watercraft
should be especially cautious of the rapid onset of winds.

The air mass aloft will become unstable during the day Sunday.
Monsoon moisture over the northern Great Basin will also be pulled
into the Pacific northwest. This combination will result in
widespread showers and scattered thunderstorms. General rainfall
amounts from noon Sunday through midnight Sunday night will range
from a quarter to a half inch across the area. However... some
thunderstorms could produce locally heavy rain amounts over an inch
in a short period of time. This could result in localized ponding of
water on roadways and may overwhelm drainage systems.

Monitor the latest forecast and statements from the National Weather
Service. The latest information can be found on
www.Weather.Gov/Seattle/ ... listening to NOAA Weather Radio and
National Weather Service social media.

See less See more
#3 ·
Weather reporting has become a bother lately. They used to say there will be high winds and rain. You knew with that warning that you had to batten down the hatches. Now they tell you to put your things away or tie them down.

Just last week they had some thunder and lightening coming through the area. When you heard that you knew to get in out of the weather. Now they tell you to. Anybody with common sense knows to get out of the weather. Lately when they report things they feel that they have to tell you what to do as if you didn't already know. They must think that we are a bunch of new born babies and don't know anything.

#4 ·
Haven't you heard, Jim?...

It's because personal responsibility has become a thing of the past.
Everyone seems to want someone else to take care of them and if something goes wrong in their life, someone else is to blame.

Weather forecasts are entertaining sometimes though. And sometimes they get it right!

#14 ·
I've read that the Pacific NW is one of the most difficult areas for predicting the weather.
Sometime in November it will begin to rain here in Clear Lake and continue on and off, but mostly on, until around the fourth of July. At which point the rain will change from on and off steady to thunderstorms more reminiscent of what the rest of the country experiences.

Then in November it will begin to rain here in Clear Lake and continue on and off, but mostly on, until around the fourth of July. At which point the rain will change from on and off steady to thunderstorms more reminiscent of what the rest of the country experiences.

Then in November it will begin to rain here in Clear Lake and continue on and off, but mostly on, until around the fourth of July. At which point the rain will change from on and off steady to thunderstorms more reminiscent of what the rest of the country experiences.

#7 ·
Yep, We could be in Denver or Boulder
I hear ya' Daryle. My post wasn't meant as disrespect for weather forecasting and it's value to society. Rather it was in agreement with what Old Man Jim said above. I really don't want the weather forecasters telling us things like what Jim mentioned. We can figure that stuff out for ourselves.
I wish the folks in Colorado well.

#8 ·
You sit there staring at the boob tube like a drone, and when they tell you something you dont like.... you get pissy:rolleyes: . Instead of having the shit sandwich fed to you while in your recliners, find the information yourself.

#23 ·
I am always amazed that weather people make great guesses. My hat is off to those who make my outdoor life more predictable. Last month they forcast thunder/lightning for one of my camping weekends. I thought "no way" because when I set my tent up it was 80 degrees, but that night had a rip roaring thunderstorm that woke me up about midnight. No harm, tent leaked a little, but it was warm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.