Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any Spooky Fishing Stories?

4K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  Old406Kid 
#1 ·
In the spirit of Halloween, I was curious to see if anyone has ever had something spooky happen to them while out fishing and wanted to share.

Happy Halloween,

-Breck

#35 ·
I was fishing the Madison last Aug, working my way up the bank toward my friend when I noticed I was being stalked by a huge angry beaver. I increased my pace, the beaver increased his and started to close distance. About 10 feet downstream of my fishing partner, I bid the customary "catch anything" to which he responded, "nope." I made a tactical move around and past him, placing my good friend between me and the angry beaver and bid him luck as I rounded the bend. It took a few seconds before I heard the ycommotion. I never realized ole Jim could run that fast. Normally I would not put a beaver in the "scary" class but this one was huge with buck teeth and beady eyes. I warned ole Jim about casting from atop of beaver lodges but he would not listen.....

#37 ·
This is a great thread! I was wading the Skagit for the first time a while back, river left, on the outside of a hard right hand bend, so there was already a good current. Suddenly, a wall of water and a wave are coming at me fast from nowhere. There were a couple seconds of panic and backpedaling for shore, thinking all sorts of scary sh!t, before I realized there were multiple dams upriver releasing water. What an idiot...

And then there was the run-in with the machete wielding, backwoods gold miner way out on the SF Stilli... That one was a bit scary.

#38 ·
I fished the Russian River in Alaska years ago with three friends. On the drive in, I noticed a nice little stream (Quartz Creek). We fished the Russian for a couple of days along with 500 other fishermen, two brown bears and several black bears - not my kind of fishing.

I talked my friends into grabing our 5wts and heading back to try that creek. It was a beautful little stream and there wasn't another fisherman in sight. That creek ended up having some nice sized Dollies and Rainbows that were easy to catch using an egg pattern.

My friend and I were downstream and out of sight of my other friends, when I noticed the water I was standing in, turn blood red. I watched the reaction of my fishing partner, who was downstream of me, when the discolored water reached him. He immediately stopped fishing and looked at me and asked "What the fuck is that?". I could only shake my head. We talked about what it could have been - a lot of things were discussed. We were both thinking something really bad must have happened to one or both of our partners upstream (probably involving a large brown bear). We had no choice but to head back upstream to see what had happened - both certain we were to come upon the grisly remains of our friends.

#39 ·
I fished the Russian River in Alaska years ago with three friends. On the drive in, I noticed a nice little stream (Quartz Creek). We fished the Russian for a couple of days along with 500 other fishermen, two brown bears and several black bears - not my kind of fishing.

I talked my friends into grabing our 5wts and heading back to try that creek. It was a beautful little stream and there wasn't another fisherman in sight. That creek ended up having some nice sized Dollies and Rainbows that were easy to catch using an egg pattern.

My friend and I were downstream and out of sight of my other friends, when I noticed the water I was standing in, turn blood red. I watched the reaction of my fishing partner, who was downstream of me, when the discolored water reached him. He immediately stopped fishing and looked at me and asked "What the fuck is that?". I could only shake my head. We talked about what it could have been - a lot of things were discussed. We were both thinking something really bad must have happened to one or both of our partners upstream (probably involving a large brown bear). We had no choice but to head back upstream to see what had happened - both certain we were to come upon the grisly remains of our friends.
So.....What was it?

#40 ·
Oh, it ended up being our imaginations running wild.

We found our friends alive and well, just soaking wet. One of my friends had slipped while wading across a particularly hairy spot - his partner tried to catch him and they both went for a swim. They had dredged up a bunch of silt and vegetation, which changed the water to a ruddy brown color. My friend and I both agreed that it looked a lot redder when we saw the water change color when we were downstream. We fished awhile longer, but the whole time I kept peering into the thick brush and listening for the sound of the large brown bear who was sizing me up.

#42 ·
About a month ago i was fishing with my Grandpa on the Sacramento River in California, south of Red Bluff. It was almost dark when I heard a vehicle coming towards us. It was on private property in the middle of nowhere. We hid under the some of the very tall grass the grew along the banks. They were talking very faintly, and looked like they were up to no good. Luckily they left, and as for us, we left there like a bat outa hell.

#47 ·
Mine I guess you could call "spooky". Isn't scary, just more odd.

I've posted this up around 4 years ago.

I made my Dad a promise on his death bed I'd keep fishing. He was my main fishing partner my entire life. Most of my trips were done with him. So when he passed, it was really hard for me to get the umph to go. We did a yearly trip every year for salmon down at our property. Fished all the different rivers in Grays Harbor. Brad was still a tad young (or I should say, wasn't ready, I was pretty proficient salmon and steelheader at his age) but opted to take him. We did the Satsop that first day. My Dad absolutely LOVED the Wynoochee (hence, we had a cabin on it). But he did love fishing the Sop a lot. Heard the silver run was supposed to be good that year (my Dad died that July and I took Brad with me that October), and he loved fishing it for silvers. There's a hole I always nicknamed "Dad's slot". He always got first shot at it. I wasn't able to fish it until he fished through. He never told me why, it was just the way it was. We were drifting that day, and we came up to the slot. I pulled over and told Brad "Just a second, I need to do something". I had planned to just drift through it and fish from boat. But we used to drive down to it when the road was open years ago. I grabbed my old rod and said "This one's for you Dad". First cast hit a silver. Wasn't the brightest or the best, but a first cast fish out my Dad's favorite hole sent chills up my spine. Then, when I got home from the trip, I uploaded the pics off my digital. Brad had grabbed the camera out and took a pic as I was releasing the fish. Had no idea he had taken it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.