Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

The super bowl of cheating

NFR 
1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  PT 
#1 ·
Reactions: Porter
#3 ·
Them and every other professional sports team. All of them know that the refs aren't going to call every single thing. So they take chances. There could be a holding call on EVERY SINGLE SNAP of EVERY SINGLE NFL GAME if the refs wanted to throw the flag. But that's not what the fans want to see. Hard to fault the teams for taking advantage of that and playing the percentages that they won't get caught.

#5 ·
. . . Fans came to see the stars . . .
And in the case of Sunday's game, it seems like the fans want to see their sentimental favorite Peyton Manning defy age and injury as he effortlessly notches another SB win over the hapless Seahawks.

Personally, I'd like to see him hit hard, early and often to shake his confidence and hurry his passing game while one by one, Seattle's DBs neutralize his favorite targets. Does that make me a bad person?!

K

#6 ·
Personally, I'd like to see him hit hard, early and often to shake his confidence and hurry his passing game while one by one, Seattle's DBs neutralize his favorite targets. Does that make me a bad person?!

No, Kent, it does not.

That's exactly what I suspect the game plan is. From the limited Bronco's games I've seen, Manning has been able to look like a statue in the pocket and hit receivers who were so open that I had to wondered if anyone was covering them.

I don't think that will be the case this time. The fact that he has something like -31 yards rushing this year makes it clear that he's not likely to scramble around much. And the fact that he's had a career high 10 fumbles this year makes me think there's some vulnerability there as well. I also don't think he's faced defenses this year that jam people as much, or safeties that can rocket in out of nowhere, or corners that turn hurried "hope for the best" passes into interceptions.

The Seahawks have faced high power offense teams in the past and have outright embarrassed them. Let's hope for that outcome.

#7 ·
The worst officiating I ever saw was game 7 of the 1993 NBA Western Conference championship series. The Sonics lost to the Phoenix Suns, who went on to play the Chicago Bulls in the Finals. I still remember the TV announcers ranting about how wonderful it would be if the Suns and Charles Barkley played the Bulls and Michael Jordan in the Finals, all while the Sonics were being called for almost twice as many fouls as the Suns. What made it even more suspicious was that the Sonics didn't complain. My opinion of the NBA went way down....

Tom

#8 ·
the sonics went 28 of 36 from the free throw line; the suns were 57 of 64
I remember it well...

Seahawks continue taking penalties isn't going to help their chances. Hard to blame the refs for the amount of grabbing our secondary tries to get away with. All it takes is for us to give them a couple extra first downs. People blame the refs for our last Super Bowl loss but it was a few dropped passes on 3rd down that made all the difference. Keep even one of those drives alive with a 3rd down catch and we wouldn't have to worry about the refs.

#10 ·
There's many penalties that are not called. It's almost as if the refs have been told to ignore them. Some manner of holding occurs on just about every play. The picks are blatant and I don't know how the refs can miss them so evidently, they choose to let them go.

I've noticed it depends on the ref crew as to what is called and what is not. Some crews call some penalties while another crew would let the same penalties go un-flagged.

There should be no dilutions in regards to the NFL. They are in it for the $$$$... nothing else.

Sooooooo.... it seems to depend on the year as to which penalties are called and which are ignored. Picking is a practice that's been ignored this year.

Normally, the SB is played with relatively few flags thrown. The NFL does not want the game decided by penalties and I'm sure the refs know that.... and have been told as such.

So sure... the picks will happen during the game... so will the holding.

They've also seemed to let up on what they consider pass interference. In past years, it seems more pass interference flags were thrown than this year. Evidently you need to tackle the receiver before a flag is thrown.

It's entertainment with big money involved so the game will be played as the owners of the teams want it played.

Nothing new.

I think it would be very interesting if the game was played as it was originally designed. The same guys who play defense would also play offense... similar to baseball and basketball.

If that was the case, you wouldn't have mutant defensive/offensive linemen, receivers and backfield players as you do now... some of those guys could take on a bull buffalo :)

#15 ·
[quote="GAT, post: 905947, member: 23646"

I think it would be very interesting if the game was played as it was originally designed. The same guys who play defense would also play offense... similar to baseball and basketball.
Ironman football, yeah.[/quote]

Sherman was an outstanding receiver at Stanford! Kam was a very good high school and highly recruited QB. Malcolm Smith was a USC RB. I'll take Seattle in that scene too!

#12 ·
I suspect they will call Def. holding/illegal cont./P.I.'s early and often if necessary - just to "try" and set the tone.

If it doesn't hurt the Hawks too bad early on, Peyton will have a bad day, because the Hawks won't "let up".

I agree with who ever said it: If the Hawks can cut off the underneath short routes, or disrupt them at least 50% of the time, Denver will lose.

Seattle plays the best one on one coverage in the NFL.

I'm an ESPN analyst.

#13 ·
This article is much to do about nothing. There isn't a single play in any NFL game were you couldn't call offensive holding on the offensive line. The Zebras got a whistle in their mouth and will use it when they deem it appropriate. I don't think they were collectively shunning their responsibility with these two teams this season. It's not like the Seahawks weren't drawing penalties...they were the most penalized team in the league. I think the author was perhaps listening to John Harbaugh's whining too much this season.

#14 ·
[quote="GAT, post: 905947, member: 23646"

[/quote]

Ironman football, yeah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.