Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Chris...about those ads

2K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  fisherprice12 
#1 ·
I am sure you don't pick the content, but wow...

See less See more
#16 ·
Maybe Gris only gets Vashon specific ads like

"Vashon High Band Camp Car Wash Corner of Cemetery Road and Highway March 8"

All in Comic Sans font with 8-bit clip art :) and emoticons

(EDIT: Ahh Gris- I see what you mean, have an ad-blocker on my computer at home so I assumed the ad was a little more racy than a petrochemical pipeline, which is now apparent to me at work)

G
#18 ·
I am probably going to step on a few toes here but....

I love a clean environment just as much as any other guy on this board, but I also love the fact that I can get up in the morning at 4:00am from the alarm on my IPhone, the fact that my house will be warm at 4:00am because I have access to relatively inexpensive electricity, the fact that I can throw my gear in my truck and afford to drive 3 or 4 hours to get to a river where I can stand in the wrong place and wave a graphite rod and a polyurethane fly line in an attempt to catch a fish that probably isn't there.

It's late and I probably should just delete this post but truthfully I can't get my head around the "not in my backyard" mentality. Those items I mentioned, that we all use to pursue our favorite hobby, ALL use some of the most highly refined petrochemicals on earth. Resins for plastics used in our phones, computers, fishing rods, fly lines, outdoor clothing, etc, etc, etc.... come from one place- oil.

I will stand with anybody to demand tight controls on these kinds of projects but to just say "somewhere else but not here" is selfish, irresponsible and places the burden on populations which have nowhere near the influence to police these kinds of projects that we do.

Irrespective of anyone's political view on the environmental movement in this country, is it in any way reasonable to say "I want all the economic and recreational benefits of cheap oil, just give it to me from someone else's hole in the ground" ?

Sincerely, no offense meant towards the original poster.

#19 ·
Well said Mark, I agree with you mostly. Pipelines are THE safest way to transport oil and gas (look @ the trains blowing up), and the cheapest. The Keystone will provide lots of jobs for welders operators and laborers, in an industry that is still hurting from the "08" crash but. It's Canadian oil going to gulf coast refiners to be sold on the world market( refined fuels are now our #1 export). We won't see much value aside from the construction and refining jobs and we get any external costs that may arise. I don't think it's a good deal for the US.

#26 ·
Pipelines are THE safest way to transport oil and gas (look @ the trains blowing up)
Oil/Gas transport safety is about maintenance and upkeep as much as anything. Old designs of oil tanker cars blowing up because the company didn't want to spend money to upgrade is the same as pipeline weaknesses causing leaks and explosions because the company didn't want to spend the money to shut down and inspect/fix. There are dangers with any transport system for oil/gas. Just ask Whatcom Creek.

#20 ·
The way Google ad software works - when one visits web sites, the site will place one or more 'cookies' on your browser ( a small text file) containing information about your visit and what you looked at. If the site is a distributor of Google ads (our beloved WFF must be) Google is fed the same information. Google then pipes ads to other Google affiliated sites into standard display ad space when you visit subsequent sites. Their idea is you looked at it somewhere so you must be interested. Google makes a lot of money selling these 'ad words' and services and the site makes mostly pennies displaying the ad and attracting your 'clicks'.

You can turn off cookies on your browser, but then a number of actions you may like will go away. Notable for most of us is the shopping cart services where the site remembers what was or is in your shopping cart. Most sites (from big outfits) withhold resources if you have cookies disabled to induce you to turn them on.

For those wondering where something like a petroleum pipe line ad comes from, Google may not have a recent hit or two to place an ad you have driven with site visits, but they can randomly throw things they are getting paid for in blank ad space or (wait for it...) they collect a history of your search patterns and save it and this can trigger ads served up while you are searching the net.

My fingers were a little stiff. I thought this typing might help this morning (got to get in shape to tie flies on) and the way the ad business works is cloaked in mystery to cover their constant peeking over our shoulders as we use the net. For what its worth....

#21 ·
The NSA (aka Google) sells your surfing info to the advertisers. :)

Doesn't work on me. I grew up watching TV and ignoring the commercials.

Advertisements bounce off me as do bullets hitting Superman. Hey wait... there's something in the sidebar about losing weight by just taking a pill, I need to check out that product!!!

#25 ·
I keep seeing ads for Las Vegas and Florida vacations. I guess I need to stop bitching about the cold weather and snow here in Montana?
That's pretty good spying when they are looking for complaints and just happen to have the solutions!

Careful what you complain about !!! Who knows what sort of ads you may end up seeing :)

#27 ·
That was gasoline Josh, and if you want to drive for the foreseeable future your going to have to move petroleum. I'll stand by my statement that pipelines are the safest and cheapest way to move petroleum.

#29 ·
How many miles of pipeline do we already have in the US? Anyone know? Very rarely do they rupture/get damaged/whatever to cause much of a problem.

Believe me, if they did - we'd certainly hear about it... for weeks.

Go look at how many miles of pipeline we have...

#30 ·
We didn't hear a lot about rail oil safety until recently either. A couple big disasters later, here we are.

I stand by my statement that safety for any method of transport has a lot to do with willingness to invest in that safety. I would put on top of that, our willingness as a society to hold those accountable for that safety to their duty. I'm not necessarily for or against any particular transport method. I think there is a lot of cost/benefit/risk analysis that needs to go into every project. Some are going to work out, some should never ever get off the ground. I'm not some hippie who thinks we can shut down every oil tanker, rail line, and pipe. I drive a car. I heat my house with natural gas. That doesn't happen without infrastructure.

But I'm for damn sure in favor of regulations and enforcement that don't just allow companies to chase profit at the expense of safety. Be that human lives or environmental habitat. As a society, we don't have a great record of that sort of thing. We tend to wait until after a disaster to try and put the genie back in the bottle. Something that never works.

#31 ·
We didn't hear a lot about rail oil safety until recently either. A couple big disasters later, here we are.

I stand by my statement that safety for any method of transport has a lot to do with willingness to invest in that safety. I would put on top of that, our willingness as a society to hold those accountable for that safety to their duty. I'm not necessarily for or against any particular transport method. I think there is a lot of cost/benefit/risk analysis that needs to go into every project. Some are going to work out, some should never ever get off the ground. I'm not some hippie who thinks we can shut down every oil tanker, rail line, and pipe. I drive a car. I heat my house with natural gas. That doesn't happen without infrastructure.

But I'm for @#!*% sure in favor of regulations and enforcement that don't just allow companies to chase profit at the expense of safety. Be that human lives or environmental habitat. As a society, we don't have a great record of that sort of thing. We tend to wait until after a disaster to try and put the genie back in the bottle. Something that never works.
Compared to anywhere else on this planet.... I'll take it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.