Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Salmon Beach Clouser Swap

Swap 
8K views 81 replies 14 participants last post by  Tacoma Red 
#1 · (Edited)
Last year PatLat did a beach clouser swap that turned out great. I think we should do another one again this year. Focus being on putting Salmon (mostly Coho and Kings) on the beach or in the boat. All flies will be stinger hook clousers. We had 12 participants last year. It would be great to get somewhere between 8 and 12. If you're interested let me know and we can get this thing started.

1. pbunbury done
2. Clo
3 Rob Ast done
4. TD done
5. Eyejuggler done
6. Tacoma Red done
7. PatLat
8. Irafly done
9. Nick Clayton done
10. Emmccauley done
11. Troutrageous done
12. Blake Harmon done

Food Art paint Ingredient Paint Cuisine

tight lines,

Parker

See less See more
#33 ·
Finished mine up last night. First time I've ever been done this quick.....But, I gotta fess up.... I've spent an awful lot of time at the hospital with a loved one the past couple week. Its amazing how many flies I can crank out in a quiet hospital room late at night. This swap inspired me to bring my vise with me the last couple nights, just wish I had thought of it sooner.

#39 ·
With or without hooks? I'd prefer to put my own hooks on at the beach, so I vote no hooks for the swap so we can use what we like.

Also if you all don't mind I'd also like to experiment with my chironomid clouser in a size 14, you know it will still be a clouser only it will look just like a chironomid. :)

#41 ·
I absolutely despise putting hooks on my flies at the beach, so I always put mine on when I tie. It can be a PIA to try to fight the bucktail and flash and such to try to thread a hook on.

If people have no issue with it I'd prefer to leave my hooks on since they are already there. If that's an issue I can remove them.

#49 ·
Big fan of Fire Line here. I don't like the super stiff material like amnesia or mono, it tends to crack too much for my liking, and I like the softer material for providing the best movement. IMO.

With 30 lb Fire Wire, it won't hold a size 1 hook totally upright when you hold the fly in the air, especially if you have a long loop, but when in the water under a retrieve it seems to ride just fine. I've been using it for several years with no problems . Extremely durable stuff.

#52 · (Edited)
Heres a taste of my offerings, nothing fancy like some of you, but some solid clousers with good colors :) I learned much last year with Pats swap, I hope those learning's shine thru on this one.
Last year we did not add hooks because it was thought each person has their own preference, I will leave mine hook less if that's cool.

#53 ·
Parker could you send me your address when you get a chance? I'm headed to Neah Bay early next week for 12 days and immediately after headed to Alaska for a couple weeks so Id like to make sure I get these sent off before things get hectic for a while

#61 ·
Not a problem. No 2 people tie flies identically so all variations will be cool and great to have some variety even with the same colors. Mine are Pink and Chartreuse with some peacock hurl and setup for fishing with 2 hooks, although if you guys want you can obviously clip the front hook. It will be cool to hear how everyone's flies fish.
Eyebrow Vertebrate Art paint Organism Paint

#66 ·
Clousers are done. I apologize to the individual who gets the nearest one as the eye got a little crowded. Unfortunately I was about to run out of both pink thread and pink bucktail. Let me know if you want a replacement in another color. My stingers are tied on with both 20lb fire line and 50lb power pro. I have been using the fire line for a few years but every so often it frays and the loop will break, making the fly useless. I got the power pro as a replacement but it is floppier than I would like and I thought the hook hung a bit low. Might be fine in the water, as Nick says. If you want to replace the hook I would cut out one of the loops as I don't think you'll be able to re-thread both loops through a hook eye. The fire line is black and flatter, the power pro is dark green and rounder. Cut whichever you would like.

Natural material Animal product Feather Pink Brush
Bait Pink Fishing bait Feather Magenta

#69 ·
Clousers are done. I apologize to the individual who gets the nearest one as the eye got a little crowded. Unfortunately I was about to run out of both pink thread and pink bucktail. Let me know if you want a replacement in another color. My stingers are tied on with both 20lb fire line and 50lb power pro. I have been using the fire line for a few years but every so often it frays and the loop will break, making the fly useless. I got the power pro as a replacement but it is floppier than I would like and I thought the hook hung a bit low. Might be fine in the water, as Nick says. If you want to replace the hook I would cut out one of the loops as I don't think you'll be able to re-thread both loops through a hook eye. The fire line is black and flatter, the power pro is dark green and rounder. Cut whichever you would like.

View attachment 98540 View attachment 98539
I'll take it Pbunbury, it will fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.