Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Reel ?: Why would a Lamson reel have a J stamped on it?

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Jslo 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a reel, and it has a "J" on the rod clip which fits in the reel seat.

I've googled and googled, no luck. Anyone have an idea?

#3 ·
recommended line size. Trade it for one with a B, C or D for easier casting.
Sorry you kinda lost me there...It's a Lamson size 1.5, so I believe for 3,4,5 wt line. I actually have 3 Lamson reels, but only one has a stamp on it? Are you suggesting trading it in to Lamson?

#5 ·
lol ok dang. Sorry, I missed it. It's still funny in hindsight! :)

#7 ·
I'm curious enough, I may email lamson- I've got a guy there I kinda know through customer service who is cool. I'll post anything I find out! :)

#9 ·
Assuming you bought it used the J may have been stamped by a previous owner. Its a simple thing to do and letter/number stamps are readily available. If an inquiry to Lamson isn't helpful I'd go with option B. J stands for Jslo.

TC

Reactions: Kent Lufkin
#14 ·
Ok friends, here is what I found out from my email to Lamson- learn something new everyday!

"Good morning, Jslo,

The ‘J’ on the foot of some older Litespeed reels is a mark of the machine shop that was contracted out to cut those feet for us at the time. It’s definitely not a suspicious mark and is present on the pre-Hard Alox Litespeeds and some Velocity reels as well.

Sincerely,

Luke xxxxxxx"

Pretty cool.

#17 ·
Well, you know since its a custom "J"Slo model lol, it will catch extra fish since its got my "J" on it... ;) (see thread on superstitions lol!!)

For you I'd recommend hunting down a reel with a T or A on it ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.