“Almost” Deschutes Tragedy

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by John Dougher, Aug 13, 2008.

1. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

2. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Wow, yeah, nice move on the fisherman's part.

3. Anyone on the Deschutes (or any water) without a PFD is a fool. You always think it'll be the other guy.

constructeur likes this.
  4. Gertie's Pa

Gertie's Pa New Member

Why anyone would be on a river as powerful as the Deschutes without a pfd id totally beyond me. I've been bucked out of a raft on a couple occasions on this river. I still struggled with a good pfd. I also wear one while surf fishing on the coast. Every year we hear of surf fishermen or wave jumpers getting sucked into an under tow. Give yourself a chance to survive. Wear the damn pfd's!:rofl::ray1:

5. I understand the Deschutes is all C&R for drowning boaters now, so no one carries a gaff anymore.

wa_desert_rat and GAT like this.
  6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Water 'doesn't care,' especially moving water. We've already (since January) lost (IMS) 6 people on the Rogue. The last two at Blossom Bar ... and they did have PFD's on at the time.

7. JE

JE Active Member

Yep, especially get them on your kids when you have them along the river bank. It just takes a second.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Couldn't get the link today.

9. GAT

GAT Active Member

Yup, the page is gone.

10. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

That's because the post and article are from 2008.

McNasty likes this.
  11. GAT

GAT Active Member

Well, okay. That's explains a lot.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I usually look at the dates on posts. It didn't have very many replies, so I thought is was new.

People should not play with peoples minds this way.

13. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Jim this reminded me of something my Mom used to say about a friend of mine when I was in Junior High School "If he had a brain he'd have it out playing with it"
    Only you can play with your mind!
    jesse

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

IIRC back in the late 70s and early 80s, there was a fellow that did salvage on the Deschutes river, around Oh Shit Rock, with a moniker of River Angel. At least I read about him in some of the publications at the time. Anybody recall him or if he was just a journalistic myth?

15. MikeT

MikeT Member

16. Olive bugger

Well that is good to know. I recall an article of him with an aluminum drift boat that was folded almost double and he salvaged it out with a series of cables and wires. I understand that he gave the owner a choice of paying for the salvage or if he declined, Mark got to keep the boat under salvage law and he would hammer them out and resell them.
    Not certain of the validity of my memory tho.

Thanks for the update.

17. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

that's a big freaking motor...

Whitehorse is not something I'd want to run in a hard boat...

18. Olive bugger

I rode through it with a guide many years ago. He was good. Very good.
    We caught fish, boy howdy we caught fish.