Discussion in 'Salmonfly.net' started by Mingo, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +348 / 1
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,225 / 9
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Mingo, awesome post. I've never really lusted to go to Hawaii, but you sure sell it. I have moved around so much I really have felt the outsider treatment in many places. Too bad that exists, but I'm a bit protective of my back yard too. Thanks for sharing and maybe some day me an my misses will venture to the islands to check it out too.
  3. agent montana This Must be a sickness!! MARINATE!!!

Groove City!
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Sweert Mingo..Sweet!
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Mingo, That was an awesome report! Loved the great pics.

Does NOT sound as friendly as when i was there in the early 70's. The only negative vibe we got was when a local store owner, wearing a frown, asked us why we wore our hair so long. There were no unfriendly locals on the road from the airport to Halawa Valley, and we hitch hiked. Some large Hawiian mahu's offered us a ride, and we were afraid to refuse. But there was a hippie riding with them who seemed relaxed enough, so we got in. They were friendly, and were living in the valley, so we got a ride down (what was then) the rutted muddy "road" into the valley..

The fishing charter sounded really cool. Love the pics of all those fish. Nice Ulua! Capt. Mike sounded great.

You have sold me on NEVER taking that mule ride. Never! I probably won't go to Molokai again, anyway. We landed on the strip at Kalapaupa in gusty winds in a smaller twin engine Air Molokai plane to drop off another passenger. That runway had a large bump in it back then.

Back in time 40 years and on Oahu, the locals told me that Hammerheads spawn inside the barrier reef out in front of Hawaii Kai. Man that place has changed!

I can understand the fear and loathing of the Molokai residents....who wants to trade that lifestyle for shitty paying hotel/resort jobs? At least their crummy racist attitudes are up front so you know. They will be rude and unfriendly so you won't want to come back.

But they can't throw a damper on the Mingos! No way!:beer2:
  5. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

A Quick Molokai Repot

Awesome report as usual Mingo!! Keep them coming!!

I'm going to make sure to do my Montana Trout Bummin' report Mingo style... at the rate I write though it will take me a bit! :clown:

Wish I was into fishing as a kid when I lived in Kaneohoe on Oahu! I used to love snorkeling at Hanama Bay, body surfing and boogie boarding! Good times! :thumb:
  6. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

In my opinion that was the best Mingo trip report ever.
    Great pics, fish XXX, mule XXXX!!!!!
  7. mr. bad example Member

poulsbo
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

great fucking post..........in all of my worldwide dirtball travels i've never run into such an in your face collection of resentment but it was obviously balanced by some moments of goodness.
  8. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Great post and pics, fun read!
  9. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Awesome report! Mingo...
    Now, Hawaii is on my list!
  10. Dylan D Member

West Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

one of the best reports I've ever read, fishing and otherwise
  11. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +150 / 1
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Mingo, yet another great report. No one on this board can get me jazzed to fish salt like you can. Father Damien deserves sainthood that is for sure.
  12. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Nice work Mingo. Team Boot has to get at least a couple points for the bluefin. Duffer
  13. Diehard aka Justin

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

We thought about that mule ride, looks like it was a good choice to pass it up!

Most of the locals I talked to there were pretty friendly, but we defintely got our share of stink-eye. I wasn't trying to fish "their" beaches though! Too bad you got kicked off that beach, it looks like you had some calm water. It was windy the whole time I was there and the shallow water was all churned up.

All in all, sounds like a great experience!
  14. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +435 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Simply Awesome...great stuff Mingo. Enjoyed the pics and read. :beer2:
  15. jcnewbie Member

Kent, Washington
    A Quick Molokai Repot

My Gawd, Mingo...I have never read a more entertaining, funny, informative & photographically luscious report about anything by anybody, anywhere -- absolutely awsomelyincredible....oh, did I forget, magnificent, as well?

If'n yu ain't yet, ya ottar be thimkin' 'bout doin' dis' heah kinda' stuff fur da livin' mahn!!

One more adjective, okay? Superbly done, amigo!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Jcnewbie:rofl::rofl::rofl::beer2:

Oh, lest I forget to mention the "other" photographer :D, fine job as well :thumb:!

Okay, gotta quit now, dry mouth 'n all ya know.....:rolleyes:
  16. spowino New Member

Spokane, WA
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Mingo, you freakin' rock!
  17. ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Sweet report Mingo,

I am heading to Maui with the wife in a couple of weeks and was wondering what flies you used, rod weight when you were fishing from shore and if there was any structure or type of beach you looked for when picking your spots. I hope that I am able to have half the fun you had on your trip.

Ryfly
  18. Steven Mobley Member

Rancho Murieta, Ca
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    A Quick Molokai Repot

Incredible report and pics! I now have another new desktop picture! It's your wife's feet/beer with you fishing in the background. My idea of a terrific picture. Thanks.

Steve