Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

05-06 Beginner/Intermediate Anti-Shack Nasty Marathon Fly Swap

Swap 
23K views 321 replies 16 participants last post by  Ron Eagle Elk 
#1 ·
This Swap Is Closed

This swap is open to all tyers that have 5 years experience tying or less. As it is a marathon swap, it does require a bit more of commitment than usual. There will be a monthly swap during the months of October, November, January, February, March, and April. If you sign up for the swap, you are signing up for all of them. Notice that we are taking a break for December. Everyone usually gets pretty busy with the holidays. Instead of tying a mess of swap flies that month we'll do a one fly per swapper tying contest, theme to be announced later, with prizes for 1st, 2d and 3d places.

The flies we'll be tying each month are listed below.

October - Nymphs
November - Wet Flies
December - Tying Contest
January - Streamers
February - Dries
March - Terrestrials
April - Cripples/Emergers

The swap is limited to 15 tiers, first 15 are in, any after that can be put on a call list in case anyone has to drop out. Those things do happen. Everyone will send in a set of 15 flies each month, that way you get one of your own back to make a complete swap set. As usual I will be tying a bonus fly for each category so you'll be getting 16 flies a month!

The first set of flies will be due to me not later than October 31st and on the last day of every swap month after that. Mail your flies in a crush proof container (Altoids tins work well, as do small Plano compartmented boxes) with each fly toe tagged with your name (Screen Name and Real Name) and the name of the fly. You can include the recipe on the toe tag if you wish, or supply it on the bulletin board. Also include a SASE or postage for return shipping. It's also a good idea to put your name and mailing address on your container in case the post office has a malfunction and your container gets separated from the envelope.

A lot of the swap communication is done by e-mail so make sure I get your e-mail addy.

I'll be photographing the flies each month and posting them on the site in the Fly Swaps Section.

This is a great way to improve tying skills and fill your boxes for the next season as well.

Sign up will stay open until we have the swap filled at 15 or October 5th, whichever comes around first.

Here's my e-mail and snail mail addy.

Ron Eagle Elk
roneagleelk@comcast.net
8717 Whitewood Loop SE
Yelm, WA 98597

1. Wayne Kohan - .
2. Randy Diefert - Cripples/Emergers are in.
3. Matthew Grunwald
4. Dylan D -
5. Theron D - .
6. Tom Grobelny and Tag Team Partner -
7. The Shad King -
8. Desmond Wiles - Cripples/Emergers are In.
9. Jesse James - .
10. Ed D - .
11. Anyfish - Cripples/Emergers are in .

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll give this a try. I've been looking for a swap, but unsure of my skills at times. I know I get better as I tie more and more, so this should help me. I look forward to the challenge.

Wayne

#4 ·
FlyGolf, You in and welcome. Didin't know there was fish in them water hazards.

Randy, Glad to have you back aboard. Looking forward to more of your flies. Unless things have changed, I still have all your info from last years marathon swap.

REE

#5 ·
I would love to add my name to the list, however, I have not seen my tying bench or materials since the last marathon swap :mad: ...moving and kids I have learned tend to do this!

Look forward to seeing all the great flies, and am bummed I can't join this swap :beathead:

Rons awesome, anyone that gets in on this will be VERY happy!

#6 ·
Ron,

Of course please count me in! (If you all will have me!)

My tying was much improved last year due in large part to this swap. I recommend it highly to anyone who has an interest. There are some very talented tiers and REE is THE SWAPMIESTER KING! :thumb:

Really, this is a cool swap, sign up. :ray1:

Matthew

#8 ·
Ahhhhh, more returnees from last years marathon. I guess it was a pretty good swap. Dylon, Theron and Matthew, your in and welcome, glad to have you back. Unless things have changed since last year, I still have your info on my swap list.

REE

#9 ·
I would also like to join the swap.

Actually if the group will allow it, I would like to "tag team" the swap with my 10 year old daughter. We have both been tying for a little more than a year and she is quite meticulous about her flies. I don't want to sign my daughter up on her own because she does not enjoy tying some patterns, so I thought that I could let her pick the months that she would like and I can make the flies for the other months.

If you want a reference for My daughter, check out the next to the last section of this thread:
AATF Open Table
Or PM "FlyShopKristin" and ask about her.

If you would rather not have My daughter and me split the spot, that is OK also. I would still like to join the swap if there is still room.

Tom Grobelny

#11 ·
FlyTying6 and Tom, Your in and welcome. Tom I don't see a problem witih your tag team approach to the swap. Some of those young'uns can outclass us old guys in a flash.

Glad to have you in.

REE

#13 ·
Bill, Welcome aboard. Those who participated in last years swap had a great time, I think, and got some excellent flies in the bargain. Should be fun again this year.

Only 7 slots remaining, folks. Let's get in on this one or you'll wind up kicking the dog and yelling at the wife over the winter.

REE

#16 ·
Desmond Wiles and Hatenot2fish, welcome to the swap. Glad to have you both. Only 5 slots left in this one folks, lets get signed up and get to tyin. Oops, Make that 4 slots, Tricho-Treat just signed up by PM.

REE

#19 ·
Ron: I almost missed the sign up for this I hope I am not too late. I will take two slots. One for me and one for my son John Clark he is not hooked up to the computer so I will get him the information. Last year was great I am looking forward to another marathon.
Blessings
jesse clark

#20 ·
Jesse, you and John are both in and welcome. I like seeing folks returning from last years marathon. I hope it was as much fun for all the tiers as it was for me as a host.

Unless things have changed since last year, I still have your info in my swap file.

Only one slot left folks.

Tight Lines and Best Fishes.

REE

#22 ·
The ShadKing, Your in at number 15. Glad to have you in.

There will be an e-mail sent out tonite. Nymphs are due in my hot little hands by October 31st.

I'm leaving in the morning for 7 days on the Clearwater, Selway and Lochsa. See ya'll when I get back.

REE

#25 ·
Anyfish,

Most of my flies are tied on the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. When I try to get fancy I get a lot of refusals or nothing at all. Simple, but effective is good.

REE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.