10' Fly Rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by up2nogood, Feb 4, 2013.

1. up2nogood Member

Centerville,Ut
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Thinking of building a 10' 4 weight out of a IM6 blank, I would be using it to nymph fish some of the rivers in Montana, the Madison, Missouri ,Beaverhead etc. Also using it to fish out of a pontoon boat, I fish stillwater more then I fish the rivers, but would like to use it for both. Am I headed in the right direction wanting to use this rod for these applications, or is it a little light for the rivers in questions. I am not too concerned about it out of a pontoon boat, having a little longer rod to cast with seems to be advantage out of a pontoon. Thanks for any insight on this.
  2. Evan Salmon Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I carry a 10' 5wt with me on my pontoon all the time. It makes for easier short range casting and really helps in line mending and manipulating nymps from a seated position. I have a casting "platform" with brace but find it much more efficient, and stable, to stay seated and let the rod do the streatching while I keep one hand free to handle the oars and bat the dog back onto his cargo deck.

The longer rod makes for a little more stowing and maneuvering challenges, especially in tight spots, but is well worth the effort.

Go for it!
  3. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    I have a 10' 3wt that I use in my pram and pontoon for chironomid fishing. It casts all the stuff well and a long rod works great for indicators with 11'-13'+ of line under it, especially when the quick release bobbers don't release!