Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

2011 Best of Best Swap

Swap 
6K views 69 replies 12 participants last post by  MountainTrout 
#1 ·
Swap Closed.....

It's the end of 2011 so what better to do than recap and start stocking up for 2012?
It's been awhile since I hosted a swap and thought this idea could be fun.
This year you had the right fly and in the proverbial 'zone'. Not just catching a fish here and there, but hooking fish after fish, one after another? I had a few of those times this year and thought it would be fun to share patterns but somewhat secretly.
Are you in?

Here's my idea:
Looking for 10-12 tiers with a proven patterns from 2011; ideally fished in Washington State.

If interested, reply with pattern name and generally what you'd like to say about it. (i.e. 'Awesome trout fly' or 'Slayed them at a Northeast Washington Lake)

For the tiers only, I'll collect any additional information you want to give on the fly via PM. After all the ties are received, I'd then PM back the group a summary of all the information on each fly with as little or as much information you want to give. I might just cut/paste a document to be mailed back with the fly packages to each of you. For me the story or fishing conditions can be equally as interesting as the pattern itself.

Flies due mid January ; Jan 13, 2012. Remember the return postage.
Update: two different flies or 2x same pattern, either way 22 flies

So far we've got:
1.Steeli Mt bucktail (2x) READY
2.Bugtyer - Arizona Simi Seal Leech, polar fibre clouser RECEIVED
3.Rob Ast - double brass stone (2x) RECEIVED
4.Troutpocket carey-leech, pheasant tail chironmid RECEIVED
5.Islander - redhead nymph, camo carey RECEIVED
6. Irafly - red leech (2x) RECEIVED
7. Ron Mcneal - olive willie, nyerges nymph RECEIVED
8. Ben Guss - sea run reverse spider, RECEIVED
9. Nailbender - Humpy Carl, halfback RECEIVED
10. TD - October Caddis (2x) RECEIVED
11. Mountaintrout - RECEIVED
12. Camo Clad Warrior - chironomids (2x) RECEIVED

See less See more
#30 ·
Neither are mine but they catch fish and that's what it's all about. Also, by joining a fly swap it forces you to tie a lot of the same pattern. You will see an improvement in your tying by the time you finish the swap.

#32 ·
I'll close the swap New Years Eve unless two more join in before then.
Also this coming weekend I'll start sending mailing information; remember postage and envelopes.
In addition to the standard fly toe tags remember to Pm or include as much information or as little you'd like to give out about your flies. I'll compile a summary for all to mail back with the bugs.
Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your ties.

#48 ·
I received Nailbender's yesterday and all the bugs are good ties.
Looks like we're over half received now with few others finishing theirs up this weekend.
How's the rest of you doing?
Bugtyer and Troutpocket sent along a couple great writeups that will go out for us.
Anyone can still PM any info they want included.

#51 ·
Finished up mine this afternoon. I'll drop them at the PO in the morning. Added the Camo Carey to the Red Headed Nymph. 90% of my fish this year came on those two flies. The other 10% were on chironomids, that should make Ira happy. :rofl:

#52 ·
Yesterday got Rob's and Irafly's bugs which are all great ties once again.
I've also got quite a few more good writeups PM'd to me for their bugs.
Compiling the writeups is definitely going to take more than one page to include everyone's information.:thumb:nice.

#53 ·
Well my ties won't be the prettiest flies in your box, but they will catch fish. I haven't gotten out much this new year yet so with clear calm weather today I figured I'd hit Lone for a bit. Hit the water around 12:30 and put a Camo Carey on the full sink and did a bit of casting and trolling over towards the small point. I use the CC a lot as a locator fly casting or trolling at different depths to locate fish. Didn't pick up any by the time I had gotten to the point so I switched to the redhead nymph. The conditions were perfect for the way I like to fish this fly. The wind was starting to pick up just a little as it does on Lone and I like to drift this fly across points and around drop offs just using the speed of the wind, using my fins only to keep me in line. I usually use a sink-tip line for this technique especially on Lone where the water is pretty shallow. If I'm fishing deeper water or I know they are feeding real deep then I will use the full sink for this also. The main thing is to just let the wind move you and keep your fly at the depth you need. Once I am in the area I want to be and moving nicely with the wind I give the nymph some short quick twitches periodicaly. This is usually when you will get a strick. I had gone across the point once and was going a little deeper the second time when I felt the wonderful tug. I set the hook and the fish felt pretty strong. Got it in the measure net and it was a nice thick 20" fish. Was able to get a pic of the fly in his mouth right before he shook it loose. One of my buddies from the Island Fly Club happened to be out and I asked him to snap a shot of me with the fish as I usually fish alone and don't get many pics of nice fish. The sun had slipped behind the clouds and it was starting to get colder so I headed home for lunch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.