Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

2011 Best of Best Swap

Swap 
6K views 69 replies 12 participants last post by  MountainTrout 
#1 ·
Swap Closed.....

It's the end of 2011 so what better to do than recap and start stocking up for 2012?
It's been awhile since I hosted a swap and thought this idea could be fun.
This year you had the right fly and in the proverbial 'zone'. Not just catching a fish here and there, but hooking fish after fish, one after another? I had a few of those times this year and thought it would be fun to share patterns but somewhat secretly.
Are you in?

Here's my idea:
Looking for 10-12 tiers with a proven patterns from 2011; ideally fished in Washington State.

If interested, reply with pattern name and generally what you'd like to say about it. (i.e. 'Awesome trout fly' or 'Slayed them at a Northeast Washington Lake)

For the tiers only, I'll collect any additional information you want to give on the fly via PM. After all the ties are received, I'd then PM back the group a summary of all the information on each fly with as little or as much information you want to give. I might just cut/paste a document to be mailed back with the fly packages to each of you. For me the story or fishing conditions can be equally as interesting as the pattern itself.

Flies due mid January ; Jan 13, 2012. Remember the return postage.
Update: two different flies or 2x same pattern, either way 22 flies

So far we've got:
1.Steeli Mt bucktail (2x) READY
2.Bugtyer - Arizona Simi Seal Leech, polar fibre clouser RECEIVED
3.Rob Ast - double brass stone (2x) RECEIVED
4.Troutpocket carey-leech, pheasant tail chironmid RECEIVED
5.Islander - redhead nymph, camo carey RECEIVED
6. Irafly - red leech (2x) RECEIVED
7. Ron Mcneal - olive willie, nyerges nymph RECEIVED
8. Ben Guss - sea run reverse spider, RECEIVED
9. Nailbender - Humpy Carl, halfback RECEIVED
10. TD - October Caddis (2x) RECEIVED
11. Mountaintrout - RECEIVED
12. Camo Clad Warrior - chironomids (2x) RECEIVED

See less See more
#2 ·
Steeli,
I guess I can tie a dozen flies before the deadline. My go to pattern of the year was an Arizona Simi Seal Leech. I caught plate sized bluegills, SMB, LMB, brown trout, rainbow trout, pike minnows, and perch with this pattern. Please PM me with a mailing address.

Shawn

#8 ·
I've got some options and waiting to hear what others have to help give a varitety; a dry foam spyder that was great for fishing the Basin pan fish, minnow pattern that worked great this fall and a damsel/dragon attractor that's my easten wa go-to for the spring pre damsel hatch.

#9 ·
I should have some tying time over the holidays so I'd like to join in if possible. I'll tie my Redhead Nymph. I didn't get a whole lot of fishing in this year but when I did, this one was money. Even outfished the infamous Camo Carey on some waters.

#11 ·
What do you think about when to close? Since it's an obvious busy time of year I think we can still get a dozen tyers in the next week or two.
Maybe close the swap New Year's Eve or when ever we get a dozen tyers, which ever comes first?

#17 ·
Personally I'm fine with two of same pattern or one each of two different patterns; total of 22 bugs.
Originally was thinking just one a piece, which would be 11 bugs.

So let's hear what you all prefer 11 bugs or 22?
If 11 is a stretch just speak up.

#21 ·
TD

This is a best of 2011 swap. I do not really expect complex flies, I am hoping to get flies that catch fish. Both patterns I am tying are extremely basis. The Simiseal Leech uses one material. It is a basic pattern, but I literally caught hundreds of fish on this fly in 2011. Do the best you can, I am looking forward to seeing what you tie.

Shawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.