2013 North of Falcon

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by DimeBrite, Feb 26, 2013.

1. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +327 / 0
    I wish I was beach fishing for salmon in 2001, but I was doing a ton of hiking and backpacking in the North Cascades and Olympics that year. I remember reading the great fishing reports at that time, but didn't realize how special it was until later. It must have been amazing to have been beach fishing in a year where you could honestly expect to hook into 10+ pound silvers from the beach on any given day.

Smalma makes a good point about 2012 being especially good for actively feeding silvers into late September. The best explanation is the unusually dry summer weather (nearly 100 days without rain) that lasted until mid-October. The weather can really make or break a beach fisherman's year, even when the total size of the salmon run is above average. Too much rain in late August or early September will send the silvers running deep and fast into the rivers, making beach fishing tough. On the other hand, low warm rivers in a dry spell will keep the salmon out in Puget Sound feeding for weeks at a time, often in the shallows. The plentiful herring in Puget Sound in 2012 (especially in the PNP area) made the fishing very consistent. Nice populations of juvenile sandlance also kept the silvers near the beach last year. In addition to run size we should pray for plentiful Puget Sound bait and an indian summer.
  2. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +292 / 0
    This brings up a curious question for any fisheries biologist out there.

Has there been any studies done on how to improve the herring, sand lance, baitfish populations? It seems to me that having a "herring hatchery" would be fruitless in that 1) the effect would amount to a "minuscule of a drop in the vast bucket" of the entire herring population. 2) herring perhaps are not amenable to laboratory confinement and 3) possible effect upon herring genetics. Lets not go down the same road as what's been done with salmon hatcheries.

More importantly with the massive harvest of herring and herring roe as well as other salmonid prey has there ever been the recognition for curtailment at the government regulatory level? I've seen photos of kelp bed harvests with incredible amounts of herring roe and treated like manna from heaven (and shipped to Asia faster than a blue fin tuna).

Any pertinent info on this subject matter would be appreciated and sorry for hijacking this thread.

-TR
  3. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +651 / 0
    DimeBrite -
    Just back from the first NOF meeting. The "official" Puget Sound forecast for coho is a total of
    882,000 fish (465 K wild and 417K hatchery). That number is up from the 2012 forecast of 730,000. Most of that increase is from the north Sound rivers (mostly Skagit and Snohomish wilds).

If things fall into place we may see another year of good coho fishing.

BTW -
    All the forecasts should be on WDFW's web site soon (look under the regulation and season section of the fishing link).

Curt
  4. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +327 / 0
    Thanks for the update Curt. It sounds like we should expect to get a few bites on the beach this summer.
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    2001 was also stellar salmon angling out this way. I recall some of my best days in the tidal flux of the Willapa River then. Multiple hookups of large Coho and lots of Kings. The morning of 9/01/01 was off the richter scale. Some of the best salmon angling I've ever experienced. I was up early and heading to the river anyway, and turned off my TV as soon as I saw the towers going down, and skedaddled to the river quick like a fox, as I was expecting the govmint to declare martial law at any time. No time to lose! I drove straight to the closest spot where I thought I might find some fish. Within 30 minutes after I switched off the idiot box, I was fishing right by the side of the highway, below Raymond, hooking up to chromers. Cars were stopping to watch, and some folks were honking their approval and waving as they saw me playing a fish.
  6. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    i've been waiting for these numbers like a kid waiting for christmas morning. i am pretty damn pleased.

should be a great summer at neah bay with the larger columbia river coho forecast as well as another 500k for the washington coast. of course, over 10 million pinks coming through the strait should make the close to home fishing good as well (6+ million for washington and almost 9 million fraser river pinks) along with the extra puget sound coho.

i'll be doing my best to intercept all your fish :)
    Jonathan Tachell likes this.