NFR 2013 Winter Beer

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by troutpocket, Nov 16, 2013.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

I got my winter beers in gear this weekend. Started yesterday by picking up a growler of Cozy Sweater (vanilla-milk stout) from the Iron Horse pub in Ellensburg. Today I was running errands in Yakima and stopped by the Beer Shoppe to pick up some Anderson Valley bourbon-aged stout and HUB Abominable winter ale. I am just about finished with my stash of Cold Smoke from my Montana trip in September . . .looking forward to the season. Cheers!

Jeff Dodd, Irafly and Eyejuggler like this.
  2. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Just had a few of Redhooks winterHooks. Tasty for sure

3. Brendan

Brendan New Member

I look forward to 10 Barrel Pray For Snow this time of year. Finished a few around the campfire this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

I've already been thru a dozen ninkasi sleigh'rs. Probably my favorite winter seasonal. I have yet to have any jubelale this year but it's also high on my list.

5. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I'm finishing up a keg of a red ale now. I have 5 gallons of "basketball beer" behind it. Basketball beer is an ale that I make with Saaz hops. It's light. Easy to drink after my pickup basketball games. The next batch I brew will likely be my house pale ale. This is essentially a Manny's clone.

I laways say I'm gonna make a porter for the winter but never do. Truth is my taste for beer does not change too much with the seasons. In fact, I will certainly brew a pilsner due to the colder temp in my basement being perfect for lager fermentation. I really love a good pilsner and fortunately for me I can (and have) brew real good one. Truthfully, I should make 30 gallons of pilsner and bottle them to have throughout the year.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Besides my barleywine , winter warmer and brown on tap at the moment, winter is all about big malty beers for me.

Full Sail bourbon barrel imperial stout, Firestone Parabola, J.W. Lees, and the local classic Jolly Roger. I prefer to keep spices and other flavorings in my desserts and pastries and the hell out of my beer.

7. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I also love me some Snow Cap Ale from Pyramid

8. Dottiesdad

Dottiesdad Member

I'm with you. Love a big malty brew when the weather turns grey and temp's start to drop.

In further agreement, to my simple mind, once brewers start adding fruit, vegetables, spices and herbs to their brews they cease to be beers and become malt based beverages of some other category. That does not make them bad or somehow less interesting, but it does make them something other than beer for me.

There. That should open up a can of worms (on a fly fishing site no less).

Bob

Brookie_Hunter and Irafly like this.
  9. homeslice

homeslice New Member

A stop at the Hair of the Dog brewery for any of there " Of the wood" special beers including the Doggie Claws remains my favorite. So much so I'm there now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

underachiever likes this.
  10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

How about next weekend, I buy a growler of the Cozy Sweater and we share it while fishing in my boat.

troutpocket likes this.
  11. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Old Glory, $.44 a tall boy! Can't go wrong!

12. jdbutula

jdbutula Member

Any beer is good with me, but I'm sure enjoying the craft IPA's!!

13. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Beers with fruit ain't

Ive

Brookie_Hunter and Steve Unwin like this.
  14. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Big hefeweizen fan regardless of the time of year.

15. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

My wife is exactly same but she's native Bavarian so it's part of her DNA.

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

So far I've had the usual mass distributed Snow Caps, Wintrhoooks, Jubelaleles, Brrrrs and other easily available remedies, but since the weather cooled down even more, the occasional shot of Fireball has been discovered to offset the inherent bitterness and snootiness of the hoppy brews...:rolleyes:

Patrick Allen likes this.
  17. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

For some reason reply is not working for me. While I am not a native I did pick up my love of hefeweizen during the 6 years I lived in Germany.

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  18. Lex

Lex Active Member

Maritime: Jolly Roger.
    Ninkasi: Sleigher.
    Deschutes: Jubelale.
    Full Sail: Winter Ale
    La Chouffe: Tripel Double IPA. Not really a winter beer but fucking insane if you can find it.

19. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

I love Dopplebocks and Barleywines. Too many good ones to start naming them all. Over the years, I've had a couple yummy Cherry Bourbon Stouts...the only fruit-ish beer I'd ever recommend to non-fruity beer drinkers (like me).

20. deansie

deansie Member

Having just moved to Texas from Seattle I was just telling my brother the other day its hard to get into the winter beers when its still 80* outside...still sticking with the IPA's.