2014 fishing license!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Dec 25, 2013.

1. The new year will be on us in a week, hit the tackle store and get yours now. In Oregon, if you're an 'Old Foggie' like me the price was $15.00. The Steelhead/Salmon punch card was darned near twice as much.

No give-aways there .......

2. This doesn't apply to Washington licenses. You have a few months.

3. Thanks Evan, living just north of the California boarder little reason to fish in Washington. But using a purchase date, and out 12 months, is a very cool idea. Wondering 'allowed' (bad pun intended) how many other PNW States do this?

4. It's not based on purchase date. The licenses expire in March as April is seen as the beginning of the fishing season.

Alexander likes this.
  5. Gotcha! Other than a Washingtonian who would know. :)

6. People who read what's printed on their WA license

7. BC ends after March too.

Go Sox,
    cds

8. Not that it matters, but I don't like the way Washington does it.

In the late winter/springtime, I tend to have my mind on getting all my fishing stuff ready for the new season. I go out a few times, realize I need to tie few more bugs, fix a leak in my waders, etc.... and space off that I'm into the next license on my 4th trip out!

Truth be told, I've "technically" fished illegally twice like that.

I think it's a conspiracy. They want us to forget, so they can trap us. :D

Actually, I'm sure there's a good reason for it.

9. i dont see why it matters, you either change at 2014 or may 2014 for washington its the same difference

10. Simple mindset for me. When I go out for the first time in 2014, I see it as a new year - new season. New season means - new lic. (to me).

But I get out several times before the actual new season starts, and my mind seems to get focused on other things, and not concerning myself with getting a new license. It's not a huge deal. It just seems less of a priority once I've been out several times, and in "start of a new season" mode... when in fact, it's not actually a new season yet.

11. Colorado did this a few years back. The Jan 1 date didn't work well with the small game hunting season as they offer a combo hunt/fish license.

12. I'm glad Washington doesn't sell it's lic. til April that way I don't have to buy both Oregon and Washington lic. at the same time. And I usually use my Washington one for springer's in the Columbia when they start showing so can take my time buying my Oregon lic. also. A lot of my fishing buddies live in Washington anyway so have plenty of days to fish in Washington before buying another lic.

13. Here in Montana, I think the license comes due the first of march. For me it is 8 bucks. It is not a license per se. But a conservation license. Any resident above the age of 62 gets in at 8 bucks a pop.

14. I'm with you... nothing but a good ole conspiracy to get be my blood boiling at 5:39am. I may be wrong here, but I seem to remember WA fishing licenses expiring 12/31 the first years we were here (starting in 1985) -- then it switched to spring... so they could increase revenues :eek:.

15. I like the annual system in Oregon. Opening days mean nothing -- most likely because there are so many fisheries open year around in Oregon.

I buy my fishing license during the first week of each new year. The price is the same no matter when you buy it so I want to get my monies worth... even if I don't go fishing for months after I buy the sucker, I still feel like I'm getting full use of the thing because it's in my wallet.

:)

16. Let me see if I understand this correctly- If as a new resident of Washington I buy a license today- 12/27/13, it will expire in March of 2014.

17. Yes, the current Washington license begins April 1st 2013 and is valid to the last day of March 2014. If you bought an Oregon license in September, it would expire on Dec. 31st. In no state that I've fished does a season-long license last 12 months from the date of purchase. [Nor do you receive a discount for purchasing a license after 3/4ers of the season has passed by.....].

Steve

RussellB likes this.
  18. Some of the states that I have lived in (MO, AR) the license was valid one year from the date of purchase. That said neither of these states had a defined fishing season. To protect the fisheries Arkansas would close off a large portion of the White River during the fall brown trout spawning months.

19. I don't know why I bothered buying a license for 2013 -- no one ever checked to see if I had one while I was fishing during the year :)

20. No one checked the one I forgot to buy either! Just realized that last week.