4wt or 5wt help me spend money.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Danielocean, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I am looking at getting a good rod for the Cedar river, and the Snoqualmie forks. Would you guys suggest a 4wt setup or a 5wt setup. I know that the 5 is the most all round rod but could it be too much rod for these particular bodies of water.

2. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I'd vote for 4wt for the Snoqualmie forks. I've been out with my 6wt which is much too big but all I had; I think a 5wt would be okay but not great. But if you wanted to use it for stillwater in the future the 5 might be a better choice.

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I do not mean to be hostile to your inquiry but your question is a lot like asking how long is a piece of string.

I guess it would depend on where you fish mostly, and what you fish for. I would not buy a good rod just for one or two rivers unless I fished them exclusively. Flyfishing is a very accomodating sport. Unless you grossly overweight the equations you can fish either a four or a five weight for most any river in the state. There are a few exceptions. But even fishing the Columbia, there are places where a four weight might be just the ticket.

I have not fished the two rivers that you mentioned, but I am familiar with them and I know their sizes. I would think it would be a personal preference and either weight of rod would be just fine.

Tactics are a whole new ball game.

4. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    Olive,

You are a very hostile person LOL just kidding. Actually thank you very much for you insight. I actually only plan on fishing these bodies of water exclusively for the time being. So with that said I am in the air between the two. I am guess that if I go with the 4 wt I will not be fishing streamers at all. Correct me if I am wrong please. Thank you again.

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Well, hostile or not, I have never owned a 4 wt, I am a 5 wt fisher.
    Have never found myself to be under powered or over gunned for the trout in these waters. Now if I were going after steelies or bass, I would opt for a bigger gun.

So I do not feel qualified to give you sound advice on a 4 wt. and besides being hostile, I am just plain mean and lazy. LOL

NWstonefly and Danielocean like this.
  6. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    If I were primarily throwing dry flies on the two rivers you mention, then I'd go with the 4 weight. If I were throwing more streamers and/or double nymph rigs, then I'd go with the 5 weight. With that, I have never fished the Cedar but have fished the Sno and its forks.

7. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

No way to answer that without a lot more info. Keep in mind 80-90% of what you'll catch in the Cedar is 6-12". Given that, even my medium 4wt Winston is like bringing CIWS to a knife fight . Hell, I've caught 20+ " browns with it no problem. I say get a 3wt. You'll have a hell of a lot more fun. Get a four wt anyway too.

8. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I'd go for a 4 weight. 8'-8'6". Medium-moderate fast action. That only limits your choice to about 50 rods, go test them out and have fun finding your next toy.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

9. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Hey bud. If you're ONLY wanting to fish those rivers you can get a 3 wt even. That being said, if you ever want to fish for SRC, stillwater, or other fun things then a 5 wt would be far and away your best bet. I fish my 5 on the sno forks and sure the fish aren't much match for it but then again you aren't really chasing 6-10" trout for the fight. You can still delicately present super small dry Flys with a 5wt just fine.

I guess it comes down to if you go with a 3/4wt you are more optimally geared for those rivers but you eliminate yourself from fishing other areas within reason. Can't go wrong either way I guess!

10. Skyler Evans

Skyler Evans Active Member

I enjoyed using my 4wt on the cedar i still over powered the fish a little bit but it was more fun than my 5wt would have been and having a shorter rod made it a bit easier for me to stay out of the trees above the water.

11. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I only own one five weight and instead use 4's for my average trout fishing, then I have a 7 I use for streamers and hopper/heavy double nymphs. Don't really have any reason for not fishing a 5 weight, probably because I prefer the light rod for dries and I try not to use heavy double or triple nymph rigs as often.

That being said, if I'm starting out in the trout world and only want one rod, I'd get a medium action 9 foot 5 weight mid priced rod from any of the reputable brands. There's a reason why thats the standard. It will do anything well, streamers, heavy nymphs, dries, droppers, etc .

Olive bugger likes this.
  12. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    I'd vote for a three 3 wt. I do 90% of my fishing on the Cedar and sno forks. I find the finesse dry fly presentations I can get with the 3wt are worth the lighter rod.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

13. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Because the Cedar is a far better nymphing river than it is for dry flies, I would recommend a 9 footer for line control. Probably a 4 weight, way more fun for little cutties than a 5 but strong enough to overline and throw a thingmabobber on the Yak. I fish a 9' 4wt on the Clark Fork all the time.

14. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

IF your goal was a two rod setup, many would advocate a 6wt and a 4wt. You'll read that the 5 doesn't throw streamers like a 6, nor does it throw dries like a 4. Kind of a tweaner. OTOH, I own a few rods and the 5 is perfect often enough. I just got a 3 (two actually, but one is probably more like a 3.5, being graphite) but I think the honest 4wt is the better tool most of the time on small through medium sized water. Any wind and the 3 (or less) is a struggle IMO. Every trout fisher should own a good 4wt.
    (and a 5, and a 3, and a 6.....)

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    The only thing I am confused about is that you live in Monroe and fish the Cedar and Snoqualmie almost exclusively? Wow, I hope you work down there or have a romantic interest down there as there is a lot of good water way closer to you.

In all seriousness, what other weight rods do you already own?

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  16. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

The Orvis Clearwater 4wt 8-6 is a great mid-action rod for the price at great for the Sno's. With the Orvis Battenkill reel, its a great combo for the price and what I use. Another good option in that price range is the Cabelas LSI with the RLS reel combo. Both are very nice rods for the price.

17. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Buy whatever you want, because you'll be buying more rods in the future. Trust me on this......
    That being said, I'd go with a 5 wt if you don't aready have one. Perhaps a bit overkill for the waters you mentioned, but a 5wt is a super versatile rod wt and can be used for a number of fishing situations as you broaden your angling opportunities in the future.

Eric Denny likes this.
  18. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    Looks like pretty good deals on the 3,4,and 5wt CT at Cabela's right now.

Or check out their CGT fiberglass rod, might be fairly versatile in a 4wt from what the reviews say. It is not as well liked as the older CGR model but might be worth a look.

19. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I couldn't agree more.

Being almost exclusively a trout guy with a preference for small to medium moving water and mountain lakes, my favorite graphite for years has been a 5-piece Sage 4wt SP. I liked it so much I bought the exact same rod in both a 5wt and a 3wt.

I shoulda saved my money though because while the 4wt is nearly the ideal graphite rod for the kind of fishing I prefer, the 5wt is too stout and lacks finesse for smaller fish and the 3wt is too noodly and doesn't have the grunt to handle either wind or larger fish.

K

20. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I'm with the 4-wt folks on this. That seems to be all I use anymore, unless I'm specifically fishing for bruisers or casting heavy flies. I'll still use my 3-wt for dry fly fishing when there isn't much wind, and a 6 wt in the salt, but I fish a 4 more than anything else.

D

Gary Knowels likes this.