5wt and 6wt length question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Akuriko, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Hi, i have a question does a 5wt in 9ft matter say against a 8.6 foot? or say same with a 6wt in a 9ft vs 9.6 foot? i would like to know if the extra 6 inches matters for any reason, looking to purchase a 6 wt and 5wt orvis encounter for family and was stuck on the length of those rods.

Thanks

~Akuriko

2. 9ft might be considered an all-rounder while the longer rod better for the nymph and the shorter better for accuracy and dry fly.
    IMHO - in a 5 or 6 weight for general trout fishing the 9' is ideal and the other lengths are for more specific water.
    That said, I use couple 5 weights, a 10' #5 for nymphing and fishing out of my kick boat and the 9' for everything else.
    The 10 footer is great with indicators ect.

3. I have a 5 wt. switch rod, 11 feet that is a great trout rod. MOst everything else I have is 9 ft. just by habit.

4. I am really starting to prefer the 8'6" rods for 6 wt. and under because they are lighter and seem to throw as well as a 9' from a tube/toon. I only have two; the rest are all 9'. Try casting both. The resale on a 9' will be better as will the used price as a purchaser usually be lower.

5. I'm selling my 5wt 9" and 4 wt 8'6" rods in favor of 4wt 6'6" and 8' both in fiberglass for dry fly, and 6wt 9' graphite for nymphing or just dry with a dropper. Also have a 6wt 11' switch rod for swinging a wet fly to larger trout and summer run steelies. Just my preference.

6. Personally, I've prefer 8' for my 6wts & 7'6" for my 4wt. I no longer own any 5wts so that's a non-issue. When fishing the OR surf, I'll bump up to an 8'6" 7 or 8wt. I'm also fishing glass pretty much all of the time and the thought of double hauling a 9+ foot glass rod doesn't exactly get me too excited. I can't remember the last time I wish I would have had a 9' rod due to line management issues (I'm sure there have been a handful, but it's few and far between) & and have always felt that the difference between an 8' vs 9' with that regard is pretty negligible. That's just my opinion based on my experience.

as an aside, my two favorite graphite rods (which I no longer own) was an 8'6" 5wt and an 8' 6wt.

7. I too am finding the 8'6" rods lighter, more manageable from a pontoon, and don't see any drop in distance. I do see an increase in accuracy. I think you have to cast both to determine which is better for your use. A few months ago I would not have considered anything shorter than 9'. I think we've been told 9' is the default so many times we just accept it without actually looking at shorter (and lighter) options.

Edit: Geez-- Already posted, sorry

8. It's refreshing to read that others are finding rods short of 9' pleasurable (too). Nine feet has become the defacto norm and naturally many then are pushing to 9'6" or even 10'. A reasonable argument can be made for long rods fishing out of a float tube (or similar), or for fishing a long(ish) line on rivers or nymphing. But for all out pleasurable fishing and casting, 8' and 8'6" rods are hard to beat. More accurate too. My very unscientific preferences are: 4wt - 7'6" to 8"0", 5wt 8'0" to 8'6", 6wt 8'0" to (maybe) 9'0". Material plays into this as well. FWIW & YMMV

9. In addition to fishing from a pontoon or a boat you have to sit in, I'll add beach fishing as a good place for a rod longer than 9'. Other than those situations, I usually pick up a rod that's under 9'. Having said that, a nine footer gets it done in a lot of situations. So here's my recommendation- if you fish stillwater from a boat you have to sit in and/or will be doing beach fishing get the nine footer. If you're primarily fishing rivers and creeks go for something shorter.

10. Thanks for all the advice, i was curious for lake and river fishing that has no boat or belly boat avalible.

11. I won't go over 8'6" on any of my rods, 2 up thru 6wt