6wt or 7wt for a switch...

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Josh, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Well, I'm not likely to turn down an offer to try out a rod.

2. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I didn't know how to describe how I felt about the 7 wt. Now I know. Thanks.

3. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

i think i get it now. a 7wt switch is awkward for single handed casting, right ?

4. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I have a particular 7 wt that I have not found a line that makes casting intuitive which is the way I think two-handed rods should feel. That 7 switch is awkward when spey casting. We tried several lines on a 7wt Z-Axis switch. It was fine but but still felt kind of weird. I am sure there are folks out there who love their 7 wts but Derek's description matched my feelings about the few I've cast.

5. hydrological

so the zaxis 7wt is awkward for spey asting. what lines were you throwing on it? scandi, skagit, or both? i've only thrown the 8wt zwitch. i really liked it with a sandi at 28' . didnt try it with a skagit. some rods just have a narrower grain window. and what a differene there can be between 7 wts. burkie 7117 about 450 for scandi, winston 7110 about 325. so, really, one should be a 5 and the other an 8. where do they come up with those numbers anyway? and how ould anyone decide on a rod weight based on an arbitrary number? i dont, but i would use my 6119 tcx for small steelhead, if i had to, but no way on that winston 7.
    but then i prefer to land fish quikly.

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

The real major difference (all things considered sort of thing) between a 6 and a 7 is what you want/need in the way of sinking tips. With a 6 your pretty much restricted to sinking poly leaders or short runs of T 8 or 11. With the extra line grain weights with a 7 larger/heavier heads, larger flies, etc.

7. Buzzby

Buzzby New Member

I'm considering my first 6wt switch purchase and wondered if anyone has experience enough to recommend either a Beulah, TFO, Echo, or CTS? Good vs bad points, etc.

8. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I have a 7110 Z-Axis for smaller flows, smaller steel; a 4 wt Echo SR that is an absolute joy to cast for trout; and I traded my Beulah 4/5 to a guy in Canoodia for a Guideline LeCie 7/8 switch, which in America would be considered a 6. It is an absolute hoot for skating dries, it's like a little Skandi fishbroom. I think a hot summer steelhead would have her way with you on a 6 wt switch.

hydrological likes this.
  9. Buzzby

Buzzby New Member

SpeySpaz,
    This would be for trout and the local landlocks. What didn't you like about the Beulah?

10. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    the Beulah is a wonderful rod, but I was looking for a scandi taper with more snap for underhanding.

11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Damn it!!! I succumbed to desire...again. I filled out the line-up with a smokin' deal on a TCX 6119. Of course, I didn't need it but then again, I have a great small river rod or if the spirit moves me,a great salt water salmon rod from the beach or whatever suits my fancy. I need to go to a group session somewhere to get some help.:)

12. hydrological

unfortunately our 12 step program just leads you downstream thru the run more quickly. sages are a gateway drug. eventually you may get hooked on burkies. they are the heroin of graphite, but it feels like ecstasy.

Nooksack Mac likes this.
  13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Just personal observation as to when you'll probably (fish, flow, river, yada-yada) use, but a 6 in a short 2hander.

14. Frenchie

Frenchie Member

I have a 4, 6 and 7 weight switch rods...

I se the 4 for our local cutthroat and rainbows. The 6 is for bulls and big sculpins. The 7 is for steelhead.

Done

Jon

15. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Honestly, is there that much of a difference? For what you're thinking of, either would be fine. I have a 7 wt. switch and consider it perfect for summer runs on small waters. Of course, I have a 5 wt. switch too and couldn't think of any compelling reason to have something in between.

16. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

Had a 6 wt and a 7wt switch and sold the 7 for an 8 to use with the bigger tips/flies.
    But that's just me. If I were to have only one I'd do serious research on the 7's that are available.

17. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I have a few different lines for my 7 wt Z-Axis and have found the Rio Scandi Short Versitip in #7 a perfect match. I have a traditional Scandi line for that rod that I do not find as easy to cast, and a Skagit line that works great but I just don't use much because I'm typically using the 7 wt. Z to fish small flies on a floater or light tip.

18. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Josh.....go see Ed or Scott at our local fly shop down at the Harbor Mall. They can steer you through the maze and get you a matched combination you will love. There is nothing worse (nor more expensive) than a mismatched outfit.

19. kmac

kmac Active Member

I bought a cheap Cabelas 6wt 11'6"recently as my first try at a switch rod. So, far I like it, but seems a little bit on the light side for big fish. I'm going to try it on the summer steel head on the Stilly. I then plan to go into see Ed and Scott at Confluence later in the year for an upgrade (probably TFO Deercreek 7wt). I think I'll keep the 6wt for Dollys or large Rainbows.