7/23 MA9 report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Rob Ast, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

I hit the beaches for the first time this year. I was at a popular Kitsap county locale at 5:00, with the beach already holding a fair number of anglers. I saw a few fish taken sporadically, but no big pods passing through. Two fish to hand, and I called it a morning at 8:30.

IMG_0943.JPG

2. daveypetey

daveypetey Active Member

I am so JEALOUS.

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Damn, nice work!

That was possibly the most low-key post to end with "two to hand" ever!

4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Actually, the whole morning was pretty low key, so that fits. Interestingly both fish hit within 20 feet of the rod, so no prolonged battles as I tried to get them in. It was pretty much "clamp down and surf them into the beach".

5. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

That's great man. Glad you found some fish either way. I'm getting excited for them to start finding their way a little closer to me.

Have fun out there.

J

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Rob,
    Nice report, fish....and basket! ;)
    SF

7. Ralphie

Ralphie Mike Ralph

Nice work Rob! Glad to hear you hooked them so close since I can only cast 21 ft.

8. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Nice work!

9. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Nice work! And 'Ho's to boot!

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Thanks for the report. Still pretty hit or miss right now it seems. Glad you got it on a "hit" day! Monday at a different MA9 beach, our group of 3 had 4 hookups and 2 fish to the beach (pinks). That was the only action for anyone on the beach all morning except a king caught on herring.

11. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Way to step up to the slot machine for the first time this year, pull the handle, and hit the jackpot!

12. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

wait... where are my Ho's?

Nice Fish Rob! What kind of fly did you get them on?

13. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Different area codes...

Denny and wadin' boot like this.
  14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Nice Rob!

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I'll be hitting probably the same popular beach on my way to Neah Bay Friday morning. Let me know if you'll be making another appearance.

16. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Boot, fly was a no-name baitfish: chartreuse over white Farrar blend with a cone head and red octopus stinger.

Evan, I'll be working Friday AM, good luck out there.

wadin' boot likes this.
  17. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Rob is a cool cat, a short and sweet report is to be expected. Solid outing!

Evan, if you need a place to crash...

18. doublebluff

doublebluff Go Beavs

I also fished an area 9 beach Sunday and Monday. I get my one trip to Whidbey every year, and every year I fish the same way- find the lowest of the low tides during which there is never any current, very little wind (hopefully, and no south wind pleez!), on a total sandy bottom. Wade out as far as I can go and cast at any dimple that I see on the surface, salmon sized or teeny, and at any bait swimming around, of course. Two coho and a humpy, all on a chartreuse over white size six clouser. The humpy was a surprise, and really took me for a ride, well into my backing. My family got some crab too...
    DSCF9110.JPG

DSCF9108.JPG

DimeBrite, SciGuy, Jeff Dodd and 2 others like this.
  19. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Very nice doublebluff! It's surprising how feisty fresh humpies can be.

Ed- do you have room for a second wandering angler? I'll bring homebrew :)

20. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I think his offer is for a place to park the truck. I doubt he wants us stirring the house at 4am