7/23 MA9 report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Rob Ast, Jul 23, 2013.

1. I hit a westside MA9 beach today without a lot of love.

Started out at about 9 a.m. and the only excitement was at about 2 p.m. when a 5 or 6 lb. fish zoomed in at hyper-speed and tried to grab my fly about 10 ft. away from my feet. I was so startled (was gettin' really used to nothing happenin') that I stopped the retrieve and obviously the fish decided "I'm outta here!"

Lesson learned!

Saw 3 silvers landed by bait/gear fishermen. One about 5 lbs. and the others smaller.

I also found that the bullhead in this area absolutely love chartreuse! Any time I put out a fly with chartreuse I had nonstop sculpin action!

2. Fished 1 hour last night, Northern MA 10. Got 1 Pink.

Saw a friend of mine fishing with his 11 yr. old daughter and she landed a nice Coho while I was talking with him.

3. Tim,
    If you are filling up your bullhead punchcard, it is time to start stripping faster.....;)

Bummer about not hooking up that bigger fish. At the end of each retrieve, swing your rod across your body. Lots of times that accelerated up current action of your pattern will get the followers to eat right at the rod tip.
    SF

Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. Edit: Stonefish beat me to it...strip faster. I can't remember the last time I caught a bullhead.

5. I caught a bullhead earlier in the year while doing my coho strip with an unweighted fly and floating line. Dude must have been on the prowl...

6. Nicely done Rob!

7. Yeah, after nearly filling that particular CRC I did step up the stripping action but still caught the occasional staghorn when using a chartreuse pattern. They didn't seem to care much for other colors.

Foggy and breezy most of the day and even when the fog started to burn off mid-afternoon the NW wind had me wishin' I'd brought more than just my lightweight Patagucci jacket! Brrrrr!

It was cool to watch a bald eagle feeding on some fish offal about 50 feet down the beach from me and at least there weren't the crowds that I expect are currently prowling the beaches at PNP!