7wt rod

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dmlach, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dmlach New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm looking to buy a 7wt for mostly redfish in la. I'm looking at a loomis shorestalker and was wondering if anyone has any reviews. Thanks!
  2. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Sorry I don't have the stalker
    But the 7 wt nrx kick ass
    Cheers
  3. Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I've had a 6-wt Loomis CrossCurrent (the older 3-pc GL3 model) for several years, and like it alot for Puget Sound beach fishing.

Jim B.
  4. Coug84 Go Cougs!!!

Seattle, Washington
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I have Sage One 9' 7wt for about 2 years for all around salmon fishing on the beach and I LOVE the rod!!! :)
  5. Anil Active Member

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +205 / 6
    I was very impressed by them. They are very light, easy to cast and seemed like a great value…
    For our neck of the woods, they are just too short for use on the beaches. Most of our beaches are pretty angled and carrying enough line to get sufficient distance with a rod this length (8’6”) is pretty damn hard. Most guys out here are using 9’ or many are using 9’6” models.
    Now, for Redfish at short to medium distances wading in shallow water, it would probably be very nice. I think these rods would be even better from the casting deck of a boat.
    Having said all that, I agree with ‘rotato’, the 7 weight NRX is THE BEST Flats rod I’ve ever fished.
  6. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 1
    Not sure what redfishing entails but if fast action is OK you might also look at the Echo S3 rods. I threw a 7wt S3 a few months ago and was amazed. That'll huck some tight assed loops a long ways.
  7. Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0