WTB A good 5 weight..

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Moose38, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Moose38

Moose38 Member

I'm looking to upgrade to a faster 5 weight rod. I currently own an older Orvis mid flex rod (my first fly rod) and have always wanted a faster, more powerful rod that I can cast further. I'm looking for a 9' or maybe 9'6'' rod.

I'd love something like a sage or gloomis but with a budget of around $200 I'm not sure that is possible. If you have anything that fits the bill, let me know!

-Eli

2. Moose38

Moose38 Member

Anyone?

3. 5shot

5shot Member

I've got a Brand New TFO TiCr-X, with plastic still on the cork and the warranty card.

4. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I have an Orvis Tip-Flex 4 piece Power Matrix...

5. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Nothing for sale right now, other than cheap advise. Hang on to that mid-flex rod. In 20/20 hind sight, after moving to faster rods, many of us (geezers) have come to appreciate medium action. A good quality Orvis (or whatever) will always be a good quality rod.
    True, fast action rods can throw farther... maybe 5 feet. It's the driver, not the car.

tonemike, Moose38, R00k and 1 other person like this.
  6. lando

lando Member

I'd pick up a used or new TFO BVK for that price range.

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

Would you consideran 8'6" rod? I have a Helios 5 wt 8'6", tip flex.

8. Moose38

Moose38 Member

Pms sent. Thanks for the replies and advice!

9. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

If the need to purchase as fast action rod to make longer cast I think there is a problem where you are fishing may just need to move closer because any fish that you need to cast more than 30ft you probably not going to get a proper drift unless using a nymph or just get a less expensive Switch rod in 11'9" BUT for $200 not possible