A gormet meal in camp

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Alex MacDonald, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I'm sending thanks to my French Grandmother for teaching me some cooking skills when I was young. Tonight's dinner was steak au poivre-pepper steak in a cream sauce. Simple and easy, not to mention quick! And it's easily done on a camp stove, just get a good bottle of Bordeaux to go with it!
    first, take a cube of Knorr beef broth, crumble it up in a bowl and add a little olive oil, and spread it over the steaks like a dry rub. Then get your pan REALLY hot. Throw in the steaks and let them brown until medium rare, then remove. Deglaze the pan with Worchestershire sauce (you might want to turn down the heat a little for this), add cream and a crumbled Knorr chicken broth cube, an some green peppercorns. A lighter sauce is milder, so adjust accordingly. Once the sauce begins to thicken, dump the steaks back in and spoon the sauce over them. Voila---steak au poivre. Maybe 15 minutes of cooking time. Simple, easy, and fantastic! Bon appetite, mes amis!!

constructeur and Skysoldier like this.
  2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Nice, how about that Hungarian stew recipe?

3. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

I've seen Marco Pierre White use the same recipe.

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Where do you get that type of wine ? Never seen it on the wine aisle at 7/11, I'm guessing my house wine( T-bird ) isn't a good fit for this dish!

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Great fare!

Alex's Hungarian Goulash:
    2lbs stew meat, diced smaller
    2 pounds of Russian Banana finger potatoes
    one red bell pepper, diced
    one large yellow onion, diced
    3-4 sliced carrots
    about a 3rd of a cup pearl barley
    pound of small mushrooms
    fresh garlic-mashed or shredded-to taste
    a can of beef broth
    Hungarian paprika
    salt
    sour cream
    Ale
    bourbon

Sautee the stew meat and onions with a little olive oil, throw in the beef broth and the rest of the ingredients except the sour cream, and let simmer for awhile, add about half a bottle of decent IPA, and a good shot of bourbon, and simmer a little more. Adjust the salt level.
    When the pearl barley's soft, add the sour cream and the paprika, give it a good stir, and voila!

Ed Call likes this.
  6. Alex MacDonald

It's been so long since I made that goulash, I don't remember what I put in it, so Kudos to Mark for restoring it!
    Well done, Mark-Thanks!

Ed Call likes this.
  7. Alex MacDonald

That's where I got it originally: great chef! I use dry mixed "gourmet" peppercorns though, for a little more zip.

Ed Call and constructeur like this.