A lot of shad over Bonneville

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I swing 'em at the end of a short shooting head. Most takes come at the end of the swing/stripping it in. Sometimes I vary retrieve during the swing and it seems to work better with a fast retrieve, other times not so much.

2. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

I participated in the debauchery today... ended up fishing in the international crowd below Bonneville with a spinning rod and chartreuse shad darts... chuck it as far out as possible and a slow retrieve seemed to work.

Let's just say we have a plethora of crab bait and even more shad then that were returned to the river. A nasty head wind had me thinking twice about bringing the fly rod down from the car so I just fished the spinning rod.

Tons of fun though.

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

It appears 2 million shad have gone over the dam in the past 10 days. This is a big run.

(probably all on the Oregon side as they don't have sales tax)

4. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

WOW. I really should go do this one day. Tough leaving phenomenal fishing right now for shad though. Gonna have to suck it up one day and just do it.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

If you do go you better do it while 200K per day is coming over, otherwise you'll have to chase the fish and they will be somewhere upriver.

6. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

I AM LOOKING FOR SOME SHAD DARTS WITHOUT ANYTHING ON THEM SO I CAN PUT THE MYLAT ON THEM. ANY ONE KNOW WHERE THEY CAN BE BOUGHT? THANKS, MIKE W

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

8. zen leecher aka bill w

A regular ball head jig works for this. It can either have the barb or be barbless. If you don't want the lead barb trim it off with a knife.

9. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

evan, it looks like you are on the washington side. which dam? looks like a blast on a fly rod. gonna try it next thurs or friday. mike w

10. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

evan, figured out where you were with some help. how do you like your allen reel? mike w

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Considering my paycheck comes from said company, my opinion is exceptionally biased :cool:

We actually smoke them with mesquite at around 120f for about an hour, then can them with sriracha hot sauce, dried chilis, salt, and oil. The result is absolutely fantastic and diverse. Never had them any way but canned, so it's hard to say for sure what their flavor is. I just didn't feel like dealing with the bones with other methods.

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Thanks for the info Evan.

14. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

Little school of freshly tied darts I am taking down to the columbia next week.
    WP_20130619_002.jpg

15. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

zen, that is exactly what i was looking for. will tie a bunch just like that for thursday. thank you, mike w

16. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

how deep are these things. could they be had with a bobber like drift? if so then sling it upstream and let it drift by and nail them. are they close to shore? am ready to catch some shad. mike w

17. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

They're about 4-5' down. And no, the bobber/dead drift thing doesn't really work. Tried it many, many times. Swinging/stripping is much, much more effective.