A River Runs Through It TRIVIA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by A.B. Langford, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Arnold Richardson is the old man.

2. Okay,that's long enough....it's a simple Slip Knot...

Who was the Technical Advisor for this movie?

3. would that be Jerry Seim?

4. You can blame John Bailey....:)

5. George Croonenberghs
    Next answer: Susan Traylor (Bob Dylans DiL)

6. Well, I've used this knot my entire 54 years of fly fishing! For trout that is. Fast, and has ALWAYS worked for me. Go figure.....

7. If the knot works for you, that's great. Most likely it depends on what you were first taught to tie and for me it was a clinch knot and then later an improved clinch knot. As long as the sucker doesn't break, I don't think it makes much difference in the real world.

8. A Turle is what I was first taught.

9. Learned a clinch first. Then tied so many Double Turles I forgot how to tie anything else. And I'm a knot guy. Now I mix it up with Clinch, Non-slip loops and Turles where appropriate. Don't remember the last Turle tho. A minor PITA with the Turle is removing the knot the next time you use the fly. You're in a hurry and the knot has solidified on the shank. And picking it off you snag some head threads.

10. I suck at knots. I use the Davy Knot on my flies. If I'm not shaking very bad I will do a improved Clinch knot. Any other knot tying I have to fumble through. For adding tippets I use a double surgeons knot. I don't have enough fingers to tie a blood knot. Don't ask about the fingers on a Blood knot. My fingers don't flex enough to tie a good blood knot.

I used to be able to tie a Turle knot but forgot how to.

11. Gets me time and time again I hear how this movie ruined fly fishing, please explain to me how.

Was this movie really about fly fishing? how to cast? proper technique to approach a drift and cast accordingly, etc ?

I guess I am missing something?? but I have led a sheltered life

Please explain

12. At the time I started flyfishing, there really wasn't that many folks interested in that sort of angling.... as a result, the flyfishing only fisheries in Oregon were fairly limited in the number of fishers.

I don't think the movie actually "ruined" the sport but because it popularized it, fisheries that were once fairly sparse suddenly became crowded.

I... as are some others... were a tad put-off by the sudden influx of water floggers where there were just a few.

On the flipside... a number of new publications sprung up that dealt with flyfishing and I was able to sell them freelance material.

I know a lot of flyfishing freelance guys who told me they would have gladly gave up the increase in freelance sales in favor of the sport remaining as it was and not so heavily populated.

I guess it just depends on your view of what the sport was and what it became. I can see the good and bad of the impact of "the movie".

58366875.jpg

dryflylarry and Don Freeman like this.
  13. Thanks GAT,

I see your point of view. I just looked at the story line and then it had some fly fishing in it. It reminds me of my father, brother and I throughout the years.

Again thank you for giving your view.

William

14. That's the deal. Following the movie, there were suddenly so many wanna-be Brad Pitts on the banks, the quiet part of the past-time was gone, maybe forever. I was an instant curmudgeon at 32.

About the same time a heretic invented some kind of bat to use in handball courts, and there went the neighborhood. You had to join a snotty club instead of playing for free under the tennis courts at U of O.
    There's a Willamette Valley stab from the past for you, GAT.

There was a pair of old farts at the club I had to join that had T-shirts which read "A woman should do her serving from the kitchen".

And that's why I hate the movie, not the story. If you like McLean, also read Logging, Pimping, and Your Friend, Jim in the same collection, and his other book, Young Men and Fire.

Oh, some of us use still the Turle knot on up turned-eye steelhead flies.

apistomaster likes this.
  15. As I mentioned, some good things did come from the huge influx of fly anglers. Fly tying products and gear probably gained the most. When there wasn't as many customers, the advent of gear and materials improvements were slow to evolve. Once "the movie" created thousands of additional customers, improvements came about quite quickly.

There is no doubt in my mind that "the movie" helped create the Golden Age of Fly Tying.
    Never before was there so much in the way of materials and tools to pick from. Everything from hooks to chicken feathers vastly improved. The flies tied today are far and beyond better than those tied before "the movie" caused the interest in flyfishing and tying.

And of course, many, many more start-up companies started selling rods, reels, vests, personal floating craft, waders and boots.

So really, the only downside was the sudden crowding conditions on the rivers and lakes ... sure it's selfish to want it all for a limited number but that's the way it was before the popularity of the sport skyrocketed after the movie hit the theaters. Some of us old guys were accustomed to very few others on flyfishing only fisheries and we suddenly felt over-ran. The movie was held to blame.

I remember fishing The Metolius before "the movie" and it was rare to see more than a handful of other fly anglers on the river. So, there was lots of space and you felt a bit of a solitude while fishing the river. That quickly evaporated right after Robert Redford caused an avalanche of new flyfishers. The Met became so crowded, I stopped fishing it.

Damn that Robert Redford :D

dryflylarry likes this.
  16. Bimini twist... yup, for sure a BT. Anil showed me that effing knot 3x prior to a Key West trip and I could not even begin to start one two days later. Whoever is responsible for that horror of a knot is demented.

17. Anyone who comes up with a knot that requires you use a knee to tie the sucker should be shot! :D

astrofisher likes this.
  18. When I fish the Blue Ribbon river's here in Montana. I have the river's to myself after Labor Day. I don't even fish the same river's in the summer time, to crowded.

19. IIRC Visa Card ran an ad back in the late '60s or early '70's with a lovely bamboo rod, a nice reel and a colorful fly. A fellow tied the fly on the leader and cast the fly out in a delightful loop and the fly settled on the water. That was, to me, the beginning of the influx of new blood into the sport. The move came along to bolster the sport as the
    interest began to stablize.

I believe that he used a cinch knot in that commercial.

As far as the River knot, I have no idea of what it is. I like the granny knot on all of my lines. Saves cleaning fish.

20. A fellow by the name of Jason Borger did the majority of the casting that you see in the movie. This was accomplished by a bit of slight-of-hand with Jason's casting being what you see through the use of what was dubbed "shadow casting". Jason did the actual casting on the river and a blue screen was used by the actors to mimic the casting motions of Jason with a rod and reel in their hand, but no line, in the studio. Then movie magic editing was used to make it look like the actors were laying out those beautiful loops on the river.

For the close-up shots of actors on the river, the actors were doing the casting, but if you notice when watching the movie, there was always a slight "break" when it moved from a close-up to wide-angle shot of the casting, or vice-versa.

My problem with this movie has nothing to do with the increased interest in fly fishing that it generated because I happen to think that was and still is a good thing. My problem with the movie is that the fly fishing sequences are usually very unrealistic, but those who have never fly fished, or have only fly fished a very little, don't know that. They think this is the way it should be done.

I also have a problem with movie making it seem like a good fly fisher is able to go forth and catch some pretty impressive trout provided he has the proper fly. And of course, it has to be a dry fly.

Yes, the casting is excellent, which I would expect and would have been very disappointed if it hadn't been so due to Jason's great skill. But the fishing sequences are not realistic, as any of us with a few years of fly fishing experience know. And we also know that dry flies, especially standard dry flies tied in the Halford and Gordon traditions of supposedly imitating mayflies, are not very likely to result in large fish being hooked that are shown in the movie on rivers of that type. A large Salmon Fly Stonefly, October Caddis, Hex Mayfly, Eastern Green Drake, and similar large flies can and do result in such large trout being taken on dries. But when was the last time you saw, or heard, about a large 4-5 pound (or large like the movie) trout being raised and caught on a standard #14 dry fly in a free-stone river?