A River Runs Through It TRIVIA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by A.B. Langford, Sep 10, 2013.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +798 / 1
    I wouldn't doubt that to have been fairly routine during the time frame the story took place.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,739 / 0
    True, but the rate in which the father and sons were knocking off the fish, there ain't any remaining :D

The movie was a movie. Flyfishing wasn't really the point so of course the casting was exaggerated and hardly what you normally see when actually flyfishing. I know I don't stand up on a boulder and cast out my entire line when fishing a fast-moving river (not that I could nor care to).

I was surprised that flyfishing suddenly became popular because of the movie. Unlike On Any Sunday, a movie dedicated to all the aspects of riding motorcycles, this was a movie that revolved around a family and the interaction of that family in rural Montana... flyfishing was really a small part of the plot and not the point. They could have been spin fishing instead of flyfishing and the story would have remained the same.

But it wouldn't have looked as cool if a guy was standing on a boulder and tossing a worm and weight a country mile into a river. :)

As the effectos of "the movie" wore off, the popularity of flyfishing has declined significantly. Most likely because those who took up the sport because of the movie discovered it isn't nearly as easy as the movie indicated and fly casting takes quite some time to master. Plus, fly pattern selection is usually a little more complicated than what you happen to have hanging on your fedora and certainly not limited to dry fly fishing.

It was a movie about a family, not a flyfishing documentary. Evidently a lot of folks who decided to take up flyfishing because of what they saw in the movie missed that point.
    Nooksack Mac likes this.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +440 / 0
    Perhaps the changes in the fishing environment have cause some to pause or decline to take up the silk line and limber heartwood.

Cost of gear has exploded! There is a intimidating amount of gear out there and casting is not as easy as chucking a chunkalead and worm out with an inexpensive spinning reel on a fiberglass rod. Marketing has gone pretty much to the high end with trips to exotic places to fish for a week or extended time. Access to good water is a premium and usually will cost more than a day at the park with planted fish.

Of course there is an up side to that also. Gear, while being more expensive, is also technically advanced. Albeit, some still prefer the
    old school bamboo rod and/or a semi soft fiberglass rod.

The idea in my books however, is to enjoy a trip with rod and reel and let the chips fall where they may.
    RRivera likes this.
  4. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    Agreed. Not sure the movie captures it, but I love McLean's written imagery of Paul shadow casting from the boulder. The fly being cast so that it suspends precariously close to the water's surface and hungry trout is such a cool metaphor for how Paul is living his life. The artistic soul flirting with disaster - good stuff. I wonder if people have actually tried shadow casting, that would be pretty funny.
  5. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Turle. If you notice how his wrist twists and the movement of his fingers, it's clear he's forming a slipnot--the first knot formed before passing it over the fly to secure the loop over the shank behind the eye, thus completing the Turle. For me, the giveaway movements were how he first pushes the loop through the bight to initially form the slipknot and then the fingers of one handing hold open the loop while the other hand sets the choking/cinching part of the knot.
  6. apistomaster Member

Clarkston, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Amen to that, Don.
    Just after it came out all the rivers and lakes became over run by newbies equipped with expensive gear.
    And it seemed to me like these folks kept their flies in the air more than in the water.
    Also noticed how long distance casting was something of their badge showing off what they were taught in casting classes.
    Ironic really since most fish are hooked within 35 ft of you.
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Very true. Another thing I see is that some will wade into the river before even looking at the near bank to see if there are any good drifts or holes that can be fished. Seems like they are fixed on the other side of the river with a fifty yard cast and a #22 fly. Unfortunately almost all will never achieve that goal.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    One day while fishing the Barns Holes in YNP, a young lady and her dog showed up. As I'm keen to watch what other fly anglers are doing, I watched her string up her rod, walk down to the river and start casting. She was quite impressive. She was making long, long beautiful casts. I'm sure everyone at the Barns Holes was impressed.

After a half hour of casting, she packed up and drove away.

Evidently some folks prefer casting to actually catching fish. Personally, I'm in it for the catching bit and not the casting. At the time, a dead drift presentation with a dropper system was working to catch trout so you didn't need to cast any further than 20 feet.

But boy howdy!... she could cast... she didn't catch any fish but she sure could cast!
  9. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    Especially, mechanical (robotic) fish. ;)
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    It is required to cast a country mile to catch a mechanical trout... :)
  11. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    BUT. are quite sure that the knot was not a granny knot?
  12. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +649 / 2
    I loved the fly casting in this movie. I had already been fly fishing for about 15 years with mostly glass and in 81 went to full flex superfine rods. Many of the casting that was filmed just can not be done with a fast rod, soft flexing rods allow so many more cast and manipulations of the line there is really no comparison.

I have fished with some other fisherman recently that just had to cast a country mile all day long! it seems the "ART OF CASTING" means a whole new thing these days. The tight loop 70 to 90 ft. bombs seem to prove how good a fly fisherman is today - NOT -

Its the shadow cast - the 40 to 50 ft. roll cast turning over a 12 to 14 ft. leader that is the art of fly casting! The side arm - under brush cast or the drop cast - loop under just over the water lifting fly at the end of cast to float down like a feather to "touch the water" that rules the art of fly casting!

What I noticed about the casting in the movie was how the rod flexed even after the cast was complete, vibrating, tip being pulled "flexed" with the line still in its loop! all the things that today's rod makers or fly fisherman considered CRAP or noodles or worthless!

The art of casting to me has nothing to do with a 90 ft. cast, should you be able to do one "yes" for certain situations but has nothing to do with the art if you ask me! I have a couple bombing rods but all the rest are flexing "NOODLES" because there are things you can do with boo - glass - and noodle graphite you can never do with a fast - tip flex bomber. Give me the 30 to 60 foot comfortable casting distance and let me play with the "art of casting" and catch fish all day long and you will hear any complaints from me!

I myself loved the movie and could care less how many people picked up the sport. One thing I do know is 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish! More people in fly fishing only means that people became much more aware of what managing quality waters for fish means.
    Dan Nelson likes this.
  13. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    I believe it was Jason Borger who performed the casting scenes.
  14. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    When was the last time you saw gill nets in the Sahara?
    I took that as a facetious comment.
  15. silvercreek Active Member

Ratings: +218 / 0
    FYI trivia - a bamboo rod was NOT used to perform the shadow cast. Jason broke 2 bamboo rods before Redford OK's using a graphite composite fly rod.
  16. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +75 / 0

3 pages and no one has bothered to ask dflett68 what his coming out has to do with fly fishing?
    bitterroot likes this.
  17. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +197 / 0
    i used to be ashamed of it, but now i don't care who knows - i like TENKARA!
  18. silvercreek Active Member

Ratings: +218 / 0
    RRTI Trivia - Watch the segment where paul catches the big rainbow and follows the trout downstream. The scene was shot twice; once in the summer during primary shooting.

Then during editing, Redford was not satisfied and Jason had to shoot the scene again during winter in FEBRUARY in period clothing. The river was lined with artificial greenery. But because of the harsh winter light, they could not color balance the winter shots to match the summer shots. You can tell what scenes were shot during winter and which ones during summer.

Second trivia - two different rainbows were used during this part of the movie. One is clearly a hook jawed male but the other is a female. You can tell that the fish are switched when you closely examine the fish during various shots.

Third Trivia - For that scene, Jason went to the Yellowstone in Paradise Valley and caught two large rainbows. Jason put them in a cage in the river so he could recover them when needed. When the scene was scheduled to be shot, Jason went back to get the fish. He discovered the someone had either taken or released the fish. Jason then had to fish and catch two more large rainbows which are the ones used in the scene.

Fourth Trivia - the movie poster has Jason making the cast. The leader was not obvious enough in the photo so it was retouched. The retouching only accentuated the leader and did not change the cast.

[IMG]
  19. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +220 / 0
    Could be that you're the only one on the site who:

A. Reads for content
    or
    B Doesn't realize that I'm not to be taken seriously
  20. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    More like one BSer can spot another a mile off.