A River Runs Through It TRIVIA

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by A.B. Langford, Sep 10, 2013.

1. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Ok... A little counter productive to my argument, but...

I use to do this a thing that was basically false casting, but allowing the fly to just touch the surface of the water. Three out of four times I could pull it off where the fly would touch the water a few times before I would lay it down. This trick never worked on trout, but I caught a lot of blue gill using this trick. They would run, sometimes several at a time to see what was going on. Then the fly would land and BAM! The biggest one would grab it. Since it didn't work on trout I haven't tried it since the last time I fished blue gills. Which is probably fifteen years ago. A very worthy fly rod fish in Ca. Not so much here in Wa.
  2. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    Gary LaFontaine described a method in his book on fishing mountain lakes called the floss blow line. He would utilize unwaxed dental floss spooled on a reel, attach a tippet and fly to the end and let the wind blow the line out dapping and bouncing the fly on the surface. I've never tried it but he claimed it was deadly.

No metaphors in that chapter-just interesting practical stuff to try. Might be fun with an adult damsel next spring in the basin.
  3. tinman207 Active Member

Ratings: +102 / 0
    Never thought about the shadowcasting thing as compared to dapping. I have caught a buttload of fish in pocketwater dapping nymphs and dry's, often getting fish to strike virtually as the fly hits the water. I am positive they see it coming sometimes and start moving towards it right before it hits. These are usually fish that are holding and looking up for something to ambush right in thier little window.

This thread also reminded me of one of my old favorites-- Hemingway's: Big Two-Hearted River I and II. The way Hemingway describes details is always incredible and refreshing to me. Just try to read this short story and not find yourself with an incredibly rich mental picture of the scene he describes. I feel like I fished this meadow every time I read through it. If you haven't read it, take 20 minutes and look it up.
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +243 / 1
    This is a very old technique commonly used on Lochs throughout Great Britain.

TC