A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    I think you should starting nymphing beadz for steelhead. Thats one way to make this thread more interesting.
  2. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +648 / 0

Dude trust me I am game for anything. I started trying nymphing techniques the last couple times I was out. The only thing I wonder is if I switch it up too much when I am out there. I keep telling myself that perhaps I need to just pick a fly and hold to it.
  3. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    I think most people would probably say yes. From what I gather, the only reason to change a fly would be if you actually saw a steelhead take a look at it then refuse it--then you might change to something bigger or smaller, brighter or darker, etc.

Choose a fly you have confidence in, then have fun fishing it.

Of course I've never landed one, so take that as you will.

Time to go find some salmon.

J
  4. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0

black or brown jimmy legs/pats stone/kaufmans stone with a bead or egg pattern 18" off your lead fly. 0X-2X leader and a fat bobber. Get it down and fish it in the trouty water. Thats what I always did as a kid before I went swing-only and you'll get your hands on chrome.
  5. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    I have heard nymphing can be a pretty good option.
  6. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    If I can catch them nymphing anyone can. Go to the dark side and get some chrome
  7. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +764 / 0

In my opinion nymphing well requires just as much skill as swinging well. I think a lot of the old guys don't like nymphing because it's a lot of work mending. Even as an able bodied younger guy, you'll get sore at the end of a full day if you're doing it right.

I've hooked an equal number nymphing and swinging. I prefer swinging about 80% more because of the excitement of feeling the grab rather than the whack a mole reaction of a bobber dropping. Once you have the fish on, let me tell you, you won't give a damn.
    Chawhee likes this.
  8. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +177 / 0
    Well said.
  9. Chawhee Active Member

Ratings: +66 / 0
    run a indicator-->tungsten beaded prince or larger hare's ear type nymph with a clinch knot to a bead with an improved clinch knot.
  10. Chawhee Active Member

11. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +764 / 0
    What's that damn indicator doing so close to the fly line? Give yourself at least 3-4 inches so when you mend you can pivot off the leading line and not yoke your flies.

Come on man... be scientifically precise here ;)
  12. Chawhee Active Member

That's the inter webs for you
  13. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,074 / 0
    It's been 3 days since a post here.

Bump
  14. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thats because everyone is out fishing for pinkz
    golfman44 likes this.
  15. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,074 / 0
    How's the back trolling off the toon working so far?
  16. Evan Virnoche Guest

I was out of town sailing the south gulf islands for 5 days. Never again will i sail the haro strait and outlyin islandz wothout my rood. Coho everywhere
  17. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    I have not been able to participate in all of your immature antics cause I am putting 110% of my energy to finding one of those job things.
  18. Evan Virnoche Guest

I thought you got a job like 4 weeks ago?
  19. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe

I did but its one of those shitty jobs that are a means to an end. I just got back into school going for my bachelors in environmental science and want a half decent job with stable hours while I am a full time student for the next four years. I already got one job offer for a god company but I am going to another interview literally right after I get done typing this. I guess you could say I am just trying to find a better outfit. The shit job that I am working right now is just simply not giving us enough.
    Zeb Stadler likes this.
  20. CLO Royal Wulff Pack

PT/EDMNDS/TWSP
    Ratings: +422 / 0
    You could always go into steelhead guiding for a career.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.