A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Okay clearly i am new to this. I appreciate everyone looking out for my best interest. Are you guys suggesting that i exchange this cabelas rod for the tfo pro II? If you strongly suggest it i will do it tomorrow. They have an eight weight and i liked it but i was swayed by the cheaper price the tfo is 159.00. Please let me know. I will gladly listen to you guys more than cabelas.

2. I asked guy at cabelas if they had t14 in stock. He replied whats thT

3. Danielocean

Oh for gods sakes im going back to cabelas.

4. Danielocean

As soon as they re-open tomorrow morning.

5. Danielocean

I know some of you guys are thinking. "buy what you really want and what feels good". The problem is I have no idea what is best for me as far as fly rods. I will definately listen to you guys than the cabelas guys. It is alot like the expereince I had when I went to best buy to buy hometheater equipment. I figured out that I had to either know all the info myself or have a trusted outside source to help me. This appears to be a similar situation. Laugh all you want guys. This is actually kinda fun. My wife is pissed though.

6. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

No one's laughing at you, we've all been down this road in some form or another ourselves.

7. Danielocean

Oh cool then I am not crazy. Honestly I am hoping I am not being annoying actually.

8. Danielocean

I assume the products and services you are describing is a fishing guide. But what products do you suggest that actually ups my game as you say?

9. Danielocean

One thing to note that I have learned from a rookies perspective is that feeling a rod there in the store does not tell you anything. I have found that a rod feels completely different once the reel and line are on. This brings another point also why benefits to go to a local fly shop who will let you actually cast before you buy.

10. Pacific fly fishers in Mill creek

11. Danielocean

Yes. I just recently introduced myself to Michael and is staff there. All are really great guys.

12. Danielocean

Okay I got the TFO Professional series II rod. I am done.

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Daniel.

Most fly fishermen are crazy, so don't worry. You're in good company altho your wife may disagree. I think the place you need to begin is with an 8 wt rod that you like to cast. If you don't know how to fly cast, then whatever 8 wt a casting instructor says isn't a POS will do fine for starters. I'm not familiar with your specific rod, but I can't imagine that the TFO Pro won't serve you well.

What I meant by products and services that will up your game is things like instead of buying a $400 rod, buy a $100 rod and $300 worth of casting lessons. Same cost, but the latter will put you many miles ahead. An expensive rod is a lousy investment for a person who can't cast worth shit. And good rods don't make newbs into good casters. Most any ole rod and instruction and practice to develop good technique is what makes a good caster.

Now that you've got a rod, you need a line. Unlike fly rods, the cheapest fly lines are unwise investments. The good news is that you don't need the most expensive line either. My rule of thumb is to avoid lines of lesser quality than SA Air Cell Supreme (which may be discontinued, so whatever replaced it) and Cortland 444 Peach floating lines are high quality, durable, have slick finishes that cast well.

The cheapest reel that I know of and will vouch as steelhead serviceable is the Pflueger Medalist. Size 1495 will hold 100 yd of 20# dacron backing and a WF8F line. I have 3 Pfluegers, but confess to not using them. I've spent untold dollars on reels that put a smile on my face, but they don't play and land steelhead any better.

When you get a reel, get a spare spool. You could buy a multi-tip fly line and have one reel with one spool, but life is more fun with a floating line that doesn't have the tip section looped on. The second spool should have a floating line, either cut and looped for multiple tip sections or make your own. DIY is what I've been doing for decades, so I don't own any store bought multi-tip lines except a Spey line I won in a raffle. I like an SA Air Cell Supreme cut back 15' from the tip and looped. There are numerous ways to do this. My way is simple and works well. Dip the line in acetone (nail polish remover) and strip about 2 1/2" of PVC finish off. Fry 1/2" of the nylon line core to separate the fibers. Wind and whip finish 1/2 to 5/8" with fly tying thread to form a loop. The wound part is stiff, and the loop is droopy and limp. Coat the whole shebang with Pliobond cement, let dry, then add a second coat. Now the loop is pliable but stiff enough to not hinge when casting. Make a floating tip with the section you cut off. Make, or just buy some 15' RIO sink tips in Type III, VI, and VIII. Add 4' of 10# Maxima leader material, knot a fly to the tippet, and you're set to fish.

Sg

wanative likes this.
  14. Danielocean

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that. I really appreciate it.

15. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

all the above is a great idea, but you might see if your local fly shop offers that service, watch closely and next time you can diy. likely they will do it for a minimal cost, especially if you boy a line and some tips there. tell them you are done with cabelas, and you will both be smiling.

16. Danielocean

Yeah I would say that I really am done with Cabelas. Honestly there selection is not very good over there. I asked about the RIO multi tip line set in 8 wt and he did not even know they existed. Just to get everyone else caught up I have all the other gear I need like line and a reel and stuff. NOW I do not know if the reel I have is "good" or not. It is about 3 years old and is an Okuma SLV. If you guys say not to run this reel then I wont.

17. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

what they lack in selection they more than make up for with ineptitude:eek:

triploidjunkie likes this.
  18. Danielocean

So will this Okuma SLV reel do the job?

19. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

The Okuma SLV is fine as long as it's large enough.

20. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

What kind of hat will you wear on the river?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.