Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A rookies log.

65K views 930 replies 65 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
So I think I have finally figured out that the reason I have not caught a Steelhead yet in the past 3 years I have been trying is due to my lack of commitment.
I am now going to log and document everything I learn here on this thread and maybe perhaps someone who needs help one day can look here. So here we go.

I live in Monroe. Therefore, my home water is the Sky. Today I decided to spend the day driving up and down between Monroe and Reiter to look for good access points and good runs to fish. When I finally got to the river here in Monroe I found that the river was REALLY high. So looking around for details in the water was right out the window. I still managed to look hard for obvious pull outs and stuff where I can park my car. Perhaps studying GPS would help in finding hidden access points too? I brought my 11 year old daughter along with me also because if I can not be a successful angler I may as well give this new generation a chance. Her and I went all the way up to Reiter and found some steelhead in the ladders. Her and I got so excited and pumped.
I have also started reading some steelhead books. The current book I am reading is called " A steelheader's way", by Lani Waller. This book is really amazing and is very well written, and am looking forward to my next book purchase.
Well there you go fellas. I am sorry if this is a boring thread but I think this would be a fun experience and I would also like to make some friends here. Putting myself out there I guess you could say.

See less See more
#127 ·
I assume your fly line has a loop at the end, yes?

1) Loop to loop your poly leader onto your fly line.
2) At the end of your poly leader, tie a double surgeons loop if there is not a loop already (or perfection loop, but surgeons are stronger)
3) Now you can just tie 4-6 or whatever feet of tippet material you want (in another loop to loop) to your poly leader and start fishing. Your poly leader will last a lot longer since you never have to cut it as you can just undo the loop to loop on your tippet material and throw on more tippet.

So to recap from reel to the tippet: Backing -- Fly Line -- Loop to loop -- PolyLeader -- Loop to loop -- tippet -- fly

If someone corrects me on this please listen to them since I am new to this too but I was just asking the same questions you were a month or so ago and this is what I came up with. My rig seems solid with this setup.

If you want to noob it up together on the sky someday let me know. Just finished my CFA exam so its time to fish.

#128 ·
I assume your fly line has a loop at the end, yes?

1) Loop to loop your poly leader onto your fly line.
2) At the end of your poly leader, tie a double surgeons loop if there is not a loop already (or perfection loop, but surgeons are stronger)
3) Now you can just tie 4-6 or whatever feet of tippet material you want (in another loop to loop) to your poly leader and start fishing. Your poly leader will last a lot longer since you never have to cut it as you can just undo the loop to loop on your tippet material and throw on more tippet.

So to recap from reel to the tippet: Backing -- Fly Line -- Loop to loop -- PolyLeader -- Loop to loop -- tippet -- fly

If someone corrects me on this please listen to them since I am new to this too but I was just asking the same questions you were a month or so ago and this is what I came up with. My rig seems solid with this setup.

If you want to noob it up together on the sky someday let me know. Just finished my CFA exam so its time to fish.
Sounds good. What is the cfa exam.

G
#129 ·

theres some info on the double haul, also the reds fly shop has a pretty good channel for beginner, and advanced tips for fly fishing.They talk about everthing from swing for steel, to nymph dropper, and dry tactics.

#130 ·
Daniel,

A 4' leader off your sink tip is just fine, at least until low super clear water happens later in the summer. The double or triple surgeon's loops I tie in leader material suck for strength, don't know why. So I put 1' of 12 or 15# Maxima on the end of my sink tip, then add 3' of 10# Maxima Ultra-green leader.

Sorry about having to cut up your $75 line. I avoid that problem by buying cheaper fly lines. SA Air Cell Supreme is only $30. You could buy a perfectly satisfactory line from Hook & Hackle or Allen Fishing for about that price and save your $75 line for strictly floating line applications if you haven't cut it already.

Sg

#131 ·
Okay so before I cut my GPX line I decided to take a trip over to Pacific FlyFishers in Millcreek, to pick there brain and pick up a few flies. I talked to Joe there about my line issue and he asked how much tippet I was putting on the front of my poly leader. After I told him that I had about 9 feet of tippet in front of the 9 foot poly leader, he seemed to be struggling not to laugh directly at me. LOL. So now I understand as per Joe's advice that the max amount of tippet I want in front of my poly leader is at most 2 feet. I just got done doing some practice casts and my original casting problem is all gone. We also went out back so he could see me cast and he said that I casted surprisingly well.

#137 ·
So another thing I would like to add to this log. So far I have been 110% dedicated to this wonderful art, and I wanted to let all of the other fellow newbies here, and potential newbies in the future. I have observed and found out that most of your fishing "career" if you will will consist 98% to preparation. I am spending every bit of my free time to studying, studying, studying. I have also simply just sat at some rivers already and just "watched" just simply watched. Take everything in you can. A lot of the wonderful things that you can receive through research are actually from your many fellow anglers on this very forum. Thank you to all now and ahead of time for your help and future help for others. I hope to one day be the one helping.

#138 ·
Based on lurking here, you really need to focus on 3 things:

1) Take casting lessons
2) Take casting lessons
3) Buy items from a reputable fly shop

For 1 and 2, look on this site for folks up north. Contrary to popular belief Aaron Reimer and Mike Kinney can teach both single handed and double handed rods. Spend the money on at least 3 lessons and practice what they tell you.

As for the reputable shop, go in with a budget. If you constrain what you can spend, they will always find the highest quality product that fits the price. Also the local shops will let you cast the item, and in some cases demo the product for a day or two. Build a relationship with these guys, and really take notice that pricing between shops is *rarely* different, and if they are only within a few dollars.

As for Salmo, I love his attitude with cutting and slicing and dicing, but honestly, doing this is probably not in the best interest of a newbie. Once again, go to a shop, set your budget and work with them. At *worst* case,, if you can only afford a non-multitip line, you can purchase a line from them, and most shops will do a cut and welded loop for you.

As for fishing and catching steelhead, you'll need to hook up with a mentor. This could be a couple of trips with a guide or it could be an experienced steelheader. At worst case, take a trip with a successful gear fishermen. Often times the place where they catch fish will actually be fishable by the fly fishermen. Avoid large long bars like the plague. While they fish nice, it's often more productive to pick your nose and drink beers. There are exceptions, but those are typically hatchery blood holes.

#140 ·
Hit the N. Fork Stilly today. Very bright and clear conditions and running around 1500 cfs last I checked. Did not catch anything but had a great time, and learned a ton. I fished the deepest pools I could find since it was so clear and bright out. I am curious if anyone else had luck with today's weather. Also got a chance to break in my new MSR pocket rocket, and GSI ketalist cook set today.

#143 ·
Daniel,

I've had a Pocket Rocket for nearly 10 years. I forgot to break it in before using it. Didn't seem to hurt it. My daughter asked for one of those cook kits too, so I got her one. I was kinda' disappointed in that they're excessive for a true weight weenie backpacker.

BTW, sore shoulder is indicative of poor casting form. Even old farts like me with elbow and shoulder ailments can cast from can't see in the morning til can't see at night without the joints acting up. Therefore I again recommend that you work on your casting technique.

Not sure about the blisters tho. You ever use your hands for anything?

Sg

#144 ·
Daniel,

I've had a Pocket Rocket for nearly 10 years. I forgot to break it in before using it. Didn't seem to hurt it. My daughter asked for one of those cook kits too, so I got her one. I was kinda' disappointed in that they're excessive for a true weight weenie backpacker.

BTW, sore shoulder is indicative of poor casting form. Even old farts like me with elbow and shoulder ailments can cast from can't see in the morning til can't see at night without the joints acting up. Therefore I again recommend that you work on your casting technique.

Not sure about the blisters tho. You ever use your hands for anything?

Sg
Salmo,

Dang man I am dissapointed in you. I figured you of all people would make a joke about the blisters. Actually false alarm. I thought they were blisters but a spot on my thumb was just a little agitated. Still sore arm though. As soon as I am working again I am going to go get casting lessons from Pacific Fly fishers most likely. Just came from there and Michael and the guys hooked me up to start tying flies. Bought the cheap AA vice, tools, and material to start learning to tie a freight train. And to answer your question yes I use my hands for alot of stuff. I am a mechanic.

#145 ·
Daniel,

It was with great restraint that I didn't make a joke about your blisters. But I want to protect my reputation for always making my posts in good taste.

If you prowl around a bit, you can probably get a casting lesson or two for free, so don't fail to investigate that possibility.

Fly tying is a good addiction too. It's kept me from countless nights in bars and made me a better husband and father, with the side benefit that my small children and the cat learned not to put stray hooks into their mouths. I'm not sure what the cheap AA vice is - is it an addiction to cheap drugs or booze? -, but my ex gave me a Thompson A vise in 1974, and I'm still tying on it even tho I was given a Regal a few years ago by a co-worker who moved away.

Sg

#146 ·
Salmo,

You are not going to offend me good sir. I have pretty thick skin and can take it when people fuck with me. I have my vice and stuff right in front of me and watching how to tie this freight train fly. Looks pretty simple. Honestly fly tying is something I wanted to do for years. I found myself in the fly shop again today with thirty bucks worth of flies in my hand. I looked down at how many flies I had in my hand and said " that's it?". I finally just decided to make the initial investment in the basic stuff and will tie my own stuff from now on. It will also keep me from letting the t.v melt my brain.

#149 ·
Daniel,

I'm sure I have vices as well, but I think you're talking about vises when referring to the device that holds hooks for fly tying, or that bolt to your workbench for that matter. Yeah, I took up fly tying to save money too. Sometimes that notion seems questionable; however I think it actually has worked out in my favor, just not to the degree I originally estimated.

Like Cuponoodle mentioned, a lot of new casters think they need to make 37 false casts for each cast delivered to the lawn or water. That is one way to wear out the arm prematurely, plus all the time that line is in the air, the fly is not fishing, except for bats around dusk.

Sg

G
#152 ·
that's about the only thing I have left to relearn.

I took a class back 10 years ago with dry flies and nymphs, and let me tell u at 16 it was the most boring thing ever as I was more concentrated on bong rips and chasing tang.

I keep telling myself im going to start tying steel flies, but for some reason never get around to it. I have everything I neeed too:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.