Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A rookies log.

65K views 930 replies 65 participants last post by  Mumbles 
#1 ·
So I think I have finally figured out that the reason I have not caught a Steelhead yet in the past 3 years I have been trying is due to my lack of commitment.
I am now going to log and document everything I learn here on this thread and maybe perhaps someone who needs help one day can look here. So here we go.

I live in Monroe. Therefore, my home water is the Sky. Today I decided to spend the day driving up and down between Monroe and Reiter to look for good access points and good runs to fish. When I finally got to the river here in Monroe I found that the river was REALLY high. So looking around for details in the water was right out the window. I still managed to look hard for obvious pull outs and stuff where I can park my car. Perhaps studying GPS would help in finding hidden access points too? I brought my 11 year old daughter along with me also because if I can not be a successful angler I may as well give this new generation a chance. Her and I went all the way up to Reiter and found some steelhead in the ladders. Her and I got so excited and pumped.
I have also started reading some steelhead books. The current book I am reading is called " A steelheader's way", by Lani Waller. This book is really amazing and is very well written, and am looking forward to my next book purchase.
Well there you go fellas. I am sorry if this is a boring thread but I think this would be a fun experience and I would also like to make some friends here. Putting myself out there I guess you could say.

See less See more
#153 ·
Hit the Stilly again today. Did not catch anything. Could not help but feel a surge of discouragement today but I know that is the name of the game. Its almost like there are no fish in the river or something. Fished around deer creek today with no avail. Yes I am bitching. I am ordering a pizza, and drinking some beer to ease the pain.

#154 ·
Another thing that frustrated me today was the fact that every single fly I have purchased from Pacific Fly Fishers has completely fallen apart. I know I am not doing anything wrong so it is not my fault. I think I am going to talk to them next time and let them know they need to re evaluate the quality of the flies they receive from there vendor. Damn waste of money.

#162 ·
Yeah, I'm leaning in SG's direction on this. I get most all my steelhead flies from Pacific Fly Fishers and have no issues with them. Most of the time I lose them before they fall apart on me. Some of the flies in my box have been fished for over a year with no issues; granted not every fly in my box gets fished each time I go out. I'm thinking there's something else going on and it's not a quality control issue at PFF.

#159 ·
Daniel,

A good angler I know has fished the NF Stilly 5 times since the opener with no success yet. Last year he'd caught 4 by this time. It varies from year to year.

Sorry about your flies falling apart. Could be a quality issue, but are you positive that your casting technique is not a contributing factor? We learned some posts ago that you've got some issues there. I would expect even cheap flies, particularly ones from a shop, to last through a few days of fishing.

Sg

#161 ·
Daniel,

A good angler I know has fished the NF Stilly 5 times since the opener with no success yet. Last year he'd caught 4 by this time. It varies from year to year.

Sorry about your flies falling apart. Could be a quality issue, but are you positive that your casting technique is not a contributing factor? We learned some posts ago that you've got some issues there. I would expect even cheap flies, particularly ones from a shop, to last through a few days of fishing.

Sg
I am positive I am doing nothing wrong. I really spent a lot of time working out the kinks in my casting technique and I think I am good to go now.

#163 ·
I'll throw in a couple thoughts.

Regarding flies--you'd be surprised at the myriad ways one is able to fuck up flies without even realizing it. It might be some little thing going on that you aren't even noticing. A common problem I have is fishing too deep, then getting flies hung up in rocks, and then as I'm trying to pull them free I lose the hackle or the wing as it gets cinched between rocks. So I guess I'm saying, it might not only be casting issues. Could be an issue with the way you are fishing them. I've never been to PFF, but I would guess a lot of people on here would stand by their products. And I would guess that if you went in and talked to them they would probably take care of you either way.

Regarding not catching fish--I didn't even expect to catch a fish during my first season of steelheading. I managed to hook and lose one, and I was overjoyed. If you're getting down on yourself for not catching a fish after your first few attempts, then you are in for a long, hard road filled with disappointment.

I've been at it a few seasons now, and have yet to land a fish. But the few I've hooked have made it all worth the trouble.

Jason

#164 ·
I'll throw in a couple thoughts.

Regarding not catching fish--I didn't even expect to catch a fish during my first season of steelheading. I managed to hook and lose one, and I was overjoyed. If you're getting down on yourself for not catching a fish after your first few attempts, then you are in for a long, hard road filled with disappointment.

I've been at it a few seasons now, and have yet to land a fish. But the few I've hooked have made it all worth the trouble.

Jason
This is my first season targeting these bad-boys, and that's how I'm looking at it too. This will be my year to learn how to read steelhead water, find good runs, tie some baller new flies, and just enjoy new areas. If I happen to hook some steel, bricks will be shat and the whole season will be a win. Even if you don't catch one this year, just think of all the knowledge you've already gained. Barring severe head trauma or prolonged binge-drinking sessions, all that information will help you become increasingly successful down the road.

#165 ·
Keep an eye on your back cast to see if you touch down on the rocks behind you. I have been know to ruin a lot of steelhead flies that way, and have been casting a fly rod for over 15 years.

Keep at it. Once you figure it out, your flies will be ruined by fish and not their surroundings.

Thanks for the entertaining thread!

#166 ·
Maybe you guys are right. I will have to pay attention to my back cast more next time. I learned not to fish too deep my first trip of the season and that fixed snapping the flies on the rocks. However, now that I really think about it hard I can remember I was snapping my flies on top of the water every now and then. Perhaps that is what is causing it.

#174 ·
That is the general trend. However many steelhead (especially bucks) enter the rivers already colored up. Also many steelhead (especially hens) will keep their silvery color for months after entering fresh water. Another point, even a fish that was highly colored may return to a silvery color after spawning - though it will be considerably more drab than a fresh run silvery fish.
Another question that will benefit future noobs. How can you tell the difference between a Male, and Female steelhead?
In addition to the characteristics pointed out above - Males will have a head that tapers to a pointed snout and will sometimes have at least a slight hook to their jaw. Females have very little taper to their head which ends in a fairly blunt rounded snout.

#179 ·
There are lots of Steelhead, Salmon in OR, WA and Alaska, No need to go to Canada. I am starting out too and what I think I will do is go with a guide for a day here on the Sky, learn technic, holes good access locations etc. For the money it cost I am sure I'll learn years worth in an 8 hour day. I have been other guided trips on the Yakima in the Florida Keys and asside from catch fish you lean a wealth of info. I spent years trying to catch a Tarpon on my own with no luck, they took one guided trip and landed a Tarpon within 2 hours and learned how to do it for the future. The cost was well worth what you learn.

#182 ·
Y'er sick Daniel. Take some medicine. Didn't you say you're out of work? Unless you're independently wealthy, that's not a good time to be a gear whore. Learn to cast and fish what you've got. Experience and skill will help you make better informed choices when you choose your next fly rod.

#185 ·
Alright alright, you guys are right. I am sure I still suck at casting. Sorry if I came off like an ego prick. I guess I am just trying not to think too much about it. Last time I went out I did not think about anything and felt I casted better, and enjoyed myself better when I just was not thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.