A rookies log.

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Danielocean, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

So here is the deal. I need to know if my Okuma SLV reel is going to be reliable WHEN I finally hook one this year. I am at the point that I am so determined to hook a steelhead this year. I had a horrible dream that I finally hooked a big steelhead and my reel started smoking and gave in, and lost the fish. LOL So if you guys think I should ditch the Okuma I will because if the Okuma does not have a good reputation for being reliable then I need to get another reel. If you guys do think I need another reel can you help me keep in around 150 bucks or less?

2. Danielocean

I have also decided that all of you guys who are helping me I would like to buy you all a beer sometime. Maybe two. Or, a wine cooler if thats your thing.

3. Redingtoon surge I swear by it for the price

4. Danielocean

Really? A reel that cheap will have that much of a reliable drag?

5. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I'm pretty sure you can get those online and save your gas for a fishing trip.

flyfool likes this.
  6. At this point the gear (rod/reel/flies) you have will catch (and land) a steelhead. You can continue to change up the components if it makes you happy but it's not going to put you on a fish any sooner. If you want to shorten the curve stop spending money on new gear and save it for a trip with a knowledgeable guide or try to make friends with a successful steelheader.

plaegreid likes this.
  7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

X2

8. Danielocean

Eh she already told me she will kill me before she divorces me. Guess she can't live without the big D

9. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Better fish each trip like it's your last...:)

flyfool and constructeur like this.
  10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Daniel,

Thanks for the beer offer. That's forthright and good. But please understand and make note in your logbook that wine coolers are illegal among steelheaders.

As for your Okuma, if the spool spins round 'n round without falling off, and the handle doesn't break off, it's good enough to land a steelhead on. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but steelhead are way fuckin' over-rated. They are not dorado, roosterfish, or marlin. Maybe a little bit like baby tarpon, but only on a good day. When I was an impoverished college student I bought fly reels at Goodwill for $3 apiece. And they landed steelhead. Even when the pawl eroded into metal shavings and the spool handle broke off, I still landed that hot summer run, along with a memory I will never forget. That wouldn't have happened with a $15 Pflueger Medalist.

On the marriage advice front, fishing isn't the cause of divorce. Needy wives who want their husband to hang with them 24/7/365 are one cause. If your wife is, you might as well dump her now and get it over with because no human should have to life a suffocating life. Another major cause often blamed on fishing is lazy husbands who can't or won't live up to their slightly more than 50% of the marriage bargain even while taking the time necessary for fishing to be a major part of your life. If that is you, your wife will dump you sooner or later. That can be avoided by making the time you are together so satisfying and rewarding that she agrees that fishing helps define who you are. Just understand that fishing, in and of itself, does not cause divorce. Put this in your logbook too.

Sg

11. Danielocean

LOL My wife is actually very supportive, and will be by my side this year trying to catch those damn fish. Just figured I would make a few laugh with some wife jokes.

12. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Daniel, if you're gonna fish summer run steelhead you might not even need waders...unless you get cold quickly. This has been a very enjoyable thread.

13. Danielocean

I am happy that everyone including myselfbis enjoying. Anyone ever willing to take me under there wing would be great.

14. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

If you ever visit the Klick I'll show you what I can.

15. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

People have been catching steelhead for decades on gear that's way less sophisticated than what's available today. Get a rod. Get a reel. Get a line. Go out and learn where steelhead hold. The greatest rod and reel won't catch shit if you can't read water. You can take to the water with thousands of dollars worth of gear, but you'll just be a poser if you don't know where or how to fish it.

plaegreid likes this.
  16. Danielocean

Happy Sunday everyone. Well this is my personal log so I will make a quick log.

I was laying down last night, and thinking about fishing. Thinking about what else I need to have as far as gear, thinking about the river in my head, and wondering where is a good place to take my family that will have some good holding water.
    It then hit me. I said to myself what are you doing. I began to think about all my years as a little boy in Lynden Washington where over the course of 10 years I had fished the Fish Trap creek with my friends, hunting cutthroat trout, and once catching what appeared to be a very tired pink salmon. I thought about it. Do I already have all of the skills necessary to catch fish? I must have caught hundreds of fish in that small town creek. I learned where those little fish hold. Also found some great swimming holes where we tried to talk the girls into skinny dipping with us but I suppose the cold water affect turned them off in more ways than one.
    I am a rookie most definately. However, in some philosophical way, will we all always be rookies of the hunt? I think at the end of it in my personal experience with trying to transfer from a gear angler to a Fly angler is that I and a lot of other newbies have a bad habit of over complicating the whole thing.
    In the end I have come to the conclusion that the minds inside those little trout that I would catch are not much different than the trout in big rivers. So now I tell myself, just get out there and fish the water like you already know how.

17. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

yes, and many steelheaders couldnt live without the deschutes either

18. Danielocean

Wow dude nice one. Took you a long time to come up with that though. LOL Dang I am so excited for June 1st.

19. Already started tying leaders and egg patterns ready strip and rip floatimg saturday bright and early

20. Danielocean

I am kinda afraid to go out opening day. I fear the river will be so crowded I will have to take a number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.