a survey about your favorite rod

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by C&CRods, May 13, 2013.

1. C&CRods Member

seattle
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    A little survey by C & C Rods for ya.

1.What is your favorite rod to fish that you currently own? Weight, length and any other specs that you love about it.

2. If you could add any rod right now to your quiver, what would it be? Once again- weight, length, and any other specs that you love on a rod.

Interested to see every ones responses!
  2. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    I hesitate to answer because I'll no doubt come off as a smart ass, which I guess I am. Of the maybe 20 rods I own (a modest collection by many standards), several are my favorites. I have a favorite single hand SH rod, all around trout rod, a couple favorite small stream trout rods, a favorite SRC rod, and a favorite travel rod (Hawaii primarily). All of these have different characteristics which I have come to appreciate, for their given task. I won't bother listing them because: A) Just because they are my favorites, doesn't mean squat, and B) Trying to pick your favorite child is tough (unless you're my parents).
    As for 2., someday I'd like to pick up a really special trout rod in bamboo. I am in no hurry though because I fear I'd be selling a lot of rods, only to buy a couple more.

Good luck though.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. C&CRods Member

seattle
    If you had to add a new rod to your large assortment today... what would it be David? And no you don't sound like a smartass. It is hard to pick once you have accumulated so many. In everyone's collection I would assume there is that ONE though that when you get the chance to use it, it reminds you why its your favorite. No wrong answers here.
  4. Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Helena, Montana
    Ratings: +590 / 0
    The two I use the most are

Sage 696 XP
    and
    7'6" 3 Wt Sweetgrass boo

I don't have any rods on my wish list right now.

Trapper
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    McVey bamboo, 8' 5 wt. Not too fast, not too slow, just a great all around trout rod.

A rod I've been thinking about is a Sweetgrass, 9' 7 wt. It just feels right.

Sg
  6. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +763 / 2
    My next rod is a Tom Morgan 7'6" 5wt fiberglass rod. In case you don't know, Tom was an owner of Winston for many years and is a legendary rod designer. He's got a new series of glass rods out that are getting rave reviews.

After that, I may replace my current 9'0" 8wt with a Sage One in that configuration.
  7. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    some of my favorites are A 356 LL for crab creek, 376 LL for nema river, 476 LL naselle river (searuns), 486 LL for toon lake fishing, winston tmf 5wt for big bug hatches hatch's, 6 wt spl for streamers, 6wt sp for summer run steel. 8wt ds2 for the salmon. This is start, I could go on and on. I am a gear hoar. Don't get me started on boo, If I had to get a rod It would be definitely be a boo.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    Not another thread about fly rods. Didn't you all get enough from the other threads.
    Jack Devlin likes this.
  9. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    7'6" 2wt Redington Classic Trout. I think it's the best in the CT line up. It's medium action but a little heavier than some 2wts. This add some versatility for slightly heavier flies. I use a 3wt line with it and it almost casts itself. It was the best bargain out there at $150. It's only one of my five rods that I wouldn't consider selling for something different.
  10. C&CRods Member

seattle
    Sorry Old Man, I'm newer to this forum and didn't realize it was such a popular subject. Just doing this poll for my own research . Great to hear everyone in put. Thanks!
  11. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    Don't mind OMJ he is grouchy about everything.
    Alex MacDonald and Ed Call like this.
  12. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +319 / 2
    OK, Top 3 trout rods (currently):
    All Around is a Winston 586-3 WT, an earlier Tom Morgan creation.
    Small Stream is a 7'6" 4wt Steffen (glass). Haven't fished this rod much yet but it has great promise.
    SRC and streamers is a 697 XP. Here's the beef! This rod is in my truck nearly always.
  13. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    9' Sage rplxi 9wt

9' Sage one 7 wt

quality fast action rods with a good warranty from a local business.
  14. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    I will give you the three I use most, not sure if I could really pick one favorite rod.
    Small stream is a Sage 8' 9" 3wt LL
    All round stream is a Sage 9' 4wt ZXL
    Larger streams / lakes is a Sage 9' 6" 6wt SP
  15. kmac Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    So, I'm thinking if I lost everything and could only have one rod, which one would it be. While I don't spend big bucks on rods, I try to get the best bang for my buck. I've gone through several 5 wts and really like my Ross FC 5wt 9' rod. It's a great all around rod and in a pinch I would certainly use it in situations where I would normally use a larger or smaller rod. It loads great and can really power out a 6 wt line for long casts with ease (it handled a 22" hard fighting rainbow I recently landed on the Yak), but is light and sensitive enough to use for smaller fish too. Having said all, that my favorite trout rod is actually my Redington CT 4wt 8'6".
  16. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    Past couple weeks it's been my Sage ONE 596-4.

Next few months it'll be my Shimano Convergence Model CVC-L 106M-2 10'6" 12-20lb matched with either a Shimano Moocher Plus or possibly an Islander MR 2.
  17. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +681 / 0
    What do you expect,this is a fly fishing forum. But I will admit with all the Wolf threads its hard to tell that sometimes
  18. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Favorite - Sage 490-4 RPL...the first premium rod I bought years ago and still catches lots of fish today
    Want - Sage 697-4 One...what can I say. I've got a fixation about 6 wts, which I consider to be a super versatile rod weight. I own five 6 wts now, so owning one more can't be a bad thing. ;)
  19. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    Are there a lot of grumpy people in Montana?:)
  20. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Small rivers like the Skagit in BC-LL 389, all around trout rod on most rivers Sage XP 590, salt water in the tropics, Sage Xi2. Haven't fished it much yet but I really like my new Echo 10'8" 5 wt switch. I fished my new Echo TR 13" 7 wt spey rod a lot this winter and it is a bomb also. The last switch rod was the only rod on my wish list, so right now I can't think of another I would buy. Rick