Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

a wonderful, horrible day on the snohomish

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Backyard 
#1 ·
what do i know, im just a rabid apache

this morning i strayed from the saltwater and took a little drive on lowell river road. i pulled off at about every little nook and cranny and investigated the scene. it was dark still so my investigating was not so sherlock and more oldman. i think i even sat down once. at one little turn off there were pinks everywhere, jumping and flying about, giving me the webby little finger. no room for a backcast so i picked up the spinning rod. bam fish on! i fished all morning in that little spot. i hooked up about 10 times and brought about half to hand. i kept 3 bright little ones for the barbecue and was feeling pretty good as i stumbled up the rock bank.

so i get to my car and pop the trunk. wow, that trunk looks empty. didnt i have something there? oh yes. my duffle bag loaded down with my chest waders, my boots, a rain jacket, some garbage bags, and a sweatshirt. and next to that, an emergency jumpstart. both items missing. i believe i said a few things and kicked at some mud. but it was my fault. i left it unlocked. what a world we live in.:reallymad :reallymad :beathead :reallymad :reallymad

but, my fly rod was untouched, leaning against the front seat.:7 but still....:reallymad :reallymad

~sean~

See less See more
#3 ·
Why can't people just leave your stuff alone? I used to bring my nice Nikon SLR whenever I went fishing to take photos of scenic settings and wildlife (not fish though, I was afraid if I fell in I would ruin it), but I don't bring it along anymore because I am afraid to leave it in my car while I am fishing. I really think that they need to do away with car alarms and replace them with an electrified anti-theft system that is strong enough to render someone unconscious.

#6 ·
Dude, that sucks! Man that crap has been happening lots lately! I think the cops need to set up some sting operations... get a nice SUV with some nice gear inside and stick it at a trailhead or at a pulloff on the river... maybe set up some cameras if need be, and let the games begin!! I mean, they do it with fake deer, so why not?? :dunno

Anyways, sorry about that...

#9 ·
Catch 22 (or 45) hahaha

Im there!!! :thumb :thumb On the contrary, you know the way the law and judicial system works is like this: If you catch these bastards and punish them, you will get busted and they will be off scott-free. Point in case.

When you think about it, the police have all the time in the world to organize speed traps and give speeding tickets daily, yet they dont seem to have the time or the staff to setup stings to catch people doing the real harm, even at places they know this happens frequently. This is, of course, just what I see as a citizen :dunno and dont know for sure but when the underwear fits... :professor

Sorry about the loss bud. Did insurance help at all??

~Patrick ><>

#10 ·
Sorry to hear that you were a victim. There have been a number of folks on this site who have had their stuff stolen. At some point, our number will come up and it will be us making the next post! It would be nice if there was something that we could do to stop this sort of thing, whether it be increased license fees or maybe even pay parking so that somebody could watch the vehicles.

G
#11 ·
Yes, what a shame when Low Life preys upon good, honest People.

I would be willing to be part of or help organize a "sting" operation of our own. We could organize rotating, 1 hour long watches at a hot spot (like Lenice/Nunnally area) and, with video or a camera, catch the bastards red-handed.

Local Law Enforcment (a misnomer in some cases) could advise us on the extent of force we could use to detain individuals. There is a concept of "citizen arrest" that is recognized in someplaces and you may be allowed to detain individuals in some situations. Of course, if they run and "trip" while fleeing, that would probably result in some sort of well deserved injury. Too bad for them huh?

I realize the scum that does this is scattered far and wide, but we may get the word out, in some areas, not to mess with Outdoorsmen or their property!
I can be reached through this post (I believe) and I offer my time to participate in some sort of sting.

Good luck to all
Smooth

#12 ·

fished again this morning. if you have a small boat and want to hook up with some pinks, get your arse on the snohomish. my god the fish have arrived. i would launch at the launch right at the park (rotary i believe) and hang a right (upstream) and go around the corner past the mouth of the slough. there were fish stacked up there alllll day long. or you could go left (back towards the salt) as they were going nuts right there near the i-5 bridge. anchor up within a long cast of shore and fire away. most hit within 10-15 feet of shore and a couple feet off bottom. they are still slaying them in the salt so i am pumped to see them all enter the snohomish. tally for today: 7 fish on, 5 landed, 3 brought home. not bad for 3 hours of fishing......and it will only improve as its only august!

~sean~

#14 ·
Great idea, however, you would then get sued because "low life M>>>>>F>>>>>" hit his head on a rock...and looses his vision temporary after he wakes from his unconscious state and wanders out in the road where...he gits hit by another "anxious as hell fly fisherman/woman"...turns out that this person is your friend who then is also sued. So in the end you are sent to prison and have one less friend...all for "pre-meditated electrification"

But what the hell that is a matter for Jonny Cockrin (sp)

Sorry for your loss, I parted with a very nice browning 12 guage this way once checking out a place to hunt.:dunno

#15 ·

going back and forth, depending on the spot. it sucks because on high tides there is no room for a backcast. i have found a couple spots where i can fly fish once the tide goes out but i can only cast at an angle up or downstream (usually i cast downstream) or i will be picking my flies out of the bushes. if you have a boat you wouldnt have that problem.

i fished again this morning near the bridge right in snohomish. i fly fished at the boat launch until too many boats started showing up. i had one fish on for about 10 seconds on a pink/white clouser. i moved to a different spot closer to the bridge and pulled out my spinning rod and hooked 3, landed 2. all in about an hour and a half. im waiting for the sky to open so i can store the spinning rod for a while. i have to admit though, humpies on light action rods and 4lb line is killer!

~sean~

#17 ·
Pink release rules?

For the Snohomish (sp?) is states to release all chinook. Limit of 4 no more than 2 may be either coho or chum. Therefore, I am under the assumption that you may keep 4 pinks, but...in most cases it is a possession of 2 only (general rules for food fish).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.