Advice needed for a Clear floating flyline

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by onefish, Sep 27, 2013.

1. onefish

onefish New Member

I prefer to use a floating line and am looking for a full clear floater or clear tip floater for coho here on Vancouver Island, so no tropical lines and no added tips. Does anyone have any suggestions . Thanks

2. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Years back I had a Cortland 555 clear floater in 5 wt for lakes. It wasn't too bad, but had a lot of memory....more than me!

3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

how heavy a line do you need? if a 6 wt will work, try the airflo ridge clear tactical line. higher you could get the airflo clear delta floater.

an integrated line like an outbound short with a clear floating tip (or full 30' clear) is my dream coho line. monic's all weather clear floater might be close but i have not cast one.

4. onefish

onefish New Member

I should have added I am looking for an 8wt line. Unfortunately the airflo lines are 6wt or less.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Monic make an all weather clear floater in an 8 wt.
    Never used one so I can't vouch for the product.

6. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

the airflo clear delta floater goes up to an 8wt, but i don't know about the taper for poppers and heavy flies.

7. Cannon

Cannon Member

I have used the Monic All Weather Clear Floater in 8wt. for Pacific Salmon along the beach and in estuaries and the 5wt. for Cutties off the beach. Very good lines. I just recently p/u the Airflo Ridge Clear Tactical floater in the 5wt. and I like better it than the Monic. That being said, the Monic lines are very good. I tried the Cortland 555 Clear floater when it was introduced and it was a disaster. I throw a #4 Muddler and Miyawaki Beach Popper on my 5wt. with the Airflo line. Not too much a problem. Just have to open up the loop.

The Ridge Clear Delta goes up to a 8/9 wt. as the Monic goes up to a 10wt.

http://www.airflofishing.com/airflo-fly-lines-freshwater-stillwater-ridge-clear-delta.cfm

8. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I have the Clear Delta 8/9 slow sink for my 8wt 9ft rod and it casts pretty nicely, even with large flies. It has a fairly long taper, so it mends and handles well on rivers. Not so ideal for punching the wind on beaches.

9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Rio Outbound Short Floating with a 10' clear floating tip. Carry other sink rated tips in your vest. One or two false casts to line it up, and shoot.