Alaska silvers...how to catch??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Coy, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Coy

Coy New Member

Gals & Guys
    I'm headed, with 4 other, to the Wrangell, AK area in late July to do a little silver fishing! This will be a first....first to fly fish for salmon and in salt water. Any helpful hints on gear, flies, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
  3. Coy

Coy New Member

Thanks! After reading the article it sounds almost like the steelhead fishing I did 25 years ago, we used GP's and skunks back then but swung them across the river. Not sure how much is going to be in salt and how much is going to be on rivers.

4. ribka

ribka Active Member

I had great luck with purple string leeches for silvers and kings using a teeny 400 line

5. run26miles

run26miles Member

Silvers...you are going to have a great time. I have fished the past few years on a few rivers on Kodiak Island. The key for me is to make sure my fly is getting down to the fish. Sounds obvious, but my first year wasn't so good for this reason. Now I fish a floating line, but use a fast sinking leader, and I tie quite a bit of weight into the flies. Like ribka, I like string leeches in purple or pink, or a combination of the two colors, and I've also done well with chartreuse. A little silver or gold flash on the tail seems to attract a lot more fish. I have also done well with a fly called a popsicle that I picked up from a fly shop. Good luck!

6. Coy

Coy New Member

Thanks..All
    Do you fish for Kings the same way, same places, same flies?