Allen vs. Lamson

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dipnet, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

So I've got a new 8 wt. TFO BVK on the way.

Purchased this rod primarily for coho fishing here on the Kitsap Peninsula this summer but am also gonna take it to Oahu and Kauai in September for some flats/reef fishing and trying to catch bones or trevally and/or all those colorful reef fish that have local names like "ooo-eee-aa-ee-you" and "paka-neee-naa-oo!". ;)

Got the rod with a Rio Outbound Short on a BOGTL deal (buy one, get the line) but I'm a little torn about what reel to hang on it.

I already have a Konic II on my 6 wt. and really like it.

I'm intrigued by the Allen reels, though.

They're really pretty (shoot, now I sound like my wife when she's looking at shoes!!! :confused:) and I've seen some great reviews here on WFF and elsewhere. The Allen is a little bit heavier than the Konic, though. The Allen Alpha III is 7.6 oz. and the Konic 3.5 is 6.1 oz.

I know I should just take the rod into a good shop and mount both reels if I could, but barring that, I'd appreciate opinions from all you opinionated guys!

TIA!

2. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    I have that same line (outbound short) on a Konic II 3.5 and really like it so far on my 8 wt. Granted I'm new to fly fishing so I haven't tried nearly enough lines/reels to truly judge their quality, but for what its worth I like my setup.

3. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Buy allen, they stand behind their products.Lamson will only back up their lifetime warrantys for a few years. Then they will offer you a B.S. trade in deal for their new reel but will not fix your old one , or maybe its just the LP series reels they woudn't honor the lifetime warrantys ..

constructeur likes this.
  4. Dipnet

Here's what the their site says:

The Waterworks-Lamson warranty

Our warranty is valid for the lifetime of the original purchaser of this reel against any defect in material or workmanship. This warranty applies to parts and labor, and does not cover damage due to misuse, improper maintenance or modification. This warranty is limited to repair or replacement at our option. We will fix and ship your reel promptly so that you may enjoy fishing with your Waterworks-Lamson reel.
    *Note: Repair parts or color may not match the original reel.
    If you need to return a reel for repair please refer to the instructions and return form below. Please print and fill out the following form. To insure proper return of your reel please print clearly on the form. If you need parts or have any other questions, for fastest service please send your requests or questions to warranty@waterworks-lamson.com You may also contact us at 1-888-562-1310 or 208-562-1310

On the return form also this:

To cover the cost of shipping and handling, please include a check for $20 or a credit card number

with expiration date to cover the cost of return shipping, parts, & handling.
    I can understand the shipping and handling costs.

So how do you claim it's really not a lifetime warranty? :confused:

5. Dipnet

6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Allen reels FTW. Nice people, good products.

Nothing wrong with Lamson generally though.

7. Dipnet

Which reel you fishing, Josh?

8. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    I have four Allen reels. I will buy more. Good shit, from good people.

9. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I'm am a hands down lamson fanatic. You won't find better. Got my velocity back from warranty in 6 days. Only issue I've ever had was the clicker arm and I own 6 lamson reels. I like Allen as well owned several products from them. My favorite being thier rod and reel luggage bag. Also if you aren't getting your hooks and beads from them you are insane!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Gary Knowels and Blake Harmon like this.
  10. bennysbuddy

When you sell something with a lifetime warranty you fix the reel , not this we'll give you a 50.00 credit torwards our new reel that looks like it belongs on a pimpmobile b.s. SO INSHORT THEIR WARRANTY IS WORTHLESS..

11. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

A short testimonial for Allen reels. A friend and I were in the Narrows, fishing for Ling Cod over the weekend. He got hooked up on the bottom and handed me the rod while he drove his boat up current to see if we could un-snag the line. To make a long story short, I had the rod bent in half when the line went under the boat and it was all I could do to break the line - 30 lb. backing - after two or three minutes of heavy pressure. The drag didn't budge a bit. Pretty solid in my book, not that you would need something like that for sea runs.

12. I wish allen made some bigger reals

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

I don't know about the 50.00 credit ordeal, but many companies including G.Loomis offer same type of warranty. Styles, technology, tooling, etc. change and a reel you bought 20 years ago is most likely not being manufactured any longer, nor are the parts, etc. When inventory of parts runs out then they switch over to replacement model. Lamson is not the only reel company of being guilty trying to outfit a pimpmobile, I too don't care for the looks of some of their newer reels, but when you buy with a lifetime/replacement warranty that cleary states what the policy is you are at the mercy of many variables. Including potential new owners that can drastically bring change, new research/design teams that were in elementary school when you first casted your fly rod, loss of materials...creation of new, better, cheaper materials :confused:...or move production overseas. At least Lamson/Waterworks is still around and still a viable player in the game. How would you like to have one of the nice older Powell fly rods with a lifetime warranty break on you today? What does that lifetime warranty get you? A stiff Bait Casting Bassmaster and a package of assorted gummy worms :eek:

14. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    Huh? Check their website. They make a Kraken 5 that holds a 12 WFF and 300 yards of backing, weighs a smidgen over 8 ounces and is 4.45" in diameter. That's plenty big enough for a sailfish or tuna. That will be my next purchase from them.

5 4.45" 8.11oz/230g 2.17" 1.58" 12wt WFF + 300yd 30lb backing 12wt to 14wt WFF
    600gr to 1000gr Shooting Heads $229

Dipnet and Porter like this.
  15. Porter

Porter Active Member

I apologize....Powell does continue a fly rod product. Definetly not the focus of their products/company. Maybe if you broke an older well built fly rod you might get their one and only fly rod in exchange....and evidently it casts mono line with lb. rating. Pretty nifty for 349.00. Any one have/tried one?

Powell Fly Rod Endurance made with Maxumfiber

MODEL
    LENGTH
    LINE WEIGHT
    SEGMENTS

ENDURANCE 904-4
    9'0"
    4 lbs.
    ENDURANCE 905-4
    9'0"
    5 lbs.
    ENDURANCE 906-4
    9'0"
    6 lbs.
    ENDURANCE 907-4
    9'0"
    7 lbs.
    ENDURANCE 908-4
    9'0"
    8 lbs.
    ENDURANCE 909-4
    9'0"
    9 lbs.

16. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    It sucks when you have an old product that you love and it breaks. However, very few manufacturers continue to fix something forever vs trade it out or give credit towards a new item. Rod manufacturers swap a new model for an old one all the time.

But, you are right - Lamson USA's warranty on their LP reels is useless since the company no longer exists. Lamson was bought by Sage and then Sage sold it to Waterworks. Waterworks-Lamson continued to support the reel for a while. Last I knew, US Law only requires manufacturers to stock parts to service discontinued products for 7 years and as the LP was discontinued when Waterworks bought Lamson in 1998, they are well past that period. Depending on the purchase agreement, they may not have had to support the reel or honor the lifetime warranty at all. Based on the problems with the LP, I know I wouldn't have signed up for honoring the lifetime warranty if I were them.

However, Waterworks-Lamson does have a lifetime warranty on the products they produced, which started with the Velocity reel. For an old broken LP, the trade-in isn't $50 credit, it is 50% off a similar reel, which could be up to $180 off depending on the model.

"Late in 1998, we acquired Lamson from Sage Manufacturing. The LPs were discontinued and the remaining stock was sold. We are sorry to inform you that we no longer repair or have parts for LP reels and spools. Here are some options for you.
    • You can purchase a Velocity, Guru or Konic reel at 50% off retail price.
    • LP reels can be repaired by Bill Archuleta of Archuleta’s Reel Works."

Denny and Porter like this.
  17. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

It`s a shame how they`ve run that company into the ground .
    They used to make some nice sticks .

Porter likes this.
  18. Porter

Porter Active Member

A Kraken :eek: ....cool name!

19. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

It's a nice reel as well. Their best in my opinion. The drag is a beast and the reel is smooth and very quiet.

constructeur likes this.
  20. bennysbuddy

Hardy , will repair reels that a nearing 100 years old thats what lifetime warranty means no B.S. period