American Gold Finch

Discussion in 'Arts and Literature' started by Gary Hendriksen, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Patrick, Using Tupelo wood, it is alot softer than sugar pine.

I am having trouble keeping this photos in proper order, but you get the idea of how things are coming along.

2. Gary, I love your step by step photos. You are very talented. I can't wait to see the finished product. Are you entering any contests this year?

3. Amazing job there Gary!
    I noticed the grain on the Tupelo wood is very coarse. Out of curiosity, would a finer grained wood give better results or is it tougher to carve?

4. You don't have it painted yet? How long does it take you start to finish on something like this?

5. Gary hasn't done the burning yet.
    jack

6. You should see how long it takes him to complete a fish sculpture :D

(inside joke with Gary)

In his defense, he does own a business and does get side-tracked on other wood working projects.

7. WOW!! NICE WORK! I am amazed by that many detailed steps! This is so cool! Thanks for sharing!

8. Thanks everyone,
    Richard, Tupelo does have the gum lines that can be a pain, but for the most part it is the most popular carving wood. It carves easy and easy to wood burn.

New Tyler, This bird was a class bird I carved last summer, it was Monday through Friday class and we did complete the carving during class....so about 40 hours into the carving. It will take another 30 + hours to do the painting and habitat.

Jack is correct, I will post photos of the feather texturing and than wood burning soon.

Gene, I am going to be interrupted on this painting as I have to finish another project for a show.

Yuhina, Thank you, I am glad you are enjoying this

I guess I will have to do a fish ...Huh Gene?

9. Well yeah, a fish would be great -- but of course you know, I'll have to needle you to complete it if you start slacking off :)

Is there another show this year in Vancouver, WA?

10. So cool!!!! I can't wait to see the rest of this. The SBS has been fun to follow. Thanks

11. Oh Gary....... don't make me badger you again. So where's the rest of the bird photos?

12. Nice little birdeee.

13. Gary has this tendency to wonder off and work on other projects... he was showing a step by step for a fish sculpture on another site and it must have taken him a danged year to complete!

I had to keep needling him to complete the thing... :D

14. Gene knows me.... I've been working on 2 other projects, one of them is a minature chukar I just finished. I will post it up later. Here is the last of the carving photos. It is ready for paint. I see at least 3 other projects ahead of the Goldfinch painting so it might be awhile.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. WOW! I hope you don't mess up the painting :D What are you doing for the legs?