Ammo

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by freestoneangler, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Was surprised to see Sportco's shelves still nearly void of ammo months after the "hype". They had 9mm and a few other popular rounds behind the counter and a (3) box/person limit. The gun case was void of all but a handful of pistols.

Certainly the on-going gun debate is resulting in stockpiling activity and perhaps reflective of just how many guns are really in circulation that rarely got used but for which owners want to be sure they have ammo, but I would have thought this would have subsided by now and we'd see inventory coming back. I know the federal govt bought a crap-pile of ammo (very odd) and no doubt that is contributing. It could also be that the ammo companies are taking advantage of a supply/demand situation that will help them post some bonus profit?

Are those of you living well outside of the Seattle corridor or even other less populated states seeing the same issue?

2. I see handgun ammo on the local shelves but no .22lr or .223

3. One of the cigar club guys just returned from a trip to Texas, and said both Bass Pro and Cabela's in Houston were bare too.

4. Talked to guy on Alaska who said he was having troulbe finding but 12 gauge was on shelf in spades so no issues for him

5. Shelves have been bare in this area for some time. Dropped into my LGS and they are out of primers (rifle and pistol) and most powders. According to the owner they have no idea when they will see any more. On a positive note, I was able to find 3" 12 gauge slugs for cheap.

6. Seems like most people get into reloading for the cost savings, but protracted shortages like this are another good reason to consider it. I started recently and really like it. Even shooting a couple hundred rounds a month it pays back reasonably quickly. The flexibility is nice too.

7. Fly-by, I do reload, everything except rimfire. Not only is preloaded ammo in short supply, so are primers and powders. When there was plenty of ammo around (and primers and powder) I'd shoot 50 rounds a week per gun. I could maintain proficiency with each gun and spend a couple of days reloading and have my stocks back up. I haven't been to the range in a month due to a shortage of ammo and reloading supplies. Not much fun having guns and not being able to launch anything out of them.

8. Christ, I need another offshoot to my hobbies like a hole in the head. I've never reloaded -- what's the cost of entry, how much real estate does it take and what about risks?

9. LIke most things it depends...

How many calibers? How many rounds do you need at a time?

For a single caliber the Lee Breech Lock is a fine loader. Dies, scale, bullets, primers, you're in about 300-400 bucks. Check Craigslist for reloading stuff, sometimes there's a good deal. If you want to learn I can guide you. The only risk is not paying attention...

freestoneangler likes this.
  10. Not too much for shotshells with the Mec Jr series. Under $200, but get a digital scale to verify your load weights as a precaution. I reload all my .410 ammo but I can get everything else I have cheaper than I can reload it for. At least this year, anyway. Loading rifle ammo's different. Unless you're going to work to load precision rounds for a precision rifle, don't bother, it's cheaper to buy off-the-shelf ammo. What I mean by precision is this: Off the shelf ammo will yield a ragged group from one of my tack-drivers of about an inch, maybe a little less, at 300yds. With my own ammo, I expect to see one hole in the paper out to about 400 yards. When you're pushing 180 grains of match-grade boattail hollowpoint at speeds in excess of 3000fps, and everything's dead calm, including any thermals, you should be ringing the gong at 1500 yards with your first shot. So there's a lot of painstaking work involved with that. For common reloading , just don't exceed the recommended upper level on your loads, and don't smoke or drink while working on the reloading bench. Powder's not an explosive; just try not to catch it on fire:eek:

Space requirements aren't a lot. You should have a clean, well-lit workbench a couple of feet long. Since I reload both shotgun and rifle, as well as making my own arrows, I have a small room in my basement dedicated to this. Plenty of storage for reloaded rounds, components, tools and measuring devices in addition to the reloading presses themselves. Like I said, the Mec's not much, but I use an RCBS press for my magnum reloads, and along with the measuring and weighing devices, that's going to run above $500 any day. This doesn't include the required dies to reshape the shell casing before it's reloaded, the case trimmers, or the tumbler to clean the brass with. If you do bulk reloading, and are looking at what's called a progressive reloader, you're going to shell out big bucks, maybe over a grand!

11. Well, the wife and I pretty much only shoot 9mm for practice, so that would make up the vast majority. To a much lesser extent, .380, .44 mag, .22 mag, .22 LR and 12 gauge. I'd probably only consider doing my own loading if that becomes the only practical means of assuring a source of ammo or prices get really out of hand, but if that happens I suspect components would likewise start going up.

My gut tells me this artificial situation is just being protracted by Barry's insistence on pushing bullshit legislation that will do nothing to reduce gun related crime. I predict this (ammo shortage) should wane by years end...but who really knows? I do go to the WAC shows and thus far, bulk ammo for these calibers has been available...will be interested to see how that holds at the last Puyallup show of the season next week.

12. 9mm is economical because once fired brass is so plentiful and only about 3 cents each if you buy 1000.

.380 is pretty expensive to shoot factory loads and it often is hard to come by. Pretty cheap to reload if you don't mind handling the tiny case. I just bought 1100 pieces of brass for $50 yesterday, it only takes about 4 grains of powder ( a penny), a 7 cent cast bullet and a 3 cent primer. Even if you don't pick up the brass you are about 15 cents a round.

If you have an obscure or big-bore caliber it makes a huge differnce. 450 Marlin costs about 40 cents a round vs $1.50 or more for factory.

If you like to tie flies, chances are you'll like to reload. Similar repetitive process, just greater consequences if you mess up.

13. Well, just returned from the last WAC Puyallup show for the season. Wow, what an amazing difference from the January show where there was a line to get in easily 1000' long. Today was very quiet, but as I'm told by the regulars the last show of the year tends to be that way.

The price of ammo continues to climb. Last September I was buying Blazer, MagTech and Fiocchi 9mm for about $12/50 or 0.24/round. At the January WAC show I picked up bulk reload from Washougal for 0.27/round. Today, the best price for reload was 0.39/round.

A years worth of select events have created the perfect storm and we're seeing the law of supply and demand played out. Gun sales have gone absolutely asymptotic and all the existing and new owners have created a surge demand in ammo for them. I suspect that once the safes and cupboards are stashed with those extra boxes, the initial surge of new owners get through their first year memberships at the local gun range then loose interest and, God willing, our citizenry wakes up and squashes those politicians that attack our constitutional rights, prices will drop... but perhaps not again to what we've been use to for the last 5+ years.

14. We reload rifle, pistol and scattergun in .410, but I may go back and reactivate the 20ga reloader as well. Can't find ANY Winchester AA here, but I've got a ton of hulls. After all, isn't that what vice-moron Biden says: get a shotgun?

15. I'm starting to see more ammo on the shelves. About reloading, you can get the basics pretty cheap. A used single stage press, scale and powder measure should run about $100. A set of dies ($35) and a few other odd's and end's and you should be good to go. Get someone to help you the first time around. Mistakes can be bad!
    Get your components from Doug at upammosupply.com. He's local so you can skip the shipping, he can get you a great deal on powder/primers and is just a hell of a nice guy.
    For 9mm:
    $110 for 1000 Xtreme copper plated bullets
    $35 for 1000 primers
    $25 for 1lb of powder (which will load a lot more than 1000 9mm)
    Free brass if you just bend over and pick it up
    That's about $0.17 a round. Buy that stuff in bulk- 8lb jugs of powder, brick of 5000 primers.. you can get that down to $0.10-0.12 a round. Most cheap factory plinking ammo will run you .22-.25 a round and wont be as consistent in quality.