An Engraved fly reel

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Southernangler, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Southernangler

Southernangler New Member

I was lucky enough to purchase a new Chris Henson fly reel, a trout reel 3 inches in diameter. Although it is certainly a beauty in and of itself, I thought it might be fun to engrave it.

Fortunately, I knew a first class engraver, Neil Hunt, of Nisswa, MN. Neil has made several very nice belt buckles for me, some of which I have given as gifts. Examples of his work can be found at NRHunt.com. Neil is a wonderful artist and quality guy, very nice to work with.

I sent him the reel and gave him complete freedom to come up with a design. He emailed me photos of his design attached to the reel. I approved it and asked only that he add my initials -- "MBC" -- discretely somewhere on the reel. He complied and today I received the reel. I was frankly overwhelmed by the excellent quality and thought I would like to share the end product with forum members. Neil seemed to enjoy the challenge the reel presented and I suspect he would be open to commissions from other interested anglers. And, I plan to fish this reel, not just display it in a glass case.

Southernangler

IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0509.jpg IMG_0510.jpg IMG_0511.jpg IMG_0512.jpg

Jeff Dodd and Kent Lufkin like this.
  2. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Outstanding, just Awesome!

3. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

That's way cool

4. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Truly a work of art!

GBeeman

5. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

When I read the title I was like "how hard is it to write 'property of Joe Blow' on a reel?" This is taking it to a whole new level. Have the mods move this to the main forum so everyone will see it.

6. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Beautiful!!!!

7. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

That is stunning. Good onya for fishing it. Wall hangers are lame.