Anchovy

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jack Devlin, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Question for all the Saltwater experts out there: Are there anchovy in Puget Sound? Viable forage food?
    Joe Cordeiro (flatwing guru, Massachusetts) sent me a anchovy pattern to try out. Evidently, he ties them for California fisherman - probably for albacore.
    Jack
    ????
    DSC01048 - Version 2.jpeg

2. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

In the past couple of decades there have been some years that have had quite a few anchovies present in south Puget Sound area. IMHO they are a food source for salmon particularly coho. I have only seen anchovies in the stomach of a couple of adult coho. Adult chum salmon will readily eat anchovies dead drifted under a bobber.

Roger

Jack Devlin likes this.
  3. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    You'll be more apt to find anchovy closer to the ocean. You could maybe find some in the sound but not consistently.

4. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    There are and fly patterns theat represent them work well

chovy.jpg

Jack Devlin likes this.
  5. Jack Devlin

6. Jack Devlin

Kelvin. Great (sick) minds think alike.:)
    Jack

7. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

Jack Devlin likes this.
  8. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    we both tie flatwings
    enough said

9. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    I tie a flat wing with pink like that.
    Marabo rather than hackle.
    I think it mimics a smelt more than an anchovy

but what do I know

cchovy.JPG

10. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    So, being a newer tier, I must ask is when you tie a flat wing, it looks like were increasing the overall length of the fly with the full feathers. The hook is tiny in comparison and situated towards the front. Do you ever tie them with stinger hooks or is the forward based hook sufficient, even in the event of short strikers. This may be redundant or superfluous, but it is a question I ask myself when I look at "long" or streamer ties.
    :)
    Thanks in advance!

11. Jack Devlin

Eyejuggler,
    Keep in mind, flat wings, as created by Kenney Abrames, were designed with striped bass in mind. BIG fish,BIG mouths inhaling the fly. For Puget Sound we downsize the fly especially for cutthroat. I am thinking a stinger hook would destroy the action originally intended just as would weighting the fly. BUT, there is always room for experimentation. Trouble is, when we change things too much we often end up with a whole new animal. That's what makes it all fun. Last year I had success with flatwings in the 6-7 inch range for silvers and 3 inch +- for cutthroat which is not to say a cutthroat wouldn't take the 6-7 inch fly ( and they do). Looking forward to this year and experimenting.
    Jack

Eyejuggler likes this.
  12. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Nice info! Thanks for the reply Jack! Sorry I was unable to make it to your tie session at Gig Harbor...but if it happens again, I am so there :)
    You create some beautiful/practical works of art!

13. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Grew up on Discovery Bay just outside of Port Townsend and every June back in the 80's they used to spawn in the shallows of the bay. We would go fish in 20-30 ft of water and absolutely slay the Kings. They would chase the Anchovies and spray them 4-5 feet out of the water. Pretty incredible how things used to be.

SCARBOO

14. rotato

rotato Active Member

I saw anchovies spawn in a key penn creek a few years back
    I counted 14 eagles
    The caspian terns were eating heavy as well
    Eventually the eagles switched to eating the terns who were too busy to notice
    It was one active area for about about eight tides

15. rotato

rotato Active Member

To be more accurate it was in the tidal reach of a creek

16. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Dave, if Jack doesn't mind me jumping in here, when I first started tying flat wings a few years ago I was worried about short strikes but they have such great movement I figured it was worth the try. I think it comes down to where the fish is coming from, if it's following the fly you sometimes will get short strikes, but a lot (if not most) of time they're coming from the sides and they seem to know right where to hit them. I also think coho will miss more than cutts for that reason but I've caught a number of both using them. A trailer would take away some of it's action
    and I'd think you would also have a tangling problem as well.

It amazed me how many hook ups I'd get with even smaller cutts on quite large flat wings, they really are a great fly for the sound and I wouldn't hit the beach with out a few in my box. They also look really cool!!!!

Mark

Eyejuggler and Jack Devlin like this.
  17. Jack Devlin

Ditto Mark.
    Also:
    All fish, even trout, do not bite down on their food to capture it. If they did the food would squirt out of their mouth along with the water that was in the mouth before they closed it. They draw the water that the prey is within into their mouths through flaring their gills. Like a vacuum pump. They then close the mouth and empty the water through their gills holding the food inside their mouths. Sometimes we are too quick to set the hook and claim short strike. The secret to a good hook set is allowing the fly to enter the fish's mouth and then coming tight.
    Sometimes they do "short strike" for whatever reason. They goof sometimes too. Mis-judge. Change their mind at the last minute???? We strip too fast sometimes too. Whatever. I know silvers sometime just sort of bump the bait/fly. I have watched them do that. Why??? I don't know. It's all fun stuff.
    Nite all.
    Jack

Mark Mercer and Eyejuggler like this.
  18. Preston

Preston Active Member

Paul Schullery's The Strike does a great job of explaining the way a trout takes a fly. Filling that pleated structure under the throat then expelling it rapidly while flaring its gill plates and opening its mouth, the fish creates a powerful suction which draws a certain quantity of water (as well as whatever it contains) into its mouth. How successful this operation is depends on the reaction of the fly. In the case of a trolled fly, for instance, if the tension of the line is too great it might not not be drawn into the mouth, or not deeply enough to hook. Even in the case of a dry fly, Schullery feels that many, if not most, missed strikes, including many of those described as "refusals", are the result of the fly not behaving in the same way as a natural would. The fish does everything right but the imitation, because of its greater bouyancy, or inertia, tension on the tippet, or some other factor, doesnt respond to the suction pump effect in the same way that a natural insect would and remains outside the mouth.

19. Jack Devlin

When we have it all figured out it won't be fun anymore.:)
    Jack

Mark Mercer likes this.
  20. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Great info Jack and Preston, also as most of us have seen, predatory fish will sometimes hit and stun baitfish and then come back for it, I think we might take this as a short strike as well? Maybe if we just let it sit, instead of stripping it in to recast, we might be surprised when it returned. It probably wouldn't work for me.......I'm too impatient.:D